Winter Wheelin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys go offroad with your Libby's on snow covered trails?

I've learned that winter wheelin takes finesse. That the idea is to drive slowly on top of the snow not through it especially when you only have 2.5" of suspension lift.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on my limited snow driving experience, you Won't be able to really keep the KJ on top of any snow and it will end up burrying itself. Of course I live in teh desert so wth do I know. kopkrab.gif :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is easier to get stuck. There are a couple of dirt mountain roads up here that are not plowed and they are a mess. Turning off it onto a trail is tough. Especially after everyone elce and their monster high p/u and snowmobile has been there.

I got high centered trying to get into the driveway from an angle turning in through a 5' snow and ice chunk present left by the snow plow after a 28" storm last year. I rocked it out and went through in 4lo but after I got a straight shot at it. (like I should have in the first place cause I knew better) That would have been embarrasing, getting the KJ stuck in my driveway, huh.

Snow covered trails are tough especially since you can't see what is under the snow.

Dave

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went last year, good times. It's a little unnerving, because you don't know what you're driving over - can't tell if snow's drifted and how deep it really is.

I'd recommend going somewhere you know, so you don't drive over a frozen pond or something crazy.

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys go offroad with your Libby's on snow covered trails?

I've learned that winter wheelin takes finesse. That the idea is to drive slowly on top of the snow not through it especially when you only have 2.5" of suspension lift.

OK I give, how do you keep your KJ on top of the snow?
Mine sinks in everything except rock and hard ground!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to use 4lo for the first time in the Seattle snow. Been using 4hi all week, haven't had any issues. Well, there was this downhill situation in ice that got a little dicey, but that's another story.

Backed out of my driveway and couldn't make it over the pile of snow at the end due to the plows. So actually needed 4low. Worked like a haint.

Oh and word on digging yourself out. Grew up in new mexico and had lots of deep sand. Wasn't any situation you couldn't get yourself out of with enough patience.

AJ'S KJ

Reaction score
Where I live there is snow 8 of the 12 months a year so winter wheelin is awesome. And the best part is digging your self out!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where I live there is snow 8 of the 12 months a year so winter wheelin is awesome. And the best part is digging your self out!

For me, the best part is driving by everyone digging themselves out. That's when I know I made the right choice of vehicle.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happen to also have a YJ with a 4" lift and 33" wheels that I wheel with throughout the year. In the wintertime I can still go offroad on the snowmobile trails but only in the early spring after their season is over. The groomed trails are great for driving on but never alone or without a winch because its just a matter of time before you stray off the trail into the deep stuff.
You must be registered for see images attach

This pic was taken in April 08 and as you can see we still have lots of snow on the ground here in Canada in April.

sean150

Reaction score
That looks like fun LibertyFever, I'ts been a while since we had any good snow here in Toledo. Most of the time it's just ice and slush. Kind of ironic that the home of the Jeep is flat and covered with corn fields with almost no place to go wheeling.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Winter off roading can be fun and if the ground is frozen you do not have to worry about mud or soft ground. Best is hard packed snow trails.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've learned that winter wheelin takes finesse.

A favorite of mine: Try going up steeper hills in the winter. You have to finesse the throttle. When you get stuck back up a few inches and try again. I've made it to the top of snow covered steep hills one inch at a time. Use as little throttle as you need as more throttle equals tires slipping.