Yet another noob question- IFS axel play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Ok. Rebuilding the brakes, replacing front wheel bearing/hubs and FINALLY doing the lift…However, upon inspection of the front passenger axel, the end that Mates with the diff has about 8mm of play. That’s roughly a quarter inch.

my problem is this: on a VW transaxle that’s well within limits. On a Jeep, I have no clue. No noise, no steering or suspension issues beyond what I’m aware of. However that end wiggles far more than the driverside when compared to opposite axel on same diff.

please enlighten me.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
On the passenger side you have the CV which then connects to the Intermediate shaft
That is a wear point there since the grooves wear in and both need replaced ( NAPA remanned and then Intermediate shaft )
So yes there will be play there due to wear
Driverside of course is just a short shaft CV that goes directly into the diff

For instance on the 04 replaced left side once at 198,000 miles ( over 100,000 miles lifted over 4 inches ) but right side 4 times, once due to torn boot, 3 due to wear

Right side goes often enough I used to buy 6-8 Intermediate shafts at a time due to most KJs coming in my shop needing one ( NAPA remanned used to be a in stock item so no waiting plus had plenty to turn back in )

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
On the passenger side you have the CV which then connects to the Intermediate shaft
That is a wear point there since the grooves wear in and both need replaced ( NAPA remanned and then Intermediate shaft )
So yes there will be play there due to wear
Driverside of course is just a short shaft CV that goes directly into the diff

For instance on the 04 replaced left side once at 198,000 miles ( over 100,000 miles lifted over 4 inches ) but right side 4 times, once due to torn boot, 3 due to wear

Right side goes often enough I used to buy 6-8 Intermediate shafts at a time due to most KJs coming in my shop needing one ( NAPA remanned used to be a in stock item so no waiting plus had plenty to turn back in )
Sweet! Thanks! I have an account at Motion Industries, parent company of NAPA… so erring in caution because previous owner was a slacker, just ordered both assemblies at cost for install this weekend.

Thanks yet again for the sage advice, I deduce your health is poorly. Do I need to stop by with a care package on my way out to the high desert?

Yinze sage advice has been paramount to this year’s permits and grants!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you get an intermediate shaft if replacing the right side , have to replace both if doing it right

My health was good, been fighting cellulitis on right leg and some other kind of crap on my left foot
But gotta get better have a lift to do in a few days LOL