What size tire will fit a 1.5" lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pbplayer2327

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking to get a 1.5" lift from ome this summer and I was wondering what size tires will I be able to use. The tires that I am using right now are 225/75R16. I am hoping to put BFGoodrich all-terrain TKO2's on my current rims.

Edit: I was looking at getting this lift kit http://www.quadratec.com/products/76090_50X_PG.htm

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking to get a 1.5" lift from ome this summer and I was wondering what size tires will I be able to use. The tires that I am using right now are 225/75R16. I am hoping to put BFGoodrich all-terrain TKO2's on my current rims.

If doing the OME 927 / 948 combo they actually give you 2.5 inches of lift
Good for 245-70-16s if you don't want to lose much power, or up to 245-75-16s . Lots of tires out there to choose from
You'll have to pound over the pinch weld for sure with larger tires

pbplayer2327

Reaction score
Good for 245-70-16s if you don't want to lose much power, or up to 245-75-16s . Lots of tires out there to choose from

I was looking to get this lift http://www.quadratec.com/products/76090_50X_PG.htm

It says that it is a 1.5" lift.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

WOW dang thats over 900 bucks !!! :blah:
Why there ?
JeepinByAl
OME 1.50" lift kit KJ
OME 1.50" lift kit KJ

Price $835.70

To me this is cheaper by far and where most of deal at
PLUS it shows 1.5 but if you do the springs I suggested you will get 2.5 inches of lift with noting else added

May I suggest you do some reading on here about lifts and where most deal at etc
Plus done over 35 KJs here plus my 04 has been through several variations so we all know lifts and what works here on JEEPKJ and also LOSTJEEPs:gr_grin:

Last edited:

acrzjeeper

Reaction score
Tomudd can be a little intimidating talking to on here just because he knows so much, but trust his advice. He will not steer you in the wrong direction. The lift does give you 2.5 or little bit more even though it says 1.5. I just recently put this same lift on my KJ. I posted some images of what it looks like with the 1.5 OME lift and tires 245/75 R16 tires. All suggestions from Tommudd. And yes. I live in Utah. 3.5 hours away from Moab :p

Attachments

• IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 123
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0816 copy.jpg
    IMG_0816 copy.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 108

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that it is advertised as a 1.5" lift for Australian insurance purposes... that's what I read on the internet anyways. So it must be true.

And yes, to 'third' this comment, the OME 1.5" lift actually lifts the truck by 2.5" or slightly more. That's without doing any adjustment to the clevis, adding top plates, extra spring isolators, etc.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that it is advertised as a 1.5" lift for Australian insurance purposes... that's what I read on the internet anyways. So it must be true.

And yes, to 'third' this comment, the OME 1.5" lift actually lifts the truck by 2.5" or slightly more. That's without doing any adjustment to the clevis, adding top plates, extra spring isolators, etc.

Yes that is TRUE not something you find on fakebook

pbplayer2327

Reaction score

I have one more question, the jeep club that I am looking to join requires a minimum tire size of 30". What size tires do you suggest that I get? Based on this chart https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty/Tires_&_Rims#Tire.2FLift_Chart
I would need 245-75-16 like you suggested, but would this lower my power or gas mileage? Also would these fit on the stock rims that are on my liberty?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one more question, the jeep club that I am looking to join requires a minimum tire size of 30". What size tires do you suggest that I get? Based on this chart https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty/Tires_&_Rims#Tire.2FLift_Chart
I would need 245-75-16 like you suggested, but would this lower my power or gas mileage? Also would these fit on the stock rims that are on my liberty?

You will notice some power loss and mileage as well
Will go on stock wheels ( correct width for that size)
Will need to knock over the pinch weld of course
also look at what ply tires you get and tread pattern.

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Will need to knock over the pinch weld of course"

I don't understand this sentence. Please, can you give me a photo ?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:signs75:

The pinch weld is the seam that connects two different sections of the unibody together - in the rear of each front wheel well you'll see a narrow bump where the pinch seam intrudes into the wheel well. That bump - or pinch weld - needs to be pounded flat using a large hammer. The pinch weld CANNOT be cut away because it is a vital part of the Jeep's body structure.

Here is a good How-To on pounding the pinch weld.

:waytogo:

Bob

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks a lot.

So, this modification is only valid for both front wheels ? No modification on rear wheels are mandatory ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Pinch weld, rear of front tire
You must be registered for see images attach

Cheyne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will the 245 70R/16 fit prior to the lift? I believe I need to go ahead and get new tires, but I don't want to do the lift until I find out what is going on mechanically with the engine/vibration. It currently has 235 65R/17.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Will the 245 70R/16 fit prior to the lift? I believe I need to go ahead and get new tires, but I don't want to do the lift until I find out what is going on mechanically with the engine/vibration. It currently has 235 65R/17.

If it has 17s on it will need other wheels to fit a 245-70-16

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images

Yes, they fit, but they will rub as you get near full lock. Quite dramatically sounding as well when going forwards, as the plastic is grabbed and released by the tread blocks. In reverse it just sounds like a lot of rubbin'.

It works better with a lift though.

You must be registered for see images

(amazingly, I have no picture of it post-lift and post-wheels/tires but sans plow.)

Cheyne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has 17s on it will need other wheels to fit a 245-70-16

Thanks for the replies. I'm not interested in new wheels and actually like the current wheels. So ... any bigger size that can fit on the current wheel without too much trouble before the lift?

225 75R/17 fit on the current wheel and be bigger for the lift? Or would the current tire still work better?

I don't want a lot of rubbing obviously but would like to get bigger for the lift if the current issues that I'm dealing with can be fixed. If the 235 ride better than the 225 above, then so be it.

Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm not interested in new wheels and actually like the current wheels. So ... any bigger size that can fit on the current wheel without too much trouble before the lift?

225 75R/17 fit on the current wheel and be bigger for the lift? Or would the current tire still work better?

I don't want a lot of rubbing obviously but would like to get bigger for the lift if the current issues that I'm dealing with can be fixed. If the 235 ride better than the 225 above, then so be it.

Thanks.

A 225-75-17 is 30.5 inch tall tire and would be a good size for a 2.5 inch lift
235-75-17 is a 31 inch tall tire and then you're in the area for a regear
neither of them will fit very well if at all unlifted
The tires you currently run are 29 inches tall , although an inch taller does not sound like much, it can create issues

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a 265-70-16 which is about 30.6 inches tall with 2.5 inches of lift for reference