When is it time to give up and move on to another vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to think about this all the time. Until I had one thought and now every time this crosses my mind its what I think.

How long will the money you get from it realistically last, and what will that money get you?

But the main thing that always stops me in my tracks is, will you get something worth more to you than the KJ is with that money?

You also got to remember that unless you buy a new vehicle or a fairly low mileage used(less then 20,000 miles and 2 years old) expect to put $1500 right off the bat into your "new to you" vehicle,some may require much more.

20k or less miles,2 years old or newer = good buy,little to no expected "secret" expenses

30k-50k miles,3 to 5 years old = expect to buy tires,brakes and some basic fluid services(coolant,brake fluid)

60k-100k miles= yeah that list can be long,expect to replace all fluids and spark plugs,tires,brakes,and possibly suspension/steering components,if it has a timing belt 60k-100k is the intervals for replacement.Should change the waterpump also if it's timing belt driven and most vehicles that is a $800-$1000 job alone,some can reach $1500+.

100k-150k miles = Better have bought it for real cheap,plan on expenses exceeding the vehicle cost soon

150k+ miles = You're an idiot(in most cases,very few exceptions),expect major failure soon

Over the past 20+ years this is the trend I've seen from having to inspect and fix these "new to you" vehicles that people bought without having them inspected beforehand.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tagging into Troys post above ^^^
I'll add that when I bought the 03 couple of years back I knew its full history from day one from the original owners talking to them and all paperwork. Although it had 78,000 on it knew I wanted to do a full going over with new fluids/plugs etc so added that into price I was willing to pay. Also knew it needed new UCAs in front and suspension was bad ( sagged 1.5 inches ) of course already knew where I was going for that.
But over the last 27,000 plus miles only other things have been regular oil changes and new Radiator. Of course also did new thermostat, water pump , hoses, belt, idler pulley etc while in there. Some added not needed expense in a way, but to me worth it.
Would I buy something with 150,000-175,000 miles ? Depends on condition of the body, knowing the engine/trans etc may have to be replaced at any time, figure that into the price I would pay.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That right there is what is going to kill your KJ, ultimately. Imagine a scenario where Friend A borrows your Jeep. Drives said Jeep for a few days and returns it with a nasty engine rattle.. "oh yeah, says Friend A, it's been doing that all week." You check engine oil and find none. Turns out the rusty oil pan popped a hole and Friend A just kept on driving, never-mind the horrendous noises and oil warning light on the dash.

Or they get into a collision with it that you may not have; or they slam it into reverse while still going in the forwards direction; or smoke pot in it, burn cigarette holes into your upholstery; get a cd jammed in the radio with their custom stick on cd label that's too thick for slot loaders; etc..

I could go on. I don't loan out my vehicles. I'll give rides, pick up from work, drop off places... never loan out.

Only two times in my life have I been talked into " loaning " my vehicle.
Once a great friend had me install a lift on his F150, being in the middle of doing it he says I'll buy pizza if I can run your truck in town. 3 miles away, what can happen right? Wrong, backed into a parking meter ...
Other time another good " friend" wanted to buy a Harley I just finished restoring, paint finally rubbed out night before . Went less than a mile and laid over in the ditch and he had ridden for years. But lost control and a good bit of work was destroyed, plus he never paid for it.
SO no , you don't drive anything of mine, walk or sit and shut up!:happy175:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I buy new for myself its from cost going way more than payments on the new vehicle or that I need a different vehicle.

My new to me 2014 truck 51000 km just got new shocks and rear springs ($500) and tires when I bought ($1200), top off OAT coolant ($50). Its soon getting diff x 2 and some paint underneath. Next year its getting fronts.

Thats a vehicle that most would say is still newish.

If i thought the Jeep could be built into something to tow the travel trailer, i'd still have it. And even that was due for more upkeep. Before i pulled the plug the list was getting long. JBA rear UCA link. 4.56 diff DTT, PS pump, front shocks (undecided), endless.

Still would have done it all when the wife's payments were done but decided to go a different route given what were towing.

Fix the oil leak and get an alignment after you put on a lift on it while you got the K frame out.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also got to remember that unless you buy a new vehicle or a fairly low mileage used(less then 20,000 miles and 2 years old) expect to put $1500 right off the bat into your "new to you" vehicle,some may require much more.

20k or less miles,2 years old or newer = good buy,little to no expected "secret" expenses

30k-50k miles,3 to 5 years old = expect to buy tires,brakes and some basic fluid services(coolant,brake fluid)

No arguments here lol... most recent purchase was my MKZ.. bought it with 41k and was putting brakes on it 2 months later lol..
Bought my mustang with 140k..broke down repeatedly within months.
Bought my explorer with 120k...well...for anyone who's had an explorer, I've already said enough lol. But for those who haven't. Well...let's just say I exceeded the cost of the vehicle in repairs within 3 months.
Bought my Taurus with 100k....thing was golden for a year and a half.
Bought my Intrigue with 155k from my uncle. Best car I owned....for 6 months..then VERY quickly became the worst.
Got my Volare when I turned 16..threw a connecting rod before I was 17.
Bought my duramax when I was younger with 150k thinking oh they last forever.. (to be young and dumb again)...well they don't last forever lol. Blew the ****** within a year.

Bought my jeep with 50k....well we all know how that story goes :Violin:

Last edited:

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I occaisionally thought about trading in, but i know i wont because as soon as i see a new problem; i fix it happily!

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I took an 80 Olds Omega 2 door, 4 cylinder 4 speed in on trade one time, allowed the guy 100 bucks. It had over 230,000 miles on it so figured on just junking it out .
Got to driving it around and it ran great! Started running it back and forth to work, running errands kept it around for 3 years , put about 30,000 miles on it . Changed the oil one time, but nothing else ( ya know cause it was a 100 dollar beater car )
Ended up selling it to a guy ( for 350 ) who drove it 75 miles round trip 5 days a week and he ran it for over 4 years with doing minimal up keep. It finally died while teaching his daughter to drive a manual trans, burnt the clutch up, but motor was still running great.
Like to have about ten of those in reserve if they were all like it was.

Latest posts

Members online