Who let's their vehicle warm up first thing in the a.m?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was jus curious, if the Jeeps been parked all night, and I'm gettin ready to leave first thing in the a.m., I always let it idle for a min or two before I get goin....kinda like to warm up I suppose. I don't like just crankin it up and takin off, unless I've already driven it that day. I'm sure this isn't nessecary, but I feel better. And yes, I am in a typically warm area. Am I wierd? lol

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I leave for work by 5:30AM so its pretty much freezing. If I leave the Jeep out of the garage I normally let it warm up for 10 minutes or longer (enough to make the inside feel nice).

As for the summer I typically let it start up for a few minutes to get everything turning.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just running the motor just warms up the motor and gets you some heat but the rest of your drive train is still stone cold. So the best way to warm it up is to just drive it. Once your oil pressure is up (seconds) it won't hurt to drive it. The whole drive train (and cabin) warms up faster. I take it easy for the first mile or so.

That being said, it's been in single didgets here in the morning so I do let it run but only for a couple of minutes to start to get some heat for my own personal comfort more than for the jeep, flip the heated seat on, lock out O/D and start driving. When I get to the end of the street I'm in a 45 speed zone and then 55. By then I hit the O/D button again so it will shift into O/D. The ****** is warm enough for it to shift into O/D then.

In the summer I just start it and go. It might run 30 seconds max.

Dave

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With it being cold recently (by AZ standards), I've been giving mine about five minutes to warm up. I like to wait until it's a leaat a quarter of the way up the gauge, but preferably half way. Theres only been two times I didnt let it warm up and I felt sorry for it lol.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Never. I might let the cold combustion knocking subside, then I just drive it. A warming period for a diesel is 100% pointless because it WILL NEVER WARM UP. You can let this thing run for 10 minutes, and it will STILL be blowing cold air. Temp gauge won't move at all.

With that said, my '04... well I almost never let that warm up either, but occasionally I did, when I didn't feel like hopping in an ice cold Jeep. Most of the time I didn't mind.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta love that remote start,when my alarm goes of in the morning I reach over and start my KJ then hit snooze.It's all warmed uped and I don't have to scrape that ice off in the morning.In the summer I just get in and go.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mostly because I won't start mine and walk back inside where I live, or where I work. I start mine up when I'm ready to go somewhere, put the ****** in neutral and sit there for about thirty seconds or so, then off I go.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is below zero F then maybe 15-30 seconds, but that is it. It probably doesnt even need it. In the summer just start and go. As long as the oil pressure comes up and is flowing, then it doesnt matter. That only takes about 1-3 seconds in most cases.

There was actually an article about this in the last issue of Popular Mechanics. They asked one of the Ford Motor's Chief Engine Engineers and his response was that it's actually worst to let it idle up to temperature. Your engine occurs the most wear and runs the least efficient when cold. A engine reaches its ideal operating temperature significantly faster when driven, so getting it up to operating temperature quickly is the best thing you can do. Plus modern motor oils flow significantly better at low temperatures, that any truth to old adage is now meaningless. Just wait a few seconds for the oil pressure to come up and drive away was the suggestion.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Generally mine stays in the garage, but I still give it 2-3 minutes before I put it in gear....so that everything has a chance to start flowing.

If it's parked outside over night, i'll give it probably 5 or so minutes.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never.
I start, wait 5 seconds, and start driving. I never let rpm go over 2k and drive off until it gets about %30 hot.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, just enough to get the juices flowing...anything beyond that is a waste of fuel. Of course there are times when you want a warm vehicle or defrosted windows but it isnt necessary to let a vehicle warm up...just take it easy for a little ways and you are good to go.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never, unless is covered in show when I'll turn it on and then clean it off before going anywhere.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anytime it's over 60 degrees out i put it into drive and instantly go. I wait until coolant temp is a good 120+ before giving it any more than 2500 RPMs. Not that coolant temp has anythign to do with oil temp - but by the time the coolant is that warm the oil temp should be warmed up plenty...it's more a timing thing than anythign else.

In "cold" conditions (30-40 degrees by arizona standards) i let it run abotu 2-3 minutes before going. The only reason i really do this is to get the heat warm so i am comfortable. If i wasn't concerned with warm air for my own personal comfort i'd just go - syntehtic oil needs to be much colder than 30-40 to warrant any concern.

Durign summer (90 degrees by the time i leave work in the AM, and 100+ the rest of the day) i just immediately go.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rarely, usually turn on the engine then crank out the wing mirrors, get my cd sorted, demist the windows, and then leave.

rxraptor02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't trust my area to start it and to return back inside to let it warm up.

I just hop in and start it up wait a few minuts to get my morning raido show tuned in and some skoal and im off. I do keep the rpm's low until it gets warm but by the time I get to the main routes the motor is nice and warm.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine block heater makes diff for you guys?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually let mine run for around 30sec-1min with the ****** in N. That lets the fluid in the ****** flow around and fill up the torque before I put it into gear. I try to keep it under 2k rpms if I can until the engine is at least half way warm. O:)

Many people have their opinions about what is best. Im sure if you dont just get in and floor it, your engine will be just fine.

All of my friends in High school didnt have a bit of pity for their engines. They would seriously floor then as soon as they were started while still in P bouncing off the rev limiter. I had some crazy friends. You would always see a hint of blue smoke behind their car/truck as they pulled out. 8-[

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I usually let mine run for around 30sec-1min with the ****** in N. That lets the fluid in the ****** flow around and fill up the torque before I put it into gear. I try to keep it under 2k rpms if I can until the engine is at least half way warm. O:)

Many people have their opinions about what is best. Im sure if you dont just get in and floor it, your engine will be just fine.

All of my friends in High school didnt have a bit of pity for their engines. They would seriously floor then as soon as they were started while still in P bouncing off the rev limiter. I had some crazy friends. You would always see a hint of blue smoke behind their car/truck as they pulled out. 8-[
Most people in HS don't care about their cars. I didn't even have one in HS... I occasionally drove my sister's old car.

My brother is 19 and is already on his 2nd car... going on 3rd I think, as he didn't even bring this one to school.

Members online

No members online now.