What kind of tires should I get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I need some tires that will....
get at least 50k
be reasonably quiet on the road
have good tread wear
look good
ride fairly smooth

I'm not in the mud that much but I want something I haven't got to worry about getting stuck in wet grass with. I live on a gravel road so they need to be pretty rugged and aggressive but nothing outrageous. I will be in the rocks a little not any more than mud though, so I need something versatile. I really like BFG AT's (Price doesn't matter to a certain point) but I just wondered if there was something better for me.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
atleast 50,000 miles?? my last set of A/Ts only lasted 30,000 IDK why they wore so quickly but they did Im just hoping to get 30k out of my current M/Ts

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The BFG A/T's you mentioned will wear well and are not too noisy on the road in my opinion. I ran 3 sets of them on different vehicles. IIRC I got an easy 60,000+ miles on them with still useable tread left. They will be a little noisier than a street tire but not like an MTR or MT. As far as mud goes, they do have a tendency to clog in heavy mud but clean themselves out fast especially when you hit gravel or pavement. They will sling the mud all over the place......haha

Dave

ranger81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put on General AT 2s on my 06 Libby. I really like them so far. They look good,ride ok and don't seem to make a lot of noise at highway speeds.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tire you are looking for only exist in a dream
you will have to give up some thing to get another

a tighter tread pattern will be quieter on the road but suck off road
it will also last longer on road but after 30-40K it really does not matter which tire you have ,off road they will suck, and chances are good they will probably not be very road "friendly" when it comes to heavy rain unless we are talking "highway rib" type of tire or "all season" tires
We run Goodyear MTR's ,I m not a huge fan of them but the price could not be beat
I will keep them for about 35K then replace them due to the need for traction off road
they are loud and do not ride smooth but I know when I leave the pavement I can count on them at least digging in to the ground not sliding on top like the Dulers I have do
AT revos on an F250 5000# + on the rear axle and all they do is slide on top of wet grass ,going and stopping
I plan to replace the MTR's with 1 of 2 tires depending on what fate lies for the KJ
if my wife is going to keep on DDing then what ever MT I can get cheep
I can get some for about $125 a tire
on the other hand if it is going to become a second toy then I will get the new BFG MT tire ,saw a couple of rigs running them over the weekend and they do very well on the local trails but they all say that they are as loud as super swampers
just some food for thought

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
get at least 50k
be reasonably quiet on the road
have good tread wear
look good
ride fairly smooth

I'm not in the mud that much but I want something I haven't got to worry about getting stuck in wet grass with. I live on a gravel road so they need to be pretty rugged and aggressive but nothing outrageous. I will be in the rocks a little not any more than mud though, so I need something versatile. I really like BFG AT's (Price doesn't matter to a certain point) but I just wondered if there was something better for me.

A bit more information from you would be helpful.
Like, is this Liberty used primarily on paved surfaces. 95%?
Do you off road and what kind of off road?
ie. gravel back roads/ rougher logging roads, no road at all?
More for show? (Yeah, I know, nobody I've ever met can admit to owning more tire than they really need! MT/R or MT for that once in a life time off road excursion!)
Info like that helps and goes alot further in recommending a tire that you might consider as an option for your KJ.

I look at our own KJ. My wife Jennifer tells me that she would really like a set of MT or MT/R tires 'cause they look cool.
For the type of off-roading I can do these days... I say something more usable on the street. (Don't get me wrong, I'd love a set of BFG mud terrain or Khumo Road Venture MT KL71 )
So for me an A/T tire will be a more logical choice.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thus far, I can recommend the Yokohama Geolandars which are the tire I bought after my stocks wore out. They're a really good A/T tire which rates fairly highly. I can't vouch for "at least" 50,000 miles. My street tires got me about 48,000 which considering how little I liked them wasn't bad. My Geolandars now have around 20k on them, and the tread isn't anywhere being worn out so I'm hoping to get at least another 20k on them.

They do fantastic in dirt and snow. They seem to do well on wet pavement. I've never tested them in deep mud, but I'm deathly afraid of deep mud because that will stick the most modded out 4wd if you don't hit it right. Also, they're one of the cheaper tires out there. I got mine from tirerack for about $91 per tire. Just my 2 cents.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
A bit more information from you would be helpful.
Like, is this Liberty used primarily on paved surfaces. 95%?
Do you off road and what kind of off road?
ie. gravel back roads/ rougher logging roads, no road at all?
More for show? (Yeah, I know, nobody I've ever met can admit to owning more tire than they really need! MT/R or MT for that once in a life time off road excursion!)
Info like that helps and goes alot further in recommending a tire that you might consider as an option for your KJ.

I look at our own KJ. My wife Jennifer tells me that she would really like a set of MT or MT/R tires 'cause they look cool.
For the type of off-roading I can do these days... I say something more usable on the street. (Don't get me wrong, I'd love a set of BFG mud terrain or Khumo Road Venture MT KL71 )
So for me an A/T tire will be a more logical choice.

Yes, I offroad
I do quite a bit of back roading since I live in the country, I drive my KJ hunting and there trails on our land are mostly logging roads but some aren't roads at all... not much snow really but if we get some I wanna be able to go in it. I will admit that my tires will be more for show than use probably because I want my rig to look good whether I'm off-road or in town! I will use them but most my driving is on pavement, probably 80%. My Dad has a set of BFG AT's on his 04 Z71 Tahoe and they have 70k on them and they still have alot of side tread getting bald in the middle though, hes about to change them. He does about the same as me driving on pavement though.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get at least 50k--MT/R's will achieve this(Rubicon takeoffs excluded)
be reasonably quiet on the road--You got a problem with manly sounding tires?:D(keeps the woman's nagging unheard)
have good tread wear--Cheap?:D
look good--MT/R's or Interco Boggers
ride fairly smooth--It's a Jeep not a caddy,who cares:D

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yes, I offroad
I do quite a bit of back roading since I live in the country, I drive my KJ hunting and there trails on our land are mostly logging roads but some aren't roads at all... not much snow really but if we get some I wanna be able to go in it. I will admit that my tires will be more for show than use probably because I want my rig to look good whether I'm off-road or in town! I will use them but most my driving is on pavement, probably 80%. My Dad has a set of BFG AT's on his 04 Z71 Tahoe and they have 70k on them and they still have alot of side tread getting bald in the middle though, hes about to change them. He does about the same as me driving on pavement though.

So, why not go with the BFG A/T Radials?
The Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo seems to be a popular choice for KJ's as well.
At the end of the day, the choice is yours!

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't plan on ever taking your Jeep offroad then get a set of A/T's. BFG, Kelly Safari Trek, or 10 Ply (245/75R16) Toyo OpenCountry will probably meet your needs. Just don't rely on the 1st two off road. The Toyo's are fairly decent until you hit the mud. I've seen the BFG's and KST's take a screw and deflate. I have Maxxis Big Horns and I had a screw in my tire for 2 weeks before I took it to get repaired, still didn't get a flat in it though.

Latest posts

Members online