What is the best oil/filter to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dougmac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These threads always crack me up.....

Everybody has something "special" that they do and they never have any problems.

The bottom line is anyone that changes oil at the recommended interval and uses any brand of oil, synthetic or not, with the correct API service classification, is going to be able to say the specific product they use works without any problem.

If it is an API licensed oil, it has been tested to extremes beyond anything that it will ever be subject to in your engine.

For example Sequence IIIG is one of the many test sequences required. Here is what it requires:
3.8l GM V-6
- 100 Hours sampled @ 0,20, 40, 60, 80 and 100
- 3600 RPMs
- 125 HP
- 311 Degrees F oil temperature

Last edited:

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually run 5.5 Qts of oil I have noticed a serious difference in adding that extra half Qt, and when I had originally gotten it and had been driving it. It did have about an extra half Qt of oil in it. I had run the last two changes at 5 Qt's and noticed the engine really did not care for that. So now back at 5.5 Qt's it runs much MUCH quieter and idles better.

I think I'd pull a valve cover or two to see what kind of issues I was facing.

karljp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using Mobil 1 and Wix filter, and my engine runs fine.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using Mobil 1 and Wix filter, and my engine runs fine.

99.8% do. What's a lot more rare and interesting is the ones who can show documented failures caused by defective oil or filter.

Bob

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 for both oil and filter in all my vehicles. Never had any issues.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm cheapin out on the 02 hunt camp Liberty!!! Picked up Walmart's Supertech fluids.
ATF+4=$4.27 qt, 5 qt jug of 5w30 Dino oil=$11.44, Gallon of 80w90 gear oil=$12.67. And then to top it off I went with a Motorcraft oil filter!!!!

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Motorcraft filter= Purolator manufacture to Ford specs. Damn good product.

MOPAR and most AC Delco (as well as K&N) are all manufactured by "Champion Laboratories". Didn't have a problem with that, or their "Champ" branded filters either until Fram bought em out. THAT makes me a bit uneasy.

Bob

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motorcraft filter= Purolator manufacture to Ford specs. Damn good product.

That's good to know. I usually run Wix or Motorcraft in my Ranger and just bought a few Motorcrafts for the KJ on a wicked good sale.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I used to run Motorcrafts on the KJ (FL400s) then I noticed that they starting making the filter smaller than the specified Purolater (or by Fram), so I switched to the "normal" size Purolator.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to run Motorcrafts on the KJ (FL400s) then I noticed that they starting making the filter smaller than the specified Purolater (or by Fram), so I switched to the "normal" size Purolator.

That's a good point! I did notice that the KJ Motorcraft is a bit smaller than the Wix. The Ranger filter is a giant and all brands I've seen appear to be the same size.

andrewjbo

Reaction score
Filters, stick with companies that focus mainly on them. I.e. wix, k&n oil in the other hand well its all comes from only 3 compamies. Your Castrol, valvoline, quaker state is all from the same oil company. You're paying for the name not the product. When it comes to oil there us only a difference when you have full synthetic. There these companies have their own secret recipe. And if you run full the best two right now are mobile 1 and royal purple depending one the use. Speed vs torque.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N have always been and are still built by "CHAMPION LABORATORIES". CHAMPION LABS was recently purchased by Fram.

They've been OEM builder for MOPAR, and AC Delco since AC became a "DELPHI" subsidiary.

Bob

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filters, stick with companies that focus mainly on them. I.e. wix, k&n oil in the other hand well its all comes from only 3 compamies. Your Castrol, valvoline, quaker state is all from the same oil company. You're paying for the name not the product. When it comes to oil there us only a difference when you have full synthetic. There these companies have their own secret recipe. And if you run full the best two right now are mobile 1 and royal purple depending one the use. Speed vs torque.

I tried explaining that to a customer once, they looked at me like I was an idiot. Similarly I shut a customer up who was bragging up Dayton Tires but called Firestone complete junk, after I told him Dayton was made by Firestone never heard from him again. Motorcraft is one of my favorite oil filters.

andrewjbo

Reaction score
That's is awesome. It always makes my day when people start taking nonsense because it's what my mechanic says. You mean the guy that can put parts on but don't know what the parts are called

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried explaining that to a customer once, they looked at me like I was an idiot. Similarly I shut a customer up who was bragging up Dayton Tires but called Firestone complete junk, after I told him Dayton was made by Firestone never heard from him again. Motorcraft is one of my favorite oil filters.

Motorcraft is one of my favorites as well. Probably a better product than any Purolator puts their own name on. They do build them, just to FOMOCO specs. Their silicon gaskets and check valves are likely the best in the industry.

Dayton is to Firestone what Kelly Springfield is to Goodyear. a test bed for new ideas/procedures/design before putting them out under the parent name. This works both ways. A new cost/corner cutting innovation will be tried on the "guinea pig" as well as the newest performance innovations. So the house brand can very well be considerably better, or considerably worse than the parent product. Just depends on which end of the stick you get stuck with.

Bob

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's is awesome. It always makes my day when people start taking nonsense because it's what my mechanic says. You mean the guy that can put parts on but don't know what the parts are called

That was one of my most extreme peeve's when in Auto Service, they would rather listen to the next door Joe who works for a six pack, doesn't know what the actual problem is, claims to know it all about cars. Over listening to somebody who is trained to find, and fix the problem not to mention who knows products in and out, what is snake oil and what isn't. Nothing was more aggravating than hearing ''My Mechanic will fix it." Then why did you come to find out the problem if you have a ''Mechanic'' he's supposed to find out what is wrong and then fix it, not just replace the parts. Reminds me of the woman, who during an Ice Storm watched try to climb an ice covered hill, she was spinning the tires and making smoke fly from them climbing. Comes in the next day, says ''I need air in my tires, I could barely climb the hill yesterday." my response ''Air isn't going to change the traction of your tires, you have to have all season tires." Her response ''Tires are too expensive so all I can buy are the cheap tires." My response ''Then you're going to have issues when ice and snow falls like that since what you bought are not actual all seasons." ''Well tires are just too expensive to buy." On her car, 400 bucks would have gotten her a set of actual descent all seasons she had a Honda with 14 inch wheels. She would buy the cheap in house brand that was only good for Spring, Summer and Fall. Mostly good for Summer.

Motorcraft is one of my favorites as well. Probably a better product than any Purolator puts their own name on. They do build them, just to FOMOCO specs. Their silicon gaskets and check valves are likely the best in the industry.

Dayton is to Firestone what Kelly Springfield is to Goodyear. a test bed for new ideas/procedures/design before putting them out under the parent name. This works both ways. A new cost/corner cutting innovation will be tried on the "guinea pig" as well as the newest performance innovations. So the house brand can very well be considerably better, or considerably worse than the parent product. Just depends on which end of the stick you get stuck with.

Bob

That is entirely true, Bridgestone's second in house product FUZION tires, were supposed to be a low cost/quality tire. Well somebody forgot to emphasize the quality part, so you had a cheap extremely fantastic tire. Took Bridgestone nearly a year to figure out why their low budget tire was so popular. After they found out, they yanked it out of their secondary retail stores, limited availability to their main stores and sold them only to whole sale distributors. Same thing with the LeMans series, which was a rebranded Dayton Tire, but it was a cheap fantastic tire and it was selling out of Firestone Stores like hotcakes. They finally like Dayton had to discontinue it since people were buying those over the main Firestone Product. So now you have the entirely unrelated but owned by Bridgestone ''Primewell'' which is a rebranded Enduro Tire as their in house budget brand that isn't worth what people pay for it.

andrewjbo

Reaction score
The new craze I've noticed is can you hook the obdll up. My check engine lights on. I always ask when's the last time you filled up. Answers range from 1 to 2. So I walk out tighten the gas cap and,walk away. You're not going to run the computer thing? Nope. Why not? You're ******** come back after you drove 25 miles. I waste more time running diagnostics per day than anything else. And on the off chance that's it's something wrong say the wheel bearing speed sensor. Advance has their brand called driveworks. All driveworks are garbage and I'll explain it to them but instead of spending a couple bucks more for a better part and a better warrenty they opt for the cheap one and I see them a week or 2 later. I really wish people would even take their car to a real garage or listen to what I say. Oh and my favorite quote is do you have any skrutt for a crown vic? Sir, I don't sell skrutt, there's no such thing. No you know the skrutt it keeps the car on the skreet. I just shook my head and walked away.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is entirely true, Bridgestone's second in house product FUZION tires, were supposed to be a low cost/quality tire. Well somebody forgot to emphasize the quality part, so you had a cheap extremely fantastic tire. Took Bridgestone nearly a year to figure out why their low budget tire was so popular. After they found out, they yanked it out of their secondary retail stores, limited availability to their main stores and sold them only to whole sale distributors.

That's what is on my Jeep and my F150 through Peerless tires.