Which replacement shocks for non-lifted 2002 KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy boys and girls!

With almost 108,000 miles on the clock, my original shocks are no longer providing any damping, so it is time to replace them. What should I get? I don't tend to do anything offroad more challenging than fire roads.

Thanks in advance!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The 2002 stock springs (coils) and shocks are totally bagged out by those years & miles.
My 04-OEM's are bagged at 37,000 miles. Can not get 3 fingers between the tire and front fender well.
Most simply now do a lift with new OME springs and Bilstien shocks. This is where the ride is sweet again,better than new, and handles awesome.
The front shock (strut) is the same even when lifting so part # for Bilstien is F4-BE5-D916-HO
Rear Bilstien longer shock REAR is F4-BE6-A702-HO
So if you want to lift there is a ton of info in the lift discussion section.
If you want to keep the stock ride height (which makes really no sense)
You will have to replace the front springs dealer OEM (which will sag again soon)
and go with the front shock as mentioned above for better performance.
Take a photo of your front springs..post back a pic..they are probably worse than mine, that are close to coil binding.
38530[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I have most of the lift parts now... http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47052
Bilstein does have the stock shocks for the rear as well, don't have part # though.

Attachments

• JeepSag.jpg
    JeepSag.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Monroe makes a quickstrut system comes with front springs and shocks.. then get whatever stock shock there is.

thats teh EASY way to do it.

your stock springs are worn out like liberty sais..

if you really dont want to touch the springs just get monroe shocks front and rear.. no sense in putting a better shock on the stock springs because the ride still wont be that great. if you want to get a better spring but dont want alot of lift. go with the medium duty of the OME springs.. thatll get you a better quality spring but the height wont be as much there ( as i understand it).

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeez..you had me running with camera to inspect.....
Optical illusion..wide angle lens problem.
Here it is at 50mm...not bent.
38569[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• EndLink.jpg
    EndLink.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Monroe makes a quickstrut system comes with front springs and shocks.. then get whatever stock shock there is.

thats teh EASY way to do it.

your stock springs are worn out like liberty sais..

if you really dont want to touch the springs just get monroe shocks front and rear.. no sense in putting a better shock on the stock springs because the ride still wont be that great. if you want to get a better spring but dont want alot of lift. go with the medium duty of the OME springs.. thatll get you a better quality spring but the height wont be as much there ( as i understand it).

Medium Duty is the same height as HD, just 25LB less spring rate, which is fine for me. No plans of a winch or bumper at all. Light Duty is what you're thinking of.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you want is:

OME 925 front coils and OME 946 rear coils

That will give you an awesome ride and put it back to stock height or just a little over. I'm not sure how much tho.

for shocks I would get Bilstein.

rear - http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-BILSTEIN___Heavy_Duty_Rear-671.aspx
front - http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-BILSTEIN___Heavy_Duty_Front-672.aspx

If you're going to install OME's anyway, I'd recommend going 926/947 as it'll give a little lift, be a little firmer (not harsher, firmer), and will still allow for proper alignment as long as extra bits aren't installed (top plate spacer, clevis spacer, etc).

If you're not opposed to getting lift, I'd go 927/948. I didn't, and am still happy with the ride, but I'd just go HD if I did it all over.

Firmer does not equal Harsher. I couldn't get that through my head.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
38577[/ATTACH]"]

Hey Tim, your sway bar end link might not be bent but your CV shaft is pointing up (the wrong way). I'm absolutely certain that that is not an illusion. Get your lift in already. Don't make me drive out there to do it for you!! I would you know. Yeah, I would.:smokin:

Attachments

• EndLink.jpg
    EndLink.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya right Ian..I am only like what 3000km away from you? I wish you could do the install!
I found a shop going to check them out: http://www.jeapthrillscustoms.com/
I should find another forum where it is more local, I am sure someone has access to a lift that could help get this done.
EDIT: Visited "Jeepthrills" in Maple Ridge B.C. It was not a pleasant experience.
A single lift shop that was messy, guys in back swearing at each other, it reminded me of a redneck hole in the wall.
Their business licence was displayed, and when I asked if a licensed mechanic would be working on my jeep, the answer was NO!
Ya like I am going to pay these guys $90 an hour to touch my new JEEP...NOT...I simply left...NEXT.....off to see North Shore off road.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online