Won't go into gears Manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeRecruit84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well I posted in another thread and read about this same issue. However I'm going to go into more detail about this.

So the other day I noticed the I had to man handle the shifter into gears while driving. Then yesterday I stopped to get my ID checked and it wouldn't go into gear at all. It goes into gears with the engine off or the Jeep in Neutral (2HI, 4LO, 4HI won't allow it to go into gears). The pedal seems ok because I HAD to drive it today and noticed that the pedal pressure is still there and the disengagement seems ok, well for 3rd gear at least. The clutch grip seemed fine before this, but there was noise while it was in neutral till I pressed the clutch down. Guessing that was the throwout bearing.

So I'm not sure whether to start at replacing the hydraulics (master and slave cylinders) or to just throw a clutch at it with a new throwout bearing. Any help right now would be appreciated.

I'm also stationed overseas in Germany, what is a website with the best shipping times and prices? I'm just stressing right now because I need to have a vehicle and driving it around in 3rd gear is going to kill the clutch real fast.

Thanks in Advance.

Chris

Bananas for scale---->:big_banana_Dance:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that you can pull off and drive in 3rd gear would seem to indicate that the clutch is working OK.

What oil do you have in the gearbox? All the Service Manuals insist on Mopar gearbox oil only...not ATF!

The slave cylinder, master cylinder, reservoir and connected piping all come as an assembly...pre-filled with fluid....you can check the level of fluid in the reservoir and top it up to the level indicated on the side but I doubt that is your problem.

If you get the clutch replaced make sure the shop does not machine the flywheel flat...it has a deliberate curve in it to match the curve in the clutch friction pad and can only be cleaned up slightly with Emory Cloth...not machined flat.

Sounds to me that you have a gear selector or internal gearbox problem!

RenegadeRecruit84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after driving to work today it seems to be shifting again. I have just been double clutching it to be safe as well. I think once some more paychecks come in I'm going to be doing a transmission fluid change on her.