What to do...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the parents just moved out to shelbyville Kentucky in the country a few months back and I have been wanting to upgrade the head lighting to maybe some silverstars or something to avoid hitting dogs, coyotes, and deer. And I just got a new seatbelt to replace my non retractable one for Christmas. 99% of my driving is on pavement of corse but I was wondering what I should do to my jeep. Sorry I haven't been around the forum much but I've been busy with moving. Should I get a lift kit? Some skids? Some led ext lighting to help with the country road? What are some suggestions that make you like your kj that much more? I haven't done anything to mine in over a year and it needs some love.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lift and a nice set of all terrains would be a good start. And im not sure of your laws on HID lighting but they will deff illuminate the road for you. As far as armor goes if your not a ********* off roader they arent a huge priority. They arent cheap and if your not going to use them there isnt really a point in spending the cash. But it is you jeep and its style should reflect your own, just have fun with it. Thats what its all about

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Silver Stars aren't that expensive (not a several hundred dollar purchase at least) so I guess I'd do that first if I felt I really needed more for safety.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go for the Phillips head lights. Believe I got the phillips 100% bulbs and love them. They're nothing special, just a nice bright bulb. Got them for $30 with shipping from sonic electronics.

As for seeing better, I love my hellas. Have them wired to come on with the bright lights. There really isn't any laws in ky.

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You're going to get all manner of response on this. Mine really depends on what terrain you plan to be operating on. If you're solely on pavement, I'd upgrade the lighting first. If you're off-road more often, I would consider skids first before lift (less expensive to replace suspension parts than vital underbelly organs if you get a little "off" on rough terrain). And if you're planning on getting tires soon, I'd do the lift first... then tires.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some Silverstar Ultras. I got mine for $30. Stay away from the Silverstar Zxe's. They cost more and are not as bright as the ultras. That was confirmed by the company itself, said they are more for the blue look than brightness.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go for the light. Then the lift, but not a ******** off road lift, only a little something to be more comfortable on the road since 99% of your driving is on pavement it would be near useless to spend for a off road lift no?

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go for the light. Then the lift, but not a ******** off road lift, only a little something to be more comfortable on the road since 99% of your driving is on pavement it would be near useless to spend for a off road lift no?

What do you mean by off road lift? You can get a spacer lift for cheap but its going wear the suspension way way faster. A basic OME or iron man lift is basically the same price as replacing all 4 springs and shocks.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mount a pair of Hella's on the bumper if you need more light. You could consider that first.

If you stay mostly on the road then you could do without the lift and tires and skids. But if you decide on that later, the lift tires and skids wouldn't hurt. Besides, your OEM springs/shocks might need replacing due to wear anyways.

Dave

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by off road lift? You can get a spacer lift for cheap but its going wear the suspension way way faster. A basic OME or iron man lift is basically the same price as replacing all 4 springs and shocks.

there is no point for him to get a ******** lift that will feel wierd on the road. Every kit will feel different so he may look into something that will make the city driving more comfortable.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions, probably gonna get on the headlights this week, probably some Hellas on the bumper reny style in the spring, and maybe the skids in the spring also. My tires still have a few years life on them so I'm not too worried about the a/t's and the lift yet.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
New springs/shocks will ride better than his current suspension - his choice on whether or not to go with longer, or stay stock height.

Being that I've only run the OME stuff (after ditching the OTT spacer lift), that is especially nice after the upgrade - on and off road.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My iron man kit has an awesome ride on or off road, way better then stock. Alot less body roll at high speeds too. Im sure frankenlift and OME have similar ride qualities, a ********* off road lift would be a rig like tjkj2002's libby. Solid front axle big bad ass nobby tires and a lift to make it all fit.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@yellowcoyote what kind of lift are you running? Yours looks really jacked for the standard 3.5 unless its just the angle of the shot

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
It's the OME HD coils with the discontinued Rancho shocks... and some extras. :)

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice! I REALLY want to go higher but its soo freakin expensive.... i would love the 6" adjust-a-strut but no way ill ever be able to afford it.

Latest posts

Members online