Yuck, Blown OME Strut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh, welp, after only having the shocks for about two months, one is blown. I don't think this is something that happens often. Any thoughts?

You must be registered for see images attach

Gonna call JBA, see what they say.

Also, don't mind the upper bumpstop, was doing some yankin on it a couple minutes earlier, that's why it's crooked.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Shock not a strut :cheers:

It doesn't happen very often but when you beat on them stuff breaks
Just order another one.
Its what I did when I blew one a few years back.

Last edited:

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shock not a strut :cheers:

It doesn't happen very often but when you beat on them stuff breaks
Just order another one.
Its what I did when I blew one a few years back.

Funny, I called it a shock too! I guess I just expected them to take the abuse a little better than two months. I was under the impression that the "get what you pay for" rule applied here.

edit: but I understand the "you're jeeping" rule still over-rules all.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny, I called it a shock too! I guess I just expected them to take the abuse a little better than two months. I was under the impression that the "get what you pay for" rule applied here.

edit: but I understand the "you're jeeping" rule still over-rules all.

Title says Strut, reason I said something
Now, Well depends on your version of abuse, they haven't made anything yet that won't break when abused to some point .
If back when you bought the Jeep and you took it out, buried it and ruined the transmission , would that of been Jeeps fault or whose ?
Now if something happened that there was a design or manufacturing flaw thats a little different.

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Called JBA, gave the me number to ARB. They are going to send me a replacement shock after I send them the required info. When the shock is going to be sent, no clue. Glad we have some movement though.

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Title says Strut, reason I said something
Now, Well depends on your version of abuse, they haven't made anything yet that won't break when abused to some point .
If back when you bought the Jeep and you took it out, buried it and ruined the transmission , would that of been Jeeps fault or whose ?
Now if something happened that there was a design or manufacturing flaw thats a little different.

And I hate to tell you Tom, many manufacturers stand by their warranties. If I bought a new Mustang GT500, and the clutch blew out during spirited driving- you're damn right I would ask for a new clutch, and on their dime. And guess what my friend, they would do it, and have. Many manufacturers would, and have.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ugh, welp, after only having the shocks for about two months, one is blown. I don't think this is something that happens often. Any thoughts?

Gonna call JBA, see what they say.

Also, don't mind the upper bumpstop, was doing some yankin on it a couple minutes earlier, that's why it's crooked.

I had a Bilstein one blow me a few months ago...didn't abuse mine at all. Didn't granny it, but used within the realm of what I'd consider fair game.

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think a manufacturer will cover a clutch. Historically, they haven't.

Do a quick search and find out. I think everyone is missing the point on a product designed to do a job that fell short. Obviously ARB did not. The guy I spoke with said that should never happen and will be sending me a replacement shock.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I hate to tell you Tom, many manufacturers stand by their warranties. If I bought a new Mustang GT500, and the clutch blew out during spirited driving- you're damn right I would ask for a new clutch, and on their dime. And guess what my friend, they would do it, and have. Many manufacturers would, and have.
Good luck with that,unless they can find a cause of failure due to a flaw they will chuck it up to driver abuse,plus if your outside the 12/12 warranty for clutches your SOL eitherway you look at it.

A 5min drive with the owner will tell you if the abused it no matter how nice they try and drive.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cleary abused no matter if a shock or clutch
Used to work in a Ford / Mercury dealership
no clutch was ever done that had been abused and you can tell when they were

Shock above was as well, you got lucky since they want good PR
Now if you didn't know the full story
But anyways you got one over on them

I guess I am too honest, when I blew one after leaving the rear bumpstops out and going off road I just bought a new one since I knew what caused it and how it happened

Last edited:

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleary abused no matter if a shock or clutch
Used to work in a Ford / Mercury dealership
no clutch was ever done that had been abused and you can tell when they were

Shock above was as well, you got lucky since they want good PR
Now if you didn't know the full story
But anyways you got one over on them

I guess I am too honest, when I blew one after leaving the rear bumpstops out and going off road I just bought a new one since I knew what caused it and how it happened

Tom, I respect that opinion. Unfortunately your definition of abused and mine must be different, when I spoke to Brent from JBA he agreed as well when he said "if that shock broke from abuse, other items on the liberty would have broke long before". Unfortunately for you, you are not making the decisions for the company, and thank god. This is pure and simple customer service. They don't need good "pr" as ARB is an established company that stand by their product.

After hearing your reaction to this situation it makes me seriously afraid for anyone to run ANY of your "tommudd suspension".

I have never really had and issue with you, I respect what you have done in the liberty scene, disagree with most of the time, but seriously-- you are an elitist prick.

I will make sure that I voice my opinion every where I can in regards to your level of customer service, and your thoughts. In this world customer service is a lost art.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After hearing your reaction to this situation it makes me seriously afraid for anyone to run ANY of your "tommudd suspension".

I'm confused on why I should be afraid to run an econo kit over what he has said to you.. That quote confuses me:pshyco:.

Tommudd doesn't sell these kits at all.

I think JBA is just giving the dude credit for coming up with a group of specific third party branded parts that work well together and make an affordable kit so they tossed his name on it just a name, Sort of like how Frankenstein isn't actually the one behind selling the Frankenlift's.

Does suck about the shock though. Glad to hear they are making it right and replacing everything.

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused on why I should be afraid to run an econo kit over what he has said to you.. That quote confuses me:pshyco:.

Tommudd doesn't sell these kits at all.

Anytime a company places your name on a product, you are endorsing said product. Now, when someone asks the question "Tom, I bought your kit, and the *insert part here* broke, whats the warranty like, I don't abuse the jeep, its my daily driver" His response, based on his logic clearly stated in this thread will be (with NO factual evidence) will be "welcome to the jeep game, things break, you're going to have to buy another shock".

Now, instead of buying a small company brand endorsed by a very well respected man in the Liberty community, I will not, due to the fact that I will never trust that company for support again.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anytime a company places your name on a product, you are endorsing said product. Now, when someone asks the question "Tom, I bought your kit, and the *insert part here* broke, whats the warranty like, I don't abuse the jeep, its my daily driver" His response, based on his logic clearly stated in this thread will be (with NO factual evidence) will be "welcome to the jeep game, things break, you're going to have to buy another shock".

Now, instead of buying a small company brand endorsed by a very well respected man in the Liberty community, I will not, due to the fact that I will never trust that company for support again.

I'm not trying to get in the middle of the squabble between you 2 or nothing but honestly if I have an issue with my lift I would probably contact JBA over Tommudd. Until you said it the thought never even crossed my mind to talk to Tommudd over a warranty issue if one arose from my lift. I'm just saying, That is a bit of a stretch is all.

I get you are mad at the guy and I can respect that so I'm not defending anyone or getting in the way of whatever you 2 got going so. so I don't mean to sound like a nuthugger here or nothing.

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to get in the middle of the squabble between you 2 or nothing but honestly if I have an issue with my lift I would probably contact JBA over Tommudd. Until you said it the thought never even crossed my mind to talk to Tommudd over a warranty issue if one arose from my lift. I'm just saying, That is a bit of a stretch is all.

I Understand it is a stretch, I just pray to god JBA does not have the same mindset as Tom, or else you're all screwed, including me, I run their A-arms!

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I Understand it is a stretch, I just pray to god JBA does not have the same mindset as Tom, or else you're all screwed, including me, I run their A-arms!

Edit: double please delete. And apologies for this thread.

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, to re-iterate how great the ARB customer service is, sent in email warranty claim, within 1 hour an email from Bill @ ARB, told me they sending me a replacement shock tomorrow, ended it with "cheers". ******** right I will cheers. Doesn't get much better than that. Period. Will always buy ARB products.

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ARB IS AMAZING. Sent me a brand new shock. No questions asked, I dont even have to send the bad one back. Just plain awesome. Only products I will buy is an ARB product from now on.

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ARB IS AMAZING. Sent me a brand new shock. No questions asked, I dont even have to send the bad one back. Just plain awesome. Only products I will buy is an ARB product from now on.

Of your 40 posts. 35 of them have raised your stupidity level.