Why I need new tires...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took some clips out messing around today with the Jeep. I have Goodyear Integrity tires on it, they were on it when I bought it. I found that they are a car/van tire, and I can't wait til they wear out. So I decided to take out the Jeep today and see how capable they were. As expected they weren't all that great. Enjoy...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5398949069963231856

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New tires would easily assist in the last hill climb. However, I think a little more speed, walking of the tires, and using both hands would have helped lol.

All Terrains or Mud Terrains for new tires?

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
New tires would easily assist in the last hill climb. However, I think a little more speed, walking of the tires, and using both hands would have helped lol.

All Terrains or Mud Terrains for new tires?

Yeah, some momentum would've helped, but there was really no good way to do that right off the road like that. I tried it many more times that aren't in the vid at different angles, and no matter what, it would slide its way back to the same spot, and a rock that was in the way of the left front wheel would stop it, just couldn't get around it. That hill was actually the same spot from right at the beginning of the vid. It just wasnt tore up enough yet at the beginning and I walked right up it.

As far as tires, I don't have many choices with the 17", but I think I can move to a 245/65/17, and I can get Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, or Cooper Discoverer H/T's, both of them look descent, so I may go that route.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if you are looking for mud performance even a good A/T doesnt make much of a difference over street tires. You need some M/Ts or the most aggressive tire you can live with. My Destination A/Ts are barely more effective than the street tires that came on my KJ when offroad. The Goodyear MT/Rs are a night and day difference than the mild Destination A/Ts.

I can speak from experience, I've seen people wheel with all kinds of A/T tires that range from my Destination A/Ts, Silent Armors, Geolanders, etc. and none of them do great in the mud. They all slide around just as bad as stock. All-terrain really means all-terrain except mud.

Just about an tire works well on sand and rocks, but mud is a different story. That is why I had mud so much. Even with M/Ts you still slide around and it just makes a mess.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had plenty of tires over the years and there are a few tires in the A/T categorty that will handle mud quite well, but aren't available in the size I need...BFG A/T, and the Nitto Terra Grappler, which is one of the most aggressive A/T's I've seen.

The most aggressive choices I have found so far in the 17" are the two I mentioned in the previous post, and they're not in the stock size either. I'm really surprised there isn't more available in the stock size with the rising number of Liberties on the road with the 17"...but then again, most of them don't 4-wheel at all either. ](*,)

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Get those =D> They work great.

They are good for on road and off and so far I've got like 20k miles on them and they aren't even wearing that much.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennett said:
You must be registered for see images

Get those =D> They work great.

They are good for on road and off and so far I've got like 20k miles on them and they aren't even wearing that much.

Can't get them, not available in a stock or even close to stock size. Remember I have 17" wheels. I plan on lifting it eventually, but probably not before I need tires, not sure. Smallest size you can get in them is 265/70/17, that's almost a 32" tire.

If I come across a set of Renegade wheels cheap enough I'm just switching to 16". I like the color combo I have right now and hate to give that up, so I'd be looking for Renegade Wheels.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thecause17 said:
I've had plenty of tires over the years and there are a few tires in the A/T categorty that will handle mud quite well, but aren't available in the size I need...BFG A/T, and the Nitto Terra Grappler, which is one of the most aggressive A/T's I've seen.

The most aggressive choices I have found so far in the 17" are the two I mentioned in the previous post, and they're not in the stock size either. I'm really surprised there isn't more available in the stock size with the rising number of Liberties on the road with the 17"...but then again, most of them don't 4-wheel at all either. ](*,)

Thats true I'm sure some of the more aggressive A/Ts will do acceptable in light mud. Infact, my destination A/Ts did fine in light mud and most other terrain. It's just once the mud get thick they where useless.

Also check out the Cooper S/Ts. They come in a 245/70R17 size which is almost identical to 245/75R16 that most of us lift KJers run. They seem to be a nice aggressive A/T

BTW, In case anyone is interested here is what happens to a MT/R in some really sticky mud. They turn into racing slicks. I know they are not really a mud tire, but way alot more void than most A/T.
You must be registered for see images attach

Guess I need a set of these.
You must be registered for see images attach

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo is right.

A/t's just fill up with mud and do nothing. They are ok in mild mud, but anything like in Eddo's pic, they do nothing.

Did you all make it to the cave that run Eddo? How did you get on that tree?

Mud= ](*,)

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Eddo is right.

A/t's just fill up with mud and do nothing. They are ok in mild mud, but anything like in Eddo's pic, they do nothing.

Did you all make it to the cave that run Eddo? How did you get on that tree?

Mud= ](*,)

Nope it was too muddy to make it up. Supprizing because last time it was raining, and this time it wasn't but there was more mud. I think anything but a bogger or tractor tire would have had the same fate in the mud I was in. Mud just *****.

I was trying to back down and around the tree under the spotting of jasonk, but I had no traction and kept sliding into it.