wheel nuts too small for 2005 jeep liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought some wheel nuts the other day from to replace the horrible capped ones on my 05 jeep liberty, and after putting them on i notice that they look too small like they are not really holding the tire to the jeep, is this normal?... the ones i purchased are 1/2-20 and it says they are an exact match but it looks odd like the wheel nut is barely touching anything.

the ones i bought here: Dorman/Wheel Nut 711-201 - Read Reviews on Dorman #711-201

my wheel looks like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty#/media/File:2005-2007_Jeep_Liberty_--_08-16-2010.jpg

the stock ones are bulged but the ones they say are an exact match are just regular acorn shaped.

are the ones i bought safe? even though they dont look like it! thanks in advance!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
1/2 X 20 is correct ...60 degree cone??
Do they look like this?
54523[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• McGardLugs.jpg
    McGardLugs.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 0

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are 1/2x20 with the 60 degree cone but they are not bulged at all like the stock nuts...it almost looks like i should have a washer in there so it actually holds the tire to the vehicle... they dont look like the ones you posted, if you click my link up top you can see the exact ones i got

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot to say Welcome to the forums BTW..!!
I would use the stock lugs for now as the Dorman's don't look like the proper 60 degree McGuards.
You could take your Dorman into a local parts store and compare/find the right ones ASAP.
One thing is for sure if you grab a set of 64010 McGuards you now have quality rust free lugs, that stay correctly tight! :gr_grin:

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks glad to be here....im gonna head up and get me some of those mcguards immediately!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine have been on for years, no rust & a great lifetime warranty too.
I wanted to add about the Torque specs of 85 to 115 foot pounds.
54525[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

My torque wrench stays in the Jeep and I check lugs frequently!
If you do not have a proper torque wrench, I can help you spend some more $ while you are at the parts store tomorrow! :icon_lol:

Attachments

• TorqueJeepLiberty_zpse447b967.jpg
    TorqueJeepLiberty_zpse447b967.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 0

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If they are the 1/2 X20 dormans they should be just fine, just go double check them or compare them to the stock ones
No need to run out and buy another set of McGuards, while good no need for them
My 04 still has all of the stock ones on and none of the caps are even a bit loose. Just take care of the ones you have

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost agree with Tom. :). What you have are excellent the actual 60deg seat is correct, the bulge between taper and hex means nothing.

IMO, the stainless cover OE style are the ultimate suck, especially after a few encounters with tire shop worn out sockets.

At my shop I've discovered bulk packaged nuts in various sizes. Buy em for $35.00 per hundred, sell em for a buck each. Surprisingly good quality and chrome plating.

Jeep/MOPAR wheel studs are notoriously soft, I'd suggest going lower in the recommended torque range to 90psi.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer to use bulge nuts whenever possible.

Its a wider clamping surface which tends to match aluminum wheels better. I've also had non-bulge nuts bottom out on the rotor before they clamped a steel wheel properly.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they are just bottoming out. They are just too short. Overall length is 1.384" for the Dormans, 1.45" for the McGards. That would be my guess. The McGards are real purty.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Still like to see comparison pictures of each
Can't see where the dormans would not work

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after further inspection, the dormans will work but after having bulged nuts on there for so long, it just looks strange to put some tapered nuts on there...but i will be picking up some bulged ones anyways just because there is more surface area there to clamp on to like u2slow said