Will these work on my 05 Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oil_rider

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First off, sorry, bit of a new-B.
I've figured out that these are not the reccomended sized tires, (a bit small), but I'd like your thoughts as to if they could work.
If so, I've saved myself alot of hassel as I've come accross a good deal on some used snow tires.

Will these work with my 2005 Liberty?
215/70R-16

(Wikki says I can use 215/75R16)

If they would work, will they work with the following rims?
5x114.3mm (5x4.5") w/43mm offset
(the normal jeep liberty offset I think is 38mm, 'cording to wikkipedia)

I do have some rims off an old grand cherokee which should work, but if I don't have to swap them, that saves some time, effort and $

Thanks so much for your advice.
Cheers
Brianhump.gif

oil_rider

Reaction score
Thanks,

Any problem with the offset on the rims?
Will they work, or would I have to change them to a different set?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? How does that work?
Smaller diameter tires have a shorter circumference thus increasing the the rpm's at any given speed.Basically it's just like gearing lower in the diffs but keeping to stock tires on,you will turn higher overall rpm's at any given speed.

Tire size and gear ratio's are closely related to how they effect your overall performance.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
why would you want to go that small? Most want to go bigger, they may be a good deal but is it worth it to drop down that far not as tall etc

oil_rider

Reaction score
why would you want to go that small? Most want to go bigger, they may be a good deal but is it worth it to drop down that far not as tall etc

When I compared the tires on one of those online tire compares, it said the overall difference was minimal, only about 1" total. The speedo would be out about 3-5mph...

I didn't really think it was that big of a deal....

So, is everyone of the consensus that I should stick with one of the stock sizes, or is anyone in favor of this?

Thanks
B.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I compared the tires on one of those online tire compares, it said the overall difference was minimal, only about 1" total. The speedo would be out about 3-5mph...

I didn't really think it was that big of a deal....

So, is everyone of the consensus that I should stick with one of the stock sizes, or is anyone in favor of this?

Thanks
B.
The tire maybe only 1" shorter but the circumference will be drastically shorter then a OEM sized tire which drastically effects the revolutions per mile.Now a tire with a .4" or less overall height difference is not a huge deal(if any) but 1" is alot.

1 vote for staying with at least a stock sized tire....................

215/75R16
225/75R16
235/70R16
235/75R16
245/70R16

Above listed will all work with zero or very minimal rubbing(depending on tire style and suspension sag,mainly the last 2 sizes).

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
The tire maybe only 1" shorter but the circumference will be drastically shorter then a OEM sized tire which drastically effects the revolutions per mile.Now a tire with a .4" or less overall height difference is not a huge deal(if any) but 1" is alot.

215/75R16
225/75R16
235/70R16
235/75R16
245/70R16

Above listed will all work with zero or very minimal rubbing(depending on tire style and suspension sag,mainly the last 2 sizes).

IMO,sound advice.

oil_rider

Reaction score

215/75R16
225/75R16
235/70R16
235/75R16
245/70R16

Thanks for all the feedback TJ and crew.
I'm going to stick with your advice, and hold out for a stock sized tire.
Because I'm looking for a Snow tire, I'll opt for one of the first 4 - when you get the build up of now and ice in the wheel wells, that would just add to the potential rubbing issues.