Will this fit my KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think need 2.5inch pipe.

I'd be willing to debate that, the Thrush I installed on my '05 Renegade had 2.25" pipe at both ends, slipped right over the existing pipe and clamped right on.
The stock exhaust pipe is 2.5" but reduces down to 2.25" where it connects to the stock muffler. I can only assume it depends on exactly where you cut the pipe, I cut my pipe close to the old muffler and it required 2.25" connections.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK I will debate it :D
The stock muffler does in fact go down to a 2.25 but the rest of the pipe before and after the muffler is 2.50 inches, you cut out the muffler and have a free flowing 2.50 system all the way back from the last cat I have nevre heard of any one running anything but a 2.50
Now back to you Surf!

avalanchejf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much do you think it would cost for someone to install that for me? Because i can't install it myself and i would rather it welded on??

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much do you think it would cost for someone to install that for me? Because i can't install it myself and i would rather it welded on??

Search for "muffler" using the forum search tool. This question has already been answered.

It varies from state to state, shop to shop, welder to welder.

From "Liberty headlight Eyelids" thread, page 11, post #101:

It depends on how loud you want it. My Super 44 is pretty loud but I've also got a bigger tip on there, I didn't keep the stock one.

Super 44's are about $80. I got my muffler plus the new stainless steel tip welded on for $140 total.

avalanchejf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search for "muffler" using the forum search tool. This question has already been answered.

It varies from state to state, shop to shop, welder to welder.

From "Liberty headlight Eyelids" thread, page 11, post #101:

Oh yea i forgot thanks tho!

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
harbor freight 90 amp flux core mig welder can occasionally be had for $90 with a coupon. I got one a few years back and it has saved at least a few hundred bucks at work and while it is nowhere near powerful enough to do a front or rear hitch (at least with my skill) it does great on exhaust tubing (went through 3 iterations on the pickup and it cost just materials to change it up so very cheap).

I am sure the difference is very negligible, but I wonder how much difference there is between keeping the 2.25" bottleneck and going full 2.5"

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I will debate it :D
The stock muffler does in fact go down to a 2.25 but the rest of the pipe before and after the muffler is 2.50 inches, you cut out the muffler and have a free flowing 2.50 system all the way back from the last cat I have nevre heard of any one running anything but a 2.50
Now back to you Surf!

Tom,
I cut my stock muffler off right at the muffler (with a sawzall) where the pipe has reduced to 2.25" and connected the Thrush at that point on both ends. 2.5" was too big, 2.25" was a perfect fit. Now if the stock muffler is reduced to 2.25" at the muffler, then another muffler with a 2.25" inlet and outlet should not only fit, but not effect exhaust flow any worse then the stock unit....it's hasn't on my Liberty, I actually got better throttle response, I'm getting better mileage, and it sounds good without being obnoxious.

Now, if you cut the stock pipe before the reduction in diameter, then you would be correct in that it is 2.5", for my particular application of installing the shorter in length Thrush, it just make sense to leave as much of the stock pipe in place as possible and utilize the 2.25" connections it left me....

Last edited:

avalanchejf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys i have a question about my hubcaps...i have like a shiny kind of hub cap if you know what i mean and i was wondering if i am able to paint it black? does anybody know?

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys i have a question about my hubcaps...i have like a shiny kind of hub cap if you know what i mean and i was wondering if i am able to paint it black? does anybody know?

Rustoleum has a hammer tone finish paint formulated (much like Krylon Fusion) to stick to plastic and most any other surface. Either that or the Krylon Fusion will work.....