What tires are the best

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
im going to be off roading once a week now an my tires are terrible. what would be the best tire?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who makes the best french fries? ;)

No "best" tire. You're in Indiana - so, I'd assume not much rock crawling. Probably dirt/sand/mud mix. I'd go with an A/T like the Goodrich All-terrains, or the General Grabber AT2's. Those are a little more aggressive/noisy, but still a good tread life.

Could go with Mud terrains, but much more noise and worse wear.

Also, you could go with an A/T like a Toyo Open County, the Revos, etc. Those will be less noisy and get great reviews on/off the road.

I'd recommend going with a 245/70 - it'll fit with no issues. Might get a slight rub at full lock, but not bad at all. If you want none, 235/70 was an OEM size on the off-road package, so those will have 0 issues.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You cannot find "best" tire for all conditions, there is non.
If you want great off-road performance, you will have to sacrifice on-road performance. Otherwise will have to go for A/T that will do just OK under any condition. I like my tires, they are OK in wet conditions, not so great on ice, good on snow, great on dry, and great on mild off-road, dirt and rock. It is soft, and quiet. :) and looks damn good.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG AT KO are good. also there are a few here that run the yokohama geolander A/T-S tires such as myself and they do great in all conditions and the road noise is very little

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure you can run BFG's if you like very weak sidewalls.

A perfect offroad tire is the one that does best for your type of wheeling------

Rocks----MT/R's,Trxus MT's,Maxxis Big Horns,and any Super Swamper tire(besides ThornBirds)
Mud----Trxus MT's,Interco's Boggers,MT/R's,Maxxis Big Horn's
Gravel(senic trails)---What ever AT tire you want(they all suck equally)

Don't expect long tread life with a good MT tire,if the rubber is to hard it is useless offroad.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to be off roading once a week now an my tires are terrible. what would be the best tire?

That is a question that only you can answer
the tire that is best for me would probably SUCK for you
I think that Super Swamper LTB's are great but if I drove the TJ every day
I would not own them
My wife has Goodyear MTR's on her DD ,KJ, we have no real issues
yes they are a little loud but we know that when we go off road we dont have to worry about flats
they also get good traction on and off road and I would guess if I tried I could get 40K out of them
Now there are several guys in the local clubs that run Remington mud brutes
and that tire ,while cheep as heck, gets great traction and holds up good on MOST of the trails we run and most guys keep them for 30-40K

The better question would be
I have this stuff on my Jeep and plan to run MOSTLY on this type of trail
How I would ask about our KJ
I have an '03 KJ with OME springs and full skids I plan to run mostly wooded trails with short steep hills ,some mud and lots of ruts and roots what tire do you think would work best for me?

Some would say go AT
I would say this person has no clue about what tires work on the terrain I run as I told them I run on wooded trails with steep hills and some mud
so if it rains then those steep hills turn into steep muddy hills and I need a strap all day long with slicks ,I mean AT's

Hope this helps you think about what tires YOU need

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok a stupid ???

I live in a very wet area. When I go off road I typically encounter light mud. I am thinking of getting either Toyo Open Country AT or Firestone Destination AT tires. Anyone have a good reason I shouldn't get these tires, or anyone have a better tire in mind.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run General Grabber AT2s in 245/70 16. They have done a great job in snow, ice, gravel, sand, and mud. I do most of my driving with a city and highway mix as my KJ is my daily driver. My opinion: great tire, great price.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing "AT"
"I run *** AT and they do great in every thing"
Well I have been deep in the off road world for 12+ years and if you go off road then you know that AT's are only OK at best

Think I dont know?
Ask the guy who cam out a few weeks back with some brand new 33" tall BFG AT's on his lifted and rear locked FJ ,we are talking winch ,bumper, sliders the works
yet he got stuck in the mildest if situations and guys running 30" "elcheepo" mudders on bone stock TJ's and YJ's walked right through
Logs laugh at the side walls of most AT's so rocks will be even worse
and dont let it rain when you are out on the trail with an AT

But hey what would I know I am only out there pulling the guys with AT's out all the time
If you go with a cheep MT then you will not regret it when you go off road when it is wet and YOU DRIVE A JEEP GET OVER THE NOISE

ripper42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cooper stt there good in just about anything and if you going to be going off road one a week then mt tire is a better buy

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I live in a very wet area. When I go off road I typically encounter light mud. I am thinking of getting either Toyo Open Country AT or Firestone Destination AT tires. Anyone have a good reason I shouldn't get these tires, or anyone have a better tire in mind.

I know of no reason why you shouldn't go with the Toyo Open Country A/T. Why? Quiet on the road, great grip offroad even in light mud, good treadwear for an all-terrain (40k miles... I consider that good)

Plus they look great. :)

If you like to hug curbs though... I'd recommend Blackwall-out...

Last edited:

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing "AT"
"I run *** AT and they do great in every thing"
Well I have been deep in the off road world for 12+ years and if you go off road then you know that AT's are only OK at best

Think I dont know?
Ask the guy who cam out a few weeks back with some brand new 33" tall BFG AT's on his lifted and rear locked FJ ,we are talking winch ,bumper, sliders the works
yet he got stuck in the mildest if situations and guys running 30" "elcheepo" mudders on bone stock TJ's and YJ's walked right through
Logs laugh at the side walls of most AT's so rocks will be even worse
and dont let it rain when you are out on the trail with an AT

But hey what would I know I am only out there pulling the guys with AT's out all the time
If you go with a cheep MT then you will not regret it when you go off road when it is wet and YOU DRIVE A JEEP GET OVER THE NOISE
I live in a very rainy area and the Jeep is my daily driver, mud tires are fairly impractical in my situation. Impractical but not out of the question. I've noticed that they have a tendency to hydroplane easier than AT tires. If and/or when I move back to Colorado I will probably go with a Mud tire.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in a very rainy area and the Jeep is my daily driver, mud tires are fairly impractical in my situation. I've noticed that they have a tendency to hydroplane easier than HT or AT tires. If and/or when I move back to Colorado I will probably go with a Mud tire.
I've never hydroplained with MT/R's or the Trxus MT's I have used,both are a very aggressive MT tires also.My average spped on the interstate is----(speed limit then your residental speed limit added on that)----well it's fast enough that almost all other tires are hydroplaining.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think a mud tire would be less likely to hydro-plane since it has less surface area. Ive never ran a mud tire but Ive also heard they are not the best in the world in rain. But tjkj seems to have good luck with his.

I know a A/T will suck in any amount of mud unless its just light mud. I got in some stuff that was fairly deep today and started to sweat alittle. I hardly see mud so Ive got to make some sacrifices. Got a Jeep with a 3" lift and I can get 19-20mpg on a good day so Im happy.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think one of the reasons people mention AT, any brand, is that you can get away with all types of driving. not the best in any single situation, but pretty good in most.

the problem with a mudder is that if you aren't in mud a good bit, and using as a daily driver, you will run through them quickly, and they arent cheap to keep replacing.

an AT will do fine in mud from time to time, but if you are bogging, then no, it wont.

likewise, hydroplaning is going to happen to any tire once you hit a certain speed, snow is the same. they make snow tires/chains for a reason.

get your offroad tires siped and you will increase your braking performance.

for an all around tire, with mixed daily driving, some off road of different types, an AT tire is a good choice, IMO

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in a very rainy area and the Jeep is my daily driver, mud tires are fairly impractical in my situation. Impractical but not out of the question. I've noticed that they have a tendency to hydroplane easier than AT tires. If and/or when I move back to Colorado I will probably go with a Mud tire.

I live in south Louisiana so I dont see much rain :D
I have run loads of different MT and they all do fine in the rain we have also ran the Goodyear ATS on the KJ and they did great in the rain ,they dont make them any more now they make the silent armor which looks the same
depending what you want from your KJ and what kind of deal you get I would get tires based on that
or just get the BFG MT in a 225/75 it will fit stock and work 100X better in any condition than the tires you have now

Members online

No members online now.