wj - kj cross compatibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been searching all over south fort worth and cant find a good auto salvage yard with a 4x4 kj to **** the front drive train off of. I need everything. from my understanding the front drive shaft and both models of transfer case are the same. are the differential carrier and axles specific to the kj? And am I correct about the shaft and transfer cases?
im making my 02 4x2 a 4x4.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WJ is a solid front axle while the KJ is IFS.Nothing will swap over unless your planning on doing a SFA conversion and then the CV axled low pinion D30 is a very poor choice.The t-case will not even swap over unless the donor WJ has the 4.7 V8 with the 45RFE/545RFE trans.If you have a manual trans your SOL eitherway.

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have confused the wj and zj. But every time I search for the kj 242 selec trac on the web I get Cherokee ones. Do they Mount differently?
I have a 02 4x2 kj with the 45rfe auto. Stock everything. Im just now getting to fixing it up and will lift it after the 4x4 conversion. So the transfer case is cross compatible if its the rfe on the donor? And is it ok to install the tranfer case before the diff and everything and still drive in 4x2?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also is it worth getting the selec trac? Or will I be just fine with the the command trac. I dont plan on using 4x4 on the road very much if at all.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have confused the wj and zj. But every time I search for the kj 242 selec trac on the web I get Cherokee ones. Do they Mount differently?
I have a 02 4x2 kj with the 45rfe auto. Stock everything. Im just now getting to fixing it up and will lift it after the 4x4 conversion. So the transfer case is cross compatible if its the rfe on the donor? And is it ok to install the tranfer case before the diff and everything and still drive in 4x2?

The t-case will only work if it is coming out of a WJ with the 4.7 V8,you will also need the adapter of the trans also and a 4wd crossmember from a 4wd '02 KJ as the WJ one will not work.You will also need the shifter,shift cable,and all linkage brackets from a '02 4wd KJ as again the WJ ones will not work.

You can install and run it but you will need a rear driveshaft.

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get the Shifter and linkages off ebay because theyre small. But shipping makes the t-case twice as expensive. So I would be better off getting everything off a 02 kj any way? And I didn't realize the rear drive shaft on the 4x2 was different. I thought they just put a spacer on the trans in the place of a t-case.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no "better off" about it.

The fact is that NOTHING will swap between ANY grand cherokee and a liberty.

If you want parts for a liberty, you need to get then off of a liberty

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I will continue hunting for a suitable kj then

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a online auction that sells wrecked cars. Tommudd knows it. Find ya a wrecked KJ and part it out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best guess as to What kinda money would that involve, And what return might I expect? I'm in the South Fort Worth area of Texas.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea im sure a few grand, but you can get all the parts and bolts for the swap....im east of Houston and can't find any good KJ parts

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best guess as to What kinda money would that involve, And what return might I expect? I'm in the South Fort Worth area of Texas.

How much will it cost you? Who knows,depends on price of the parts and if your doing the labor or not. As for return price if you sell it will be almost worthless as a trade in since it is no longer stock and the VIN is incorrect so ordering parts will be confusing.

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to keep my kj till she explodes lol
But if I can get a free (not that I will) donor what kinda return can I expect on a full part out and scrap (minus the front diff, transfer case, shafts, and back door)? And I will do 99% of the work myself.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to keep my kj till she explodes lol
But if I can get a free (not that I will) donor what kinda return can I expect on a full part out and scrap (minus the front diff, transfer case, shafts, and back door)? And I will do 99% of the work myself.

Its hard to say really...depending on the shape of the parts and engine/****** condition, maybe a couple grand but after the 4wd stuff is out there isn't much left. But don't expect much like I said. If it helps I will buy the doors off ya when you get to that point.

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thatll help for sure lol. Ill keep everyone updated. I might try pick-n-pull in Fort Worth if they have a 4x4 libby. Ill find that out monday. What salvage auction sites are the best?

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need the front diff, mounts for it, half shafts, front driveshaft, tcase, rear driveshaft, shifter with boot and cable.

The transmission in an 02 is already the same as a 4x4, it just needs the output housing swapped.

Front diff needs to match rear gears or you need to swap that, too.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, wheel bearings are the same between 4x4 and 2x4, so you can keep yours. Just need to clean corrosion of the splines.

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Its nice to have a full list to look at. Confirmed what I was thinking. Although I wasnt sure about the output housing. Good to know. And my wheel bearings are pretty corroded. Going to take a bit of wd40 and steel wool to get them clean. Shouldn't be too bad. And since I dont have a front diff to remove it shouldn't be too bad to install. Thanks for the help. Once I purchase the first parts im going to start a progress thread cuz im sure im not the only one thinking about doing this. All ive found is confirmation that its possible. Not much more. And I have found alot of ppl saying its not worth it. But I want the experience and to have a 4x4 system that I built myself.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done it twice, but just swapped the front suspension and all over.

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know I have a resource. Is $250 a good price for the front diff and half shafts from a 05 at a local junk yard? Seems a bit high but I want a second opinion.