windshield tint?

windshield tint?

• 20%

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 35%

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wormwood

Reaction score
20 or 35?
2003 liberty with 20s in front and limo in back
50 on the windshield now and and already comfortable enough to go darker
but how dark is the question?
dont want to go with the lighter tint.. again. and end up to regret it
any personal experience in this would be appreciated
thoughts?

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will depend on state laws if that is allowed and how dark it can go. One thing that has always made me nervous is how dark the ''privacy tint'' my back windows are being a factory option. Since police around here love to pull people over for window tint all the time.

wormwood

Reaction score
I've had 50 on my shield for a couple of months now and just want a bit more privacy from the front. its like nothing is on there at all and am wondering if 35 would be the same or a noticeable difference

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the type of film applied for tinting as well, there's many different types out there to put on. I tend to be weary personally, its hard enough for me to see out of the back of the KJ at night through the center mirror when I do it by accident backing up. Usually I rely on the side mirrors since its habit from driving trucks for so many years.

wormwood

Reaction score
i personally love the fact i was able to apply limo tint over my factory in the back. it really help when someone has there high beams on right on your tail. i've gotten used to driving with it. will probable end up putting the limo on my front windows as well but for now my main concern is the windshield.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically its my understanding there is a minor degree of tint applied to windshields as is. Of course the top 10 to 20 percent of the windshield is ''tinted'' off to reduce overhead glare. I know Ford is huge on their ''Solar Tinting'' which really does reduce heat build up inside their cars. I had that with my Focus and was fine with that which the Solar Tint was all around, from windshield to back window. All windows including windshield are tinted at about roughly 10 percent. The Privacy Tint is fine with me when some nitwit has to drive with illegal HID's or High Beams on, I really don't even have to flick the mirror to dim out their lights when they come up on me. I also have my side mirrors adjusted properly out so when they go around me they get an eye full of their own bright lights and I don't get blinded.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^Yeah that. The darker you go, the more your vision is obstructed. Only 3 states; Hawaii, North Dakota and Ohio allow you to fully film the windshield with 70% light transmittance (30% tint). With the rest of the states, you are limited to only have a certain measurement down from the top (visor).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
^Yeah that. The darker you go, the more your vision is obstructed. Only 3 states; Hawaii, North Dakota and Ohio allow you to fully film the windshield with 70% light transmittance (30% tint). With the rest of the states, you are limited to only have a certain measurement down from the top (visor).

ha ha just try and tint your windshield in Ohio
You won't make it far down the road
even the front side windows can only be lightly tinted

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in canada only allowed 5 inches form the top of the window and 3 iches from the bottom .. doesnt matter how dark... hell i have stickers in the middle of my m,azda window L:OL

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Alberta, Canada you can tint as dark as you want on the windshield as long as it does not go beyond the ASI line on your windshield.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All these regulations may or may not matter if you have lenient cops in your area. But there are a couple of towns by me where they are looking for any good reason to pull you over if you're out late at night/early morning. That's when they make all the DUI busts. Not that I have anything to worry about, but still, you're giving them a reason to single you out.

wormwood

Reaction score
i appreciate the privacy of it. the tint laws are unfortunately not my top priority in the matter. after having 50% on the shield who would want to drive without it? you have no idea what your missing out on. yesterday i re-tinted my fronts 5%. i love every minute of it. the question of my windshield still remains and am very open to the opinion of people who have had theirs tinted

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a Liberty group on Facebook you should check out. I think you would fit in perfect over there and I'm more than certain several members there could help you, since they probably have the same thing done.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, if you hit someone, and it's your fault, you're wide open for a huge lawsuit as they can claim your clear vision was obstructed by an illegal tint.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tinting the windshield is just stupid... leave it .. like he said if you hit someone OR get hit by someone .. YOUR field of vision was obstructed... lemme guess the average settlement is 68 thousand dollars?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Could never ever see doing the windshield,
Heck I don't even have the front sides done since I pull a trailer a lot and want to see it and be able to back up. Having the windshield done is just asking to hit something I would think

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once had the somewhat equivalent to a tinted windshield on a 4th gen Camaro of the past; smoked headlight covers, it was like driving with dark sunglasses on. I couldn't see anywhere close to a safe distance, I was easily over-driving the lights. It gave me the creeps thinking something could come up on me with not enough time to react, we do have plenty of deer here too that don't follow the rules of the road. I couldn't stand it and took the damn things off.

Latest posts

Members online