Wiper Arm Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jettyspicer

Reaction score
On my 2007 Liberty Sport, the wiper arms paint is worn and needs to be removed and repainted. I first tried what I saw on a you tube video by 1A-Auto and that had no effect on them at all. I next bought a wiper arm removal tool off of ebay. It's a pretty good design, but wasn't deep enough to get to the center stud. I then bought a battery terminal puller and this fit perfectly, but would not break them loose. If I put more force on the T handle, I am concerned that it will bend. And by the way, I have put PB Blaster on them at least 3 times. I also tried to run the wipers, without the nut, to see if that would loosen them as someone on this forum has suggested. I am out of ideas except for heat or taking it to my mechanic. Anyone know a secret that I am not aware of. All suggestion would be appreciated.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to push down pretty ******* the base where the nut goes
Then, it'll rotate up once loose and you can pull it off
I just did it about 2 weeks ago because I got new blades
The passenger side one is more of a pain to get off because of its location (especially once lifted) but after some very hard pushing and jiggling, it came off
I watched that video also but they make it look WAY easier, they probably already had it taken off and just set it back on for the video
It's never that easy, but it will come off with some heavy pushing and shaking I promise

Oh if you haven't done so already, make sure when you're trying to get it off that you bend the arm so the blade is closest to you (90* angle) and then push
Like so:
You must be registered for see images attach

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 2007 Liberty Sport, the wiper arms paint is worn and needs to be removed and repainted. I first tried what I saw on a you tube video by 1A-Auto and that had no effect on them at all. I next bought a wiper arm removal tool off of ebay. It's a pretty good design, but wasn't deep enough to get to the center stud. I then bought a battery terminal puller and this fit perfectly, but would not break them loose. If I put more force on the T handle, I am concerned that it will bend. And by the way, I have put PB Blaster on them at least 3 times. I also tried to run the wipers, without the nut, to see if that would loosen them as someone on this forum has suggested. I am out of ideas except for heat or taking it to my mechanic. Anyone know a secret that I am not aware of. All suggestion would be appreciated.

I used a very small pitman arm puller on mine. Worked like a charm.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need for any tools, bend the arm, push down like a *****, turn up and pull off

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you've got those arms off go ahead and take off the cowl and clean under there!
You can thank me later :waytogo:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to push down pretty ******* the base where the nut goes...
It's never that easy, but it will come off with some heavy pushing and shaking I promise

Oh if you haven't done so already, make sure when you're trying to get it off that you bend the arm so the blade is closest to you (90* angle) and then push
Like so:

No need for any tools, bend the arm, push down like a *****, turn up and pull off

I'm gonna give that trick a try. Just attempted to get my wiper arms off this past weekend to clean out the intake below the cowl and couldn't get the &*($*^@#& things off. I was PO'd!! :favorites68:

Should have known to check here first for good tips and tricks :waytogo:

Bob

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna give that trick a try. Just attempted to get my wiper arms off this past weekend to clean out the intake below the cowl and couldn't get the &*($*^@#& things off. I was PO'd!! :favorites68:

Should have know to check here first for good tips and tricks :waytogo:

Bob

Oh trust me it still isn't quite that easy
My passenger one was seized on there I thought, I was getting PO'd as well
It came off after fighting with it for a good 5 mins

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya I had mine off a while ago too.
I used a wide flat head long screwdriver to assist in lifting it upwards, after spraying with wd-40.
Use a bit of grease or anti-sneeze on the rear of arms socket, since you got to push them in again.
By the way if you still have factory glass, there are alignment marks, for when wipers are down or in parked mode.
The bottom of blade lines up horizontally across the marks...
57106[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• Windshield%20OEM%20Markings.jpg
    Windshield%20OEM%20Markings.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 3

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep^
And I would tighten them down a little lower than that line because I put mine right on and after using them they now stop above the line

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to get mine off last weekend to clean under the cowl but the damned things wouldn't budge. Ill give it another crack this weekend.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I am another wiper-removal failure story. I freely admit that and recognize that I am powerless over it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
While you've got those arms off go ahead and take off the cowl and clean under there!
You can thank me later :waytogo:
Yes have a shop vac handy because you never know what lurks under that cowling!
57108[/ATTACH]"]

^This is 12 years later and considered clean!
We should start a new thread: :" What did you find around your intake screen":happy175:

Attachments

• Jeep%20Intake%20Screen.jpg
    Jeep%20Intake%20Screen.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 1

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unbolt, hit it a few times with your hand (on the pivot point) and she'll come lose

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unbolt, hit it a few times with your hand (on the pivot point) and she'll come lose

Spray it with some of the good stuff first

Cheyne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just use these, at least on the Durango. I haven't done the Liberty yet.

Attachments

• image_18132.jpg
    image_18132.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 16

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are a pain to get off.

I love this forum and all the helpful and experienced people willing to share their experience and different ideas...

Dave

jettyspicer

Reaction score
I finally got them off today. Used a lot of the suggestions in this thread, but I believe the secret is to pull the arm back away from the windshield. I tried to hit pivot point and other stuff listed but in the end it was the wiper arm puller(battery terminal puller) that made the difference. Thanks to all that responded. For something that should be so simple, they can be a bear.

Cheyne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes have a shop vac handy because you never know what lurks under that cowling!
57120[/ATTACH]"]

^This is 12 years later and considered clean!
We should start a new thread: :" What did you find around your intake screen":happy175:

You got me curious, so this is what I found.

It's not as bad as I may have imagined after 10 years. I did, however, take the opportunity to spray a sanitizer, Ozium, in the fresh air intake since access to it doesn't work with the cowl in place. It wasn't a problem, perhaps tight, to remove the wiper arms with the 2 jaw puller. There probably would be more clearance with a terminal puller. The 2 jaw is on the shelf though.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 27
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 26
  • Jeep%20Intake%20Screen.jpg
    Jeep%20Intake%20Screen.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 4

jettyspicer

Reaction score
Finished priming/painting and reinstalling the wiper arms this morning. They sure do look a lot better. While I was at it, I also took off the cowling and cleaned as well. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Also put antiseize on the area where the wiper arms go into the spline. Help for the next time.