Where do you put stuff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjk

Reaction score
I like to keep a tow strap, jumper cables, a few tools, etc. in the back of my vehicles. I've always kept them in a long narrow plastic toolbox in the back, but it always gets in the way. Anyone else keep this stuff in at all times? If so where do you put it?

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just carry that stuff when I take a road trip to go wheeling, and then I just toss it in the back \:D/

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I should carry all of that stuff with me... but I don't. :( I do carry a tire pressure gauge in that little pocket in back tho. :)

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep my tow strap, a 60 piece craftsman tool kit, ball mount under the rear seats, and a jump box in the cargo area.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Right now I have a really big tow chain under my rear seats in that little cavity and on the other side I have some craftsmen tools.

Bennett

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a Jeep duffel off of eBay and loading it with the essentials to toss in the back when needed. Like camping, off-roading, and trips to the salvage yards looking for parts to all my cars.

For 95% of the time I'm somewhere that AAA will pick up the car and bring it right to my door so I can work on it at home \:D/ SoCal roads are not where you want to try and work on a car. They will kill you in an instant if either you lose focus or they do (the later happening about every third car!).

I did that three times with my XJ and twice with my Buick Electra Convertible. "Just put it in the driveway boys, I'll take it from there!"

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
change in ashtray, jumper cables underneath driverside rear seat, first aid kit underneath passenger side rear seat, flashlight/fire extinguisher underneath drivers seat, maps etc, on frnt passenger seat pocket, cd's and misc items drivers side seat pockets, basic tools in cargo area, as well as umbrella's. bungy cables, and other small misc items tucked away in that small pocket in the cargo area. everything else, i just have in a handy small bag to take when going on extended trips....or whenever needed, tire guage, and other misc stuff in the center console thing...

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30'x3" tow strap coiled under rear passengers seat.
Digital tire gauge and flashlight combo (size of a AA Maglite) in center console.
Wheel locking lug in cargo area pocket (net).
Breaker bar w/19mm socket on it hidden in cargo area under edge of carpeting at the seatbacks (the 1/2" end of the breaker bar swivels so I can keep the socket on it and in a straight line, it's 30" long!).
Throw blanket on rear seat, or in cargo area (wherever it ends up).

Most importantly (since it comes with the new vehicle)
Roadside assistance number in wallet!

Someday I'll get the receiver hitch ball and it'll go in the rear cargo pocket.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
change in ashtray, jumper cables underneath driverside rear seat, first aid kit underneath passenger side rear seat, flashlight/fire extinguisher underneath drivers seat, maps etc, on frnt passenger seat pocket, cd's and misc items drivers side seat pockets, basic tools in cargo area, as well as umbrella's. bungy cables, and other small misc items tucked away in that small pocket in the cargo area. everything else, i just have in a handy small bag to take when going on extended trips....or whenever needed, tire guage, and other misc stuff in the center console thing...

you really carry a bunch of stuff in your Libby \:D/

threadjacked.gif

Love the new avatar =D>

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yoda13 said:

threadjacked.gif

Love the new avatar =D>

heh, i didnt list the other stuff i just have in there for no apparent reason whatsoever. u cant be too careful tho, I havnt used the jumper cables for myself, but i have jumped a few cars here and there. only thing is when i want to fold down the rear seats, i have to move around a lot of stuff....slight pain, but it happens few and far in between...

re: avatar...tnx

Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unlike the rear lockbox and multitude of mounting options in my new Rubicon, one has to get creative when storing in the Kj.

Bought two Hi-Lift "Handyman 100th anniversary" jacks. Fabricated a mount in rear area for KJ. Jack remains in softsided case. Rusty's strap / tree saver under rear seat, along with a folding 4-way lug wrench. 3 cell D Maglite mounted in a sweet billet holder on the Drivers seat frame (Limited). I have a large truck (aka; Peterbuilt) tire pressure gauge in the KJ. (If you haven't seen one of these, it's about 10" long and twice the diameter of a car tire guage. Why? 'Cuse it's cool!... It just fits in the Limited drivers door molded pocket! Bought two chrome extingushers but still haven't found a "home" yet in the KJ? CD's only in the center console. Outdoor Research First Aid Kit under the rear seat. Don't have a need for loose change since upgrading to "IPass" for the Illinois tollway system. So my ashtray remains empty (note: virgin too)! I keep a chamios in the rear door cargo net. That's about it that I can think of at this time.

- Hammer.

jimymc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see a picture of the mount you have for the Hi-Lift jack. What size jack is it? I think I would like to carry one for winching, lifting while out on the trail, but just don't know where to mount it and the Darling Wife won't tolerate it out in plain sight.

Unlike the rear lockbox and multitude of mounting options in my new Rubicon, one has to get creative when storing in the Kj.

Bought two Hi-Lift "Handyman 100th anniversary" jacks. Fabricated a mount in rear area for KJ. Jack remains in softsided case. Rusty's strap / tree saver under rear seat, along with a folding 4-way lug wrench. 3 cell D Maglite mounted in a sweet billet holder on the Drivers seat frame (Limited). I have a large truck (aka; Peterbuilt) tire pressure gauge in the KJ. (If you haven't seen one of these, it's about 10" long and twice the diameter of a car tire guage. Why? 'Cuse it's cool!... It just fits in the Limited drivers door molded pocket! Bought two chrome extingushers but still haven't found a "home" yet in the KJ? CD's only in the center console. Outdoor Research First Aid Kit under the rear seat. Don't have a need for loose change since upgrading to "IPass" for the Illinois tollway system. So my ashtray remains empty (note: virgin too)! I keep a chamios in the rear door cargo net. That's about it that I can think of at this time.

- Hammer.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd like to see a picture of the mount you have for the Hi-Lift jack. What size jack is it? I think I would like to carry one for winching, lifting while out on the trail, but just don't know where to mount it and the Darling Wife won't tolerate it out in plain sight.

Just so you know, that post by Hammer is 5 years old........don't expect his pics anytime soon.:p

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

threadjacked.gif

Love the new avatar =D>

I don't see any spare parts really, I carry spare idler pulleys, tie rod ends, ujoints, enough tools to pull the engine if need be, CO2 , jumper cables, tow straps , blankets, lawn chairs, folding table, If I go 4 wheeling even more

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I carry everything I might ever need all the time!
I have a larger black plastic tool box I bought at walmart for like 20 bucks that takes up 3/4 of my cargo are and in it I keep:
2 large chains, 6 ratchet straps, 4 bungee cords, a cargo net for my roof rack, zip ties, a small craftsman socket set and star wrenches, a receiver with a d-shackle, a receiver with a 2" ball, heavy duty jumper cables, a mini air compressor, a 6 ton hydraulic jack, a tire iron, a 750w power inverter
then I also have a jeep duffle bag in the other 1/4 of my cargo area and it contains: a 2.5million candle power spot light, a small throw pillow, 2 fleece blankets and a roll of blue shop towels, a roll off parachute cord
then I have a craftsman tool bag in that 1/4 too it's for all my electrical tools:
folding standard and metric allen wrenches, folding star wrench set, a large and small phillips screw driver, a small and large standard screw driver, 2 rolls of electrical tape, a small tackle box of wire ends and connectors, a large and small pair of needle nose pliars, a small and large pair of channel locks, a pair of side cutters, a pair of diagonal cutters, a universal wire stripper 3 spare light switches, volt meter, and another small tackle box of fuses
and in the little cargo net on the right side I have a first aid kit.

Thats about it...Oh! and to top it all off (literally) I have a home made cargo shelf

I always try to be prepared.

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I have a big rubbermaid container with fluids in the cargo are (oil, gear oil, trans fluid, coolant, trans fluid), my toolbox with pretty much just the necessities (including tools to go from 4wd to 2wd, just in case), couple of blankets, high lift under the back seat, fire extinguisher, 2x30 recovery strap, net for roof basket, and my hiking boots...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, an ancient thread.

Anyway, I have a couple of tool bags full of recovery gear, jumper, 2 compressors (don't ask....I am nuts) hydraulic jack, 12 volt lug nut gun, straps, shackles, hip waders, tire plug kit, tools, winter cold weather stuff, axe, knife, shovel, saw, and so much other stuff in the back there is hardly room for anything elce. (I could go on and on..If you opened my tailgate it is pretty much stuffed. If I go shopping I leave the KJ and take the car.

Dave

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stuff goes in the bag in the back. Folding tree saw, shovel, Estwing Camper's Axe, 3x30 snatch strap, couple of shackles, a traffic safety vest, couple of tools, my "when I was in the army" first aid kit, chunk of chain and a few other seasonal essentials.