POLL: Would you buy your KJ again??

• Yes

Votes: 51 69.9%
  • No

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • No, I'd get another Jeep (JK)

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If I ever get rid of mine, it will be for a JK. Otherwise, I'm keeping it.

Last edited:

04jeepkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ is paid off, and as much work and trail time i have had with my KJ not going to get rid of her anytime soon. Even after buying another jeep (89 XJ). Now i have to decide which jeep i wanna take out on the trails.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I would not, the MPG on the window sticker was dead wrong... With the intake and everything, I am maybe, getting 18MPG. Better than it was, but not 17-22 like it supposed to get. I was getting 16 and under when I first got it.

Too many LEAKS, axle shaft seals, diff seals, power steering hose, and a little oil from somewhere... Maybe that's just what 4x4s are all about, but no, not again. I only got it, because; I was in need of a newer ride, and had to be in the 200.00 a month or under range... SO I beat them up on the price, and they doubled the trade in value of my trade, and walla, $199.64 a month... Got a kbb valued 13,500 vehicle for well under 11,000.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hated the KJ when they 1st came out,then bought one exactly 1 year later.It was my 1st brand new vehicle.Thanks to a hail storm that resulted in $5500 damage to my KJ and then resulting to a killed resale value(damage disclosure) I started modifying it to no end.I could and have taken it anywhere a mildly modded TJ/JK can go,soon beyond.To much blood and sweat into this vehicle to sell,money is no concern.When somewhat stock form(before lift and tires) I was getting well beyond the stated MPG's,I can still out do the highway MPG's stated still,city is another story till I get the SFA done then expecting city MPG's to be close to 20+MPG's when I can regear correctly.No major breakdowns that where not my fault and that was only two things,a broken CV joint and lesson learned letting someone else work on my KJ(front strut assembly came apart on highway).Spent less money fixing problems on this vehicle then any other I've owned since I started driving in 1990.Beyond routine maintance I have only dished out less then $200 for problems,that was $120 for the MOOG K3199 LBJ's and $50 for the aftermarket belt tensioner,otherwise all have been routine maintance cost.The only times at a dealership or faults was the 2 LBJ recalls(taken care of with the MOOG's) and 2 bad belt tensioners,outstanding for a low leval vehicle.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, if it was at the price it is now (KK pricing) but at $30k I paid for it? NO. It was a big mistake.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yes I would, but I would also consider a Commander as more seating would be nice.
Aside from routine maintenance and wear and tear parts, we have had zero problems.
Fix it before it breaks is the secret to vehicle longevity.

We get quite close to the posted fuel economy!
If I stick to 100 110 Kmh on the freeway without the roof rack!
But with the roof rack, ski box and recovery gear, camping equipment, extra fuel, yeah, it goes down! But most vehicles do when loaded (Except my parents VW Diesel Jetta wagon, they still get 1200 Km per tank!)
For every day use, the ski box stays home and we get round 19-26 miles per gallon highway. (Depends on how you drive)
City does suck, literally!
Yesterday I topped up the tank and filled the jerry cans (93 liters) and on the return trip home we got round 24.5 miles per gallon. I can live with that concidering it is a 4X4 truck!

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I bought mine used in Feb of 07 for 17 grand. I priced mine out on Jeep.com after I bought it and it was about 31 grand...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure Ill ever buy anything with a V-6 again. Definitely wouldnt buy a Jeep with a minivan engine.. I would buy a kj again, just not with the 3.7. Maybe a CRD.

After driving a Hemi there is no going back...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Im not sure Ill ever buy anything with a V-6 again. Definitely wouldnt buy a Jeep with a minivan engine.. I would buy a kj again, just not with the 3.7. Maybe a CRD.

I miss the 4.0l 6. I agree, after having the Durango with the HEMI the wife won't have anything without......

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
would do it all over again. Bought mine 9/04 with never even driving one before I bought it. Over 120,000 miles later with over 80,000 lifted I have had to replace about 200 dollars worth of parts , ( besides regular maintenance items ) even still have the original brake pads on the rear!
On trips I maintain 20 MPG easy if no strong headwinds or anything crazy.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have loved mine and it has been my first vehicle for going on 6 years now. It still serves its purpose well, but I voted no, meaning that if it came to replace this, I would not get another KJ. That is just because I have switched my interests to where I would prefer something small that handles well (aka VW GTI, Mini Cooper S, 350Z, etc).

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I voted no but only because you couldn't get the 45RFE after 2002 and it's probably the best feature about the KJ.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I have loved mine and it has been my first vehicle for going on 6 years now. It still serves its purpose well, but I voted no, meaning that if it came to replace this, I would not get another KJ. That is just because I have switched my interests to where I would prefer something small that handles well (aka VW GTI, Mini Cooper S, 350Z, etc).

A new VW GTD! A diesel propelled GTI on steroids with someting like 63 miles per gallon!

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if money was no object then yes i would buy it again. or if the ****** that came in the 02 were in the 06s then yes i would buy it again.

other than the stupid gear changes in my 06 i have had no problems at all and i love it. it is my first new vehicle.

BUT, i paid it off in 2 years (new 25k with 5k rebate) and that is a good thing, but it also made me realize how much money that really is to be putting into a vehicle. sure its a 4x4 which is what i need at least in one vehicle we own, but i could have bought a perfect 70s something bronco at a car show for half the price and could have did anything and everything to it mechanically if the need ever arose.

heck, i could have gotten the 70s bronco AND a perfect 1970 f100 for very close to what i paid for this jeep. ( i love the 68-72 ford trucks) sure, neither one would have been as comfortable as my lib but still

i only regret it because of the price and the unavoidable mechanical issues that EVERYTHING eventually has to have. i dont like the idea of the high bills that will result from that on situations i cant work on.

if i made 100k a year, or even 50k, then none of this would be an issue.

either way i love the jeep minus the ****** gear changes and the price i paid. and this is all assuming i could go back in time at that very moment when i bought it.....a used one on the other hand for the right price, and ild jump all over it. :))

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know what to put down. I got mine as a gift from the parents a while ago because i blew my car up. My mom had it and said it was the best car shes ever had and refuses to get a KK. The liberty has been super dependable for me and has taken me across the country many times. The repair costs have been minimul and nothing compared to any other car ive owned. If i were to have a choice in the matter i would like to have something with a little more style and power. But im modifying the liberty and i can make it fit my likes. but for getting the job done the liberty has done a kick ass job!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were in the market right now like I was 6 years ago ,well my wife was
then NO WAY
we have not had a lick of trouble from the KJ but compared to what we can get today for the same money ,4 door JK with a BB and 33's right off the lot
same deal from the Toyota dealer down the road only they will do a DIO on OME coils and shocks then swap out the tires for the 285/75 MT or AT on an FJ

I guess for me it came down to the wife wanting an XJ and we had to hold out then the KJ came out and she gave that the 2nd place now we both would have gone JK or even FJ over the KJ but neither was an option when we bough the KJ
and truth be told the FJ would probably be my first choice over the JK
just because of all the stupid crap that has gone out on the JK
like ball joints breaking on the trails on both the dana 30 and 44 versions

just what I would buy

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score

What's that got to do with anything? Are mini-van engines some other special piece of crap? What jeep has a min-van engine it? Does it say MIN-VAN on the valve covers or the block, something? All these car companies use the same engine in many of their platforms, that just doesn't make sense.

I had a Mitsubishi 2.5 V6 in my Avenger, didn't get under 20MPG, and had decent power. It is a 3.0 block, underbored to 2.5, and can use the same heads as the 3.0 does.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I ever get rid of mine, it will be for a JK. Otherwise, I'm keeping it.

Ditto............But the KJ is a good Jeep and I havn't broke it yet and I am not sorry I got it.

Dave