Will This Roof Basket Fit My KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.jcwhitney.com/URBAN-RACKSWhich one of these, if any, will fit my 2005 Liberty Limited?

It says it will fit any factory rack. Does the mean it will fit the long bars or do I also need the factory cross bars. It looks like the silver one is attached to a Greand Cherokee, but I can't tell how it is attached.

Has anyone had experience with this roof basket?

What are some other cheaper alternatives? I just want a decent looking basket and I need to know what to buy extra to get it on my roof.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.accessconnect.com/safari.htm

It looks like this one is also good. It would be about the same price as the urban one after buying the mounting bars. Those mounting bars look awfully close the the Urban ones. I am wondering if they are the same and come with the Urban basket without having to buy the separate? It would make sense as it is about the same price as buying the Safari basket and the mounting kit.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the Urban one or both?
The Urban one you will need crossbars,the second one you will not,just need some 2 1/2" u-bolts to attach to the OEM rails.

We make a nice all steel rails/rack that is much stronger then those set-ups,I stood on mine(I'm about 190lbs) and had my 90lbs spare on my Gecko basket rack and the bars didn't budge at all,plus a direct bolt in,no modifying at all.
You must be registered for see images

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We make a nice all steel rails/rack that is much stronger then those set-ups,I stood on mine(I'm about 190lbs) and had my 90lbs spare on my Gecko basket rack and the bars didn't budge at all,plus a direct bolt in,no modifying at all.
Can you provide me a link to it?

Thanks everyone for their responces.:)

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As awesome and sturdy as that thing looks, it is about double my price range.:(

The Urban one you will need crossbars,the second one you will not,just need some 2 1/2" u-bolts to attach to the OEM rails.
Measuring the side rails on on my KJ, I see that the 45x50 inch basket will slightly stick out over the production side rails? Where would you attached the basket with the u-bolts to the rails since the rails are curved?

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been doing more researching. Both The Urban and Safari baskets seem to come with the needed cross bars from all the places that sell them. The only thing you need to fit them to the KJ is the $100 Surco adaptor.

This seems to be the place with the best deal that I have found so far for the Safari one. Safari Basket w/Mounting Kit

I believe I would rather have the Urban one, but I can't afford the extra $100 that it would take to get it.

Last edited:

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hi TjKj
I live in England, and I'm shopping for kit - not just to use off road, but also for touring into N Europe and Scandinavia. I'll be ordering the Rocklizard sliders and rear bumper(and maybe a front bumper once I see the designs), but I'm also looking at a roof rack. I was thinking of the RL Gecko rails and a Garvin sport rack and accessories, but the Gecko basket rack looks really good too. My only question is how do you fit stuff to it? I was thinking of jerrycan holders, tool (axe, shovel and hilift) holders? The KJ is not yet really used in this country for off roading or rough touring, so I have to get everything from the US and Australia, which means I have to pester guys like you who use and know the gear.
Thanks
Adrian

Last edited by a moderator:

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a couple pieces of Electrical Strut, some people also call it Kendorf, and a few of the adaptor clamps that fit in the strut and wrap around the factory rack. (I think they were the 1 1/8 " models) There strut is light weight and very strong and looks much like a piece of channel iron, the adaptor ride in the slot and clamp unto the vehicle rails with bolts through the bottom clamping the two pieces to the rail. The top has multiple slots to run bolts, bungee cords, rope, just about anything through to tie down equipment or mounts for jacks, shovels, etc.
You can weld taps or bolt them on as needed for lights, antennas etc. also.
The U bolts on my basket fit around the strut very easily also. Think I had $18 dollars US involved when I was done with mine.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Have you considered a roof box?
Not as much noise as a "basket" at freeway speeds and holds alot of stuff alot easier than a basket.
Trust me I know, I have both. Not to mention that "baskets" also decrease the fuel economy and a box is more aerodynamic.

Last edited:

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a roof box?
Not as much noise as a "basket" at freeway speeds and holds alot of stuff alot easier than a basket.
Trust me I know, I have both. Not to mention that "baskets" also decrease the fuel economy and a box is more aerodynamic.
I am going for functionality and looks. I'm not sure a box is the look I am looking for. I also don't worry about the noise or the minor decrase in mileage.

Dave Haggard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted a surco safari basket - it came with everything necessary and installed in about 30 minutes. For the price it seemed my best option and it holds all my camping gear just dandy!
go to autoanything.com

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the surco with light brackets, its a very easy install and it looks awesome with the lights mounted (i use hella ff 500)

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the surco with light brackets, its a very easy install and it looks awesome with the lights mounted (i use hella ff 500)

I agree, the Surco basket is great but it is taller than that other model.

(please ignore the tow strap)

Here's a pic of somebody else's Libby with a Wilderness Rack.
You must be registered for see images attach