Why is a KJ so HEAVY...???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
HowHHis does the liberty's curb weight compare to it's competitors in it's class?

I did like what I seen in the crash test video.

I don't have the numbers in front of me right now, but I have seen them. You'd be surprised. While the Liberty is still porky, compared to the fact that most of its competitors are weaker vehicles in build and components, the Liberty is pretty lightweight, lol.

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
overall, i am satisfied on my pick for the ole lady. impressive crash test, roomy, not too horrible on gas and better off-road capabilities than its competitors

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take my porky Jeep over anything else in its class! I feel safe in it, and if i feel safe then my mind is at ease when i have my full family in it.

I have driven and test driven many SUV's over the years, but when i test drove my KJ it just felt, well, solid.... Less road noise, less rattles and squeaks, close the door and the outside noise goes away, it just seems like a better build quality. Jeep seems to have a damn good attention to detail when it comes to strength and quality.

Sure they have had recalls, who doesn't these days right?? But lets look at the things they have actually had problems with.. Lower ball joints? Ok, could have happened to anybody, they don't actually manufacture those joints they have them made for them i'm sure. Window regulators, ok that was more of a poor design there using that plastic piece instead of metal, but as a company you have to save money somewhere, and being a vehicle you do need to try and save weight also, though i don't know if that was in consideration when they designed them.

As for other common problems we see on the KJ, cracked radiator tank, warped rotors, leaking water pump, a failed belt tensioner pulley... These are all items that just go to heck with regular use, what i like to call wear items that can't be avoided. I will agree it was probably a bad choice to use the plastic tanked radiator but its not like the KJ is the only one out there running it, not too many metal tanked radiators being put into production vehicles now.

I truly think if someone made an all aluminum replacement radiator for the KJ they would make money on it and recapture their tooling costs in no time. There is a lot of us out there, and some have experienced that failure once or even twice, and the rest of us are probably just waiting to have it happen to us. At one local shop i see a pile of radiators out of all makes and models out back each month waiting for the recycling company that picks them up, nine times out of ten its due to a cracked plastic tank, so we are not alone there.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always looked for more heavy vehicles. There weren't all tanks, but I wouldn't drive a Neon, Cavalier, or Sunfire-type.

1986 Firebird, 1991 Daytona, 1996 Bronco, 1999 Grand Prix, and now the 2007 Liberty.

Truth be told, I am a GM guy. I understand them better and I just prefer GM. The truth of it is, though, no other manufacturer has a Liberty-type of vehicle, which drove me to Jeep.

I wanted the heavier Liberty with the real axle in the rear. I wanted to be able to tow and to have REAL 4wd. Anything Ford, GM, and even foreign manufacturers have in a similar-sized vehicle is a light-duty AWD crossover.

To get a pickup or a full-size SUV it'd be a good $10k-$15k more than what I paid for the KJ.

So, I own a Jeep. :D

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always looked for more heavy vehicles. There weren't all tanks, but I wouldn't drive a Neon, Cavalier, or Sunfire-type.

1986 Firebird, 1991 Daytona, 1996 Bronco, 1999 Grand Prix, and now the 2007 Liberty.

Truth be told, I am a GM guy. I understand them better and I just prefer GM. The truth of it is, though, no other manufacturer has a Liberty-type of vehicle, which drove me to Jeep.

I wanted the heavier Liberty with the real axle in the rear. I wanted to be able to tow and to have REAL 4wd. Anything Ford, GM, and even foreign manufacturers have in a similar-sized vehicle is a light-duty AWD crossover.

To get a pickup or a full-size SUV it'd be a good $10k-$15k more than what I paid for the KJ.

Amen....
:)

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM guy as well. My father worked for GM, has always owned GM...so I guess I followed in his steps...I've had a 95 C1500, 97 Camaro Z28, 98 Blazer, and 00 Camaro SS (hence my screen name) but decided on a Liberty for the wife with everything mentioned put into consideration and I am exceptionally pleased

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after owning a few V8, full size, full frame pickups and SUV's I can't say that I feel like my KJ is a heavy vehicle or an exceptionally solid one for that matter. But it has impressed the hell out of me.

Last edited:

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

(kneel)
Yep, pretty much my thoughts other than wanting the Libby, that was my wife's choice. I Got the Tahoe cause I needed a 4x4 family vehicle with a V8 for my pulling needs, which tops in @ a little over 7K #'s. The Libby is okay for my wife, granted you all are correct on it's a fairly stout litttle vehicle, just too little for me. Since GM quite making the Blazers, I do like it for the tow rating... if needed. Now if I could just make it ride better( yeah I know, lift it;)) and have seats that don't stain, it would be golden!!!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(kneel)
Yep, pretty much my thoughts other than wanting the Libby, that was my wife's choice. I Got the Tahoe cause I needed a 4x4 family vehicle with a V8 for my pulling needs, which tops in @ a little over 7K #'s. The Libby is okay for my wife, granted you all are correct on it's a fairly stout litttle vehicle, just too little for me. Since GM quite making the Blazers, I do like it for the tow rating... if needed. Now if I could just make it ride better( yeah I know, lift it;)) and have seats that don't stain, it would be golden!!!

I'd love to have a Tahoe, but I wanted a new vehicle and couldn't shell out $40k for a 4x4!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um...

Real truck.
Real chassis.
Stiff Unibody
5-Star Safety
Tall
And honestly, it's not really as small as it seems... it's actually kinda big. It just looks small.

Kind of. I always swore the old Cherokee was smaller than the kj, until I parked next to one and realized mine was bigger in some ways (taller).

However, my KJ often has a smaller footprint than many small sedans and compacts. I live in a town where parking is a premium and EVERY parking lot (where they even exist) have the words 'COMPACT' written on it. I fit into those spots fine where some subarus and other small or midsize sedans have trouble fitting into them.

Don't even get me started on the Suburbans, Expeditions or Excursions (to just name 3)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even the Rubicons, plus other 2-door rag-top and "take doors off" jeeps have a lot of weight. It has a lot to do with the uniFrame construction. They made them to last, and to be durable.
Actually the Rubicon's,both TJ and JK, are body on frame and weigh about 300lbs-700lbs less then the KJ(besides the 4dr JK).

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This series of posts have been quite informative, even as I had my own post contemplating trading my 2007 Liberty. To answer your question - real diffs front and rear, real transmissions/transfer case - i.e.; a real off roader, unlike the myriad of cross-over sport-utes. I just went through some angst of deciding whether to keep my 2007 Liberty 6 spd, but, in the end, there's not much to replace it. Basically, like a few others have posted, I was GM guy, but $40,000 for a Tahoe was a little much. I had recently considered the switch to either a Silverado SWB or Wrangler, but decided I was giving up too much utility in the Liberty. I think the Liberty has a curb weight around 3800-3900 lbs, which means a lot of metal reinforcement in critical areas.

The few complaints I have about the Liberty are needs more ground clearance and should have skidplates and tow hooks standard.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
This series of posts have been quite informative, even as I had my own post contemplating trading my 2007 Liberty. To answer your question - real diffs front and rear, real transmissions/transfer case - i.e.; a real off roader, unlike the myriad of cross-over sport-utes. I just went through some angst of deciding whether to keep my 2007 Liberty 6 spd, but, in the end, there's not much to replace it. Basically, like a few others have posted, I was GM guy, but $40,000 for a Tahoe was a little much. I had recently considered the switch to either a Silverado SWB or Wrangler, but decided I was giving up too much utility in the Liberty. I think the Liberty has a curb weight around 3800-3900 lbs, which means a lot of metal reinforcement in critical areas.

The few complaints I have about the Liberty are needs more ground clearance and should have skidplates and tow hooks standard.

You can add those and make it even heavier like a lot of us do.....:D

Dave

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
these things are tanks when i t boned that altima my seatbelt didn't even lock up and that ladies passenger door was touching her console. these things are solid, tough, and can definitely hold their own ground

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i lightened'r up bout 100lbs and gained more offroad capabilities as well...removed rear sway, jeep nuts (driveline vibration damper) and the reciever hitch.

noticed i 'flex' better offroad as well

Latest posts

Members online