What type of Engine do I have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a a few upgrades for my engine i.e. spark plugs, and air intake. But when I search online specifically for Jeep Liberty 05 3.7 V6. I get a bunch of crap. However if I know exactly what engine I have and what other cars have that same engine in them then I'll have a broader base of prices and options. Can anyone help me with this?

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the 3.7L specs. Are those really plastic Valve Covers on the engine or is there metal underneath them? I've been wondering that for long time now but never got around to asking anyone.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The intake manifold is plastic, the valve covers are metal, pressed steel by the look of them.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check mine, but I think the valve covers on my 2007 are plastic as well as the intake. Hell, my 2007 is a "drive-by-wire" (no throttle cable), so my friggin' TB is plastic!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, strange, I know for sure my valve covers are metal, but the manifold is plastic-- which is a good thing. Colder air into the manifold is better.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hold on a sec......
You put sparking plugs into your engine?????

Now that's just crazy!

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe i had it back wards but i remember seeing something plastic on the engine.. Thanks guys

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the new CJ has plastic valve covers or something? Friend of mine was telling me about it. Valve covers can be plastic- they don't hold any high pressure. They're basically caps to keep the oil from flying out and dirt from getting into the engine.