What's the least expensive brushguard/bull bar, etc?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need something to mount some lights and maybe recovery shackles to. I'd be OK buying cheap first time around (depending on how cheap and price difference to the next best "good" product).

Maybe something that's just a basic light bar for in front of the grille...

Like any of these, whose images are the property of their respective owners, the images of which I acquired via Google.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Anyone know of anything around $200 or less? Or perhaps have something they can recommend to build easily? I'd like to not drill into the bumper, so mounting it through existing holes/access ports, gaps, etc is preferred, but if I have to... I have to.

I understand and fully realize that none of these types of options provide any protection for the vehicle, and in fact may cause more damage in the case of an impact... I'm looking for something to mount lights on first and foremost, and if it mounts securely enough (like the bull bars mounting to the frame) I'd like to put the recovery shackles on.

I searched the forum, and most of what I saw were either recommendations to buy an ARB bumper (working on it...) or where owners fabbed up something of their own.

We need an all-inclusive sticky on this, I think.

Last edited:

chadstoks

Reaction score
I just installed a bull bar that I ordered from Auto Parts Warehouse. Used a 10% off coupon code and they also had free shipping. At my door in less than two weeks for $160 bucks. Brand is Go Rhino. It has mounts for two lights in front of the grill.

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 114

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Problem with any of those so called bull bars is you lose the ability to have tow hooks
and NO none provide anywhere to have any tow point attachments
But then thats what cheap gets you, the looks only
The first one is a buddy of mines bolted down through the front frame horns , made at a muffler shop
( boy thats an old picture! )
Can mount lights, has places to tow from, good solid mounting system, can use hi-lift on it etc
Matrix Brush Guard from jeepinbyal, more money, yes, but not throwing away 300 bucks, investing in something more solid
currently on my 03

Was on my 04 for a while as well

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a bull bar that I ordered from Auto Parts Warehouse. Used a 10% off coupon code and they also had free shipping. At my door in less than two weeks for $160 bucks. Brand is Go Rhino. It has mounts for two lights in front of the grill.

Is that the "Charger RC2 series"? How secure does it mount? If it's solid and to the frame, .... could theoretically weld on some recovery points to it..just something to pull from on the front.

I don't have front tow hooks/shackles now, so anything is an improvement.

Weird.. Tom I had a reply to you typed first... not sure where it went. Must've hit select-all and Delete.

Anyhow, the Matrix is just about perfect for those not wanting a full replacement bumper... but I'm thinking that if I budget and allocate $850 towards that, I might as well just throw in the extra $125 and buy the ARB and be done with it in that case.

Not being able to recoup any or much of the purchase price would be a stinker if I went with one of the cheaper bull bar options. Although, at $160 shipped I could eat that if I used it for a few years first. Not sure what to do.

Anyone got any used parts, or templates for fabricating something?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Is that the "Charger RC2 series"? How secure does it mount? If it's solid and to the frame, .... could theoretically weld on some recovery points to it..just something to pull from on the front.

I don't have front tow hooks/shackles now, so anything is an improvement.

Weird.. Tom I had a reply to you typed first... not sure where it went. Must've hit select-all and Delete.

Anyhow, the Matrix is just about perfect for those not wanting a full replacement bumper... but I'm thinking that if I budget and allocate $850 towards that, I might as well just throw in the extra $125 and buy the ARB and be done with it in that case.

Not being able to recoup any or much of the purchase price would be a stinker if I went with one of the cheaper bull bar options. Although, at $160 shipped I could eat that if I used it for a few years first. Not sure what to do.

Anyone got any used parts, or templates for fabricating something?

Few have tried to fabricate something to be able to use one of those bars and attach tow points as well, but none ever succeeded in making anything strong enough.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Few have tried to fabricate something to be able to use one of those bars and attach tow points as well, but none ever succeeded in making anything strong enough.

Hmm.. would have been a moot issue if I had taken the cash amount of the insurance repair from last winter when I smashed into the guardrail on ice... hindsight.

My front bumper was already destroyed, repair costs were $2700 minus my deductible.. I could have bought an ARB bumper AND the OME lift kit with that cash, bought and had mounted a replacement tire for the one I put a hole in and replaced my own washer tank, turn signal, and fog light.

Damn... Too bad I didn't know I could have just taken the check.

Oh well.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
would have, should have, could have
:happy175:
I've upgraded something after every time some one hit me ! LOL
One down side to going to an ARB other aftermarket is then YOU have to lift
which may or may not be a bad thing depending on how you look at it , ya know?

chadstoks

Reaction score
Just like the others have said it bolts to where the tow hooks would be. I didn't have tow hooks on mine before, so I'm not out anything. If I were to need to hook to it, I'd still get underneath and hook to something a bit more solid probably, but in a pinch it would probably do ok if a person tied near to one of the mounting brackets.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just like the others have said it bolts to where the tow hooks would be. I didn't have tow hooks on mine before, so I'm not out anything. If I were to need to hook to it, I'd still get underneath and hook to something a bit more solid probably, but in a pinch it would probably do ok if a person tied near to one of the mounting brackets.

With very bad results, can't remember the one guys name now, but he did that ( hooked onto the mounting bracket, ) not only pulled the bolts through the frame but also it ended up breaking his grill and damaging his hood.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With very bad results, can't remember the one guys name now, but he did that ( hooked onto the mounting bracket, ) not only pulled the bolts through the frame but also it ended up breaking his grill and damaging his hood.

Well that would suck. The front bull/brush bar/guard must have flexed more than just solidly mounted front tow hooks would.

Seems to me you could go in there under the bumper and add more supports, drill and mount new brackets and braces. On the other hand, if you can cut and weld steel to do that, you could make your own light mounting bar or your own brush guard anyhow.

Where does the Matrix brush guard mount, Tom?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here shows the start of the install
There is a bracket that attaches to both of these side to side that you can also see in the picture ( this one is for the 02-04s

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah I see! Thanks Tom. Looks like it too attaches to the front tow hook spots, using grade 8 hardware and what appears to be beefy 1/4" or better bracketry, plus that extra bracket you mentioned.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah I see! Thanks Tom. Looks like it too attaches to the front tow hook spots, using grade 8 hardware and what appears to be beefy 1/4" or better bracketry, plus that extra bracket you mentioned.

Yes even aftermarket bumpers attach in the same area. Difference is they all have tow points built in, even the Matrix as you can see .

Johniebravo

Reaction score
Link? Standard install ?

Ghost09

Reaction score
Everyone claims you can't put anything but a 1200 bumper on these Kj"s. It's Impossible! lol It's only rated at 5k with a pully it's rated at 10K. Dragged a downed Oak tree 30-40 inches round 20 feet to get it out of the way. My install kit was a plate of 3/4 inch steel Plate mounted directly through the crash bar that connects the frame rails. Drilled through top and bottom and used two M10 Bolts. I had two pieces of L Steel I was gonna mount diagonally one on each side and I may still. But I've pulled out several trucks and I've inspected it the crash bar and there hasn't been an issue.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: