Which is the correct clip for my Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted a while back in a thread that my 2004 liberty's fender flares looked like they weren't tight against the fender. People suggested new clips or plastic rivets to repair. Last night I disassembled the front fascia while repairing some damaged wiring to my fogs and markers. When I did so these are the clips that I found holding my fender flare to both sides of my fascia. It appears they are used all the way around the wheel well best I can tell. Research has me thinking they aren't the correct clips being used which might explain the poor fitment. Best I can figure they are commander clips or rocker panel clips from google searching. My jeep was in a front end collision in 2008 so I think maybe the used the wrong parts when repairing. Here is the pic of what I found on my jeep and the second pic is what I keep seeing on ebay/online when searching for a replacement on the couple broken ones I have as well. Let me know which I need. The ones I have look very similar to the pic on the left and while they work for attaching the flare to the fender they just aren't snug or pushed in all the way and look to be partially pulled out even when looking at my jeep before I disassembled the front end. ( I could see the grasping mechanism through the gap). that being said im not sure the ones on the right would physically work either even though its what I keep finding online, I just felt like my mounting holes seemed like they were to wide to grasp those clips. did they change the mounts on the fenders through they years? Maybe my fenders are from a newer/older Liberty that were used in the repair?

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 141.jpg
    141.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually remember seeing both of these on my flares. I think it depended on which mounting hole it was attached to.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually remember seeing both of these on my flares. I think it depended on which mounting hole it was attached to.

I actually am thinking the same may be true pending location. Perhaps the first ones are lower on the fascia and rocker panel and the right ones are for the wheel well arch. Ive not confirmed that yet but think it may be true since the ones on the left are marketed as "rocker panel" clips. Maybe ill just buy both, they aren't that expensive. Cant hurt to have a few on hand for accidents or friends anyway.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to find a diagram for you but couldn't quite get a good one. I'm sure a diagram will show which parts go where. Worst case scenario...the dealer might be able to print one out for you.

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ones on the left hold the flare to the front fascia, the ones on the right hold the flares to the body.

There are two versions of the right clips. The old version is bare plastic, the new version has a soft rubber ring glued to it between the tang and the base. You want the new ones or add a piece of foam body tape to the old style.

They loosen up because the plastic tabs wear from the motion between the flare and the body. The foam tries to push the two apart and stops that motion.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys....I bought 15 of the ones on the right from amazon of 6 bucks and a 4 pack of the ones on the left for 5 bucks at napa. Ill also have extra of the ones on the left because the guy who repaired mine before used them on the entire passenger flair which explains why its not fitting correctly.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found part of the problem tonight and took a pic. Turns out my clips weren't the wrong type per say they just appear to be aftermarket and not a good fit compared to OEM. New ones look like the ones on the other side so this should resolve my issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 12