Windshield Info.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SETexasLibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chipped my windshield on the way to work and it has already ran 5 inches. How difficult is it to located an OEM replacement? I ask because I don't want to go to the Stealership for it. Any input?

ALSO, does a deflector that goes infront of your hood help? I live in the country and my drive into town is riddled with 18 wheelers, dump trucks and etc. its like warfare out there. PLEASE HELP! :(

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A deflector would help direct the air stream over your windshield.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so much for that notion that you gotta fix those dings as quick as possible before they run.

Sure, as long as I could have the windshield repair people out in 15 minutes after the ding. My first ding ran 3 or 4 inches before I even finished driving in to work, and my second ding ran all the way across the bottom of my windshield by the next morning.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had 2 chips repaired on my windshield. Just found that I had a new hairline crack running through one of the repaired chips... but because of the location of the new crack in the glass, it can't be repaired.

So now I'll have to monitor it, and once it's on the move, I'll have to have the entire windshield replaced. :mad:

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm when i got my chip fixed the repair guy handed me a warranty for the chip.. if it ever cracks again there they will replace the windshield.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had 2 chips repaired on my windshield. Just found that I had a new hairline crack running through one of the repaired chips... but because of the location of the new crack in the glass, it can't be repaired.

So now I'll have to monitor it, and once it's on the move, I'll have to have the entire windshield replaced. :mad:

And move it will. First real cold weather you get, or the first time you go offroad, it'll move dramatically.

Everytime I go off road the shorter of my two cracks gets about an inch longer.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Wonderful. :( I assumed once winter hits I'll have to have it replaced. Really hoping not until then though.

I've got a couple of off-road trips between now and then... so we'll see.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carry 0 on comp, and tell them always to replace the windshield. I do not trust the repairs.Windshield is part of the roof crush factor, bad or cracked windshield in a rollover, could mean totally caved in roof.
Here at work they replaced a windshield, I talked to the Tech, he said he never would allow a repair on his personal vehicle. The other company truck he looked at he said that it could be repaired but he'd write it up as a replacement too.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How do you guys get cracked windshields? I put about 500 or so highway miles on mine a week, no damage. Heck, only time I replaced one in the past 10 years was on the Durango from me changing wiper blades on it....

SETexasLibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you guys get cracked windshields? I put about 500 or so highway miles on mine a week, no damage. Heck, only time I replaced one in the past 10 years was on the Durango from me changing wiper blades on it....

I live out in the country and further south they have refineries and concrete/select fill plants so theyre is constantly traffic (semis, dump trucks and etc.) hauling back and forth.

nosights

Reaction score
Insurance should cover this...some companies may not cover a $100 deductible...but the vast majority of windshield repair places will waive the deductible.

Repair OR Replacement by the way...even with minimum insurance. Windshields are considered safety and NOT cosmetic.