White smoke and burn smell from rear wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled into my driveway and when I got out I noticed white smoke and a burning smell coming from the passenger side rear wheel, anyone have this happen before? I had it towed to the dealership and they are going to look at it tomorrow. I am thinking that the brake was stuck on some how. I never use the e-brake so it can't be that. I tried a search but didn't really find anything.

oh and I have 27,000 miles on it.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I smell burnt rubber all the time, but no smoke so far, other than when driving through water...

2003KJ

Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
I think there is a TSB on something dealing with the rear brakes,just can't remember right off hand.Most likely a stuck piston in one of the caliphers.

Yup.....might want to have the brake pad and rotor inspected real close while its there. And you say 27K, so i'm assuming still under warranty. There's a good chance that the pad and rotor were damaged from excessive heat...

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
I think there is a TSB on something dealing with the rear brakes,just can't remember right off hand.Most likely a stuck piston in one of the caliphers.

I heard of a problem a while back with the rear rotors glazing over and causing noise issues. They were being replaced under warranty for a certain milage, like 12k miles, which I think is all that brakes are covered for, being a wear item and all. I never had such an issue with mine, and my rear rotors looks to be original at 42k...at least the rear pads were also until I changed them last week.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
happened to me..

I left the dealership for an oil change.. and the rear tire locked up.. on the highway.. brought it back.. dealer said nothing wrong here.. took to another 5 star (joke) dealership.. they replaced the rear calipers/rotors/pads.. so it will most likely happen often.. my kj is being traded within 2-3 weeks.. ordered a jk with antilocks etc. can't imagine why something as simple as brakes will fail.. what is this a cordoba?

oh and do you sense I'm angry... why yes.. when a dealership claims it didn't happen.. and another dealer says I see they turned blue they got so hot.. and if you google this issue.. tons of complaints.. and all the dealers say.. wow.. never seen this before.. GET ON THE INTERNET PEOPLE!

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my rear caliper went, my dealer said the calipers were on national back order, which means there's a real problem with them. They finally located some at another dealership fo me.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They said it was the caliper stuck. I didn't find out if they are replacing the rotor yet or not.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
interesting over 74000, original brakes all the way around and no problems I would never go as far as trading it off for a JK just for that

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: happened to me..

libertydude said:
I left the dealership for an oil change.. and the rear tire locked up.. on the highway.. brought it back.. dealer said nothing wrong here.. took to another 5 star (joke) dealership.. they replaced the rear calipers/rotors/pads.. so it will most likely happen often.. my kj is being traded within 2-3 weeks.. ordered a jk with antilocks etc. can't imagine why something as simple as brakes will fail.. what is this a cordoba?
oh and do you sense I'm angry... why yes.. when a dealership claims it didn't happen.. and another dealer says I see they turned blue they got so hot.. and if you google this issue.. tons of complaints.. and all the dealers say.. wow.. never seen this before.. GET ON THE INTERNET PEOPLE!

(Ricardo Montalban) But the Cordoba had rich Corinthian Leather and a smooth Ride!!(Ricardo Montalban) (naughty)

vXxo0oxXv

Reaction score
I had a burning smell coming from one of the wheel wells once after doing some wheelin. Turns out the brakes were cooking mud that was caked inside of the wheels. Mmmmmmm

:-#

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a goalkeeper called cordoba, from argentina, but that's not the point now.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
There is a goalkeeper called cordoba, from argentina, but that's not the point now.

Yes it is.......he was probably named after that car......oh, and I remember the cordoba, and the rich corinthian leather, and the Ricardo Montalbon commercial........I guess I'm too old.

By the way, you guys really know how to twist a thread around.......and of course I 'm just throwing more wood on the fire.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.