What is this hose for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

missioncontrol

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the boards, and have been a Liberty owner for almost 2 years. So far it's been a nice ride and reliable so I haven't had any issues that needed addressed, but now I have one. Friday my fuel pump went out and since I was on the road with no tools I had to have a shop replace it. Once it was replaced I headed home. After a little over 100 miles I had the same symptoms (No power when mashing the gas) and had to coast over to the side of the road. Fortunately this was right next to a mechanic's shop. They threw a pressure gauge to see if the new pump failed. As they tried to start it, there was no pressure, but one of them notice gas pouring out of the tank. Turns out one of the lines above the tank popped loose. (It was a quick disconnect fitting) they dropped the tank enough to reconnect and sent me on my way.

Today I decided to give my Liberty a thorough look over. I had read that there was an access panel in the cargo area under the carpet, but wasn't sure the best way to pull the carpet. (I'll search around before asking that) anyway, to the main point, while under the vehicle I notices this hose not connected to anything (capped off at one end) and pretty worn. Also noticed a break in it. I was hoping that someone could identify what I am looking at and what it goes to so I can repair it. Attached are two images. It sits (facing the rear of the Liberty) on the left axle the hose itself was just resting on the rear left coil.

Any help would sure be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2013-03-12_16-33-17_951.jpg
    2013-03-12_16-33-17_951.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 2013-03-12_16-33-43_440.jpg
    2013-03-12_16-33-43_440.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 76

missioncontrol

Reaction score
The rear diff breather hose? That's my best guess as it is in that region

o.k. I did notice that the white cap on top was loose where it could act like a vent. Also from your best guess I did go ahead and search "breather hose" and looks like another thread had the same question. That takes a load off my mind. Also tells me I might need to change the diff fluid when I replace the hose.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/what-hose-did-i-just-replace-50606/

Thanks for the quick response

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that's the breather. Does it run all the way up to the top of the gas tank? You can check your diff before changing the fluid (although I would probably recommend changing) by popping off the little rubber plug on the rear-end side. Stick your finger in there (make sure it hasn't been driven for a few minutes. Could be hot!) and dip it in the fluid. If it's a milky green, it's got water in it. If it's black, it's just old and should be replaced anyway. if it's a nice goldish color and relatively transparent, then the fluid is A-OK.

missioncontrol

Reaction score
I believe that's the breather. Does it run all the way up to the top of the gas tank? You can check your diff before changing the fluid (although I would probably recommend changing) by popping off the little rubber plug on the rear-end side. Stick your finger in there (make sure it hasn't been driven for a few minutes. Could be hot!) and dip it in the fluid. If it's a milky green, it's got water in it. If it's black, it's just old and should be replaced anyway. if it's a nice goldish color and relatively transparent, then the fluid is A-OK.

thanks for the tips. The hose was just resting on the rear spring. there was a metal clip on it which gave me the indication it mounted to something, I just didn't know what. I'll give it a better look so I know where it should mount once I replace the hose.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tips. The hose was just resting on the rear spring. there was a metal clip on it which gave me the indication it mounted to something, I just didn't know what. I'll give it a better look so I know where it should mount once I replace the hose.

If it weren't raining, I would run out to the Jeep and take a picture for you! :(

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear diff breather and it's broken at the axle. The cap at the other end is the actual vent piece (hopefully not clogged).
You must be registered for see images

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
The rear diff breather hose? That's my best guess as it is in that region

Correct.

It would only be run up the the fuel filler tube if it's already been extended. If not, it lives closer to the frontside of the fuel tank... or right around that area. It's been years since I extended the breathers on mine, so I don't quite remember where I found it now. :pp:

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct.

It would only be run up the the fuel filler tube if it's already been extended. If not, it lives closer to the frontside of the fuel tank... or right around that area. It's been years since I extended the breathers on mine, so I don't quite remember where I found it now. :pp:

I kinda want to extend my front. It always takes on water. I have heard that it's currently located under the battery tray. Is that true? How can I extend it?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda want to extend my front. It always takes on water. I have heard that it's currently located under the battery tray. Is that true? How can I extend it?

There's a clip that holds it to one of the upper shock bolts under the battery tray. You could put a larger ID hose over it with a length of breather hose-size tubing coming out the end of the extension and run it up next to the Power Distribution Center. Just be careful of the serpentine belt.

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a clip that holds it to one of the upper shock bolts under the battery tray. You could put a larger ID hose over it with a length of breather hose-size tubing coming out the end of the extension and run it up next to the Power Distribution Center. Just be careful of the serpentine belt.

Bob

Thanks for the info!! :)

:cheers: