What is the best oil/filter to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just picked up an '04 Renegade. Looking to change the oil (always do every time i get a new vehicle). Just looking for feedback on what oil/filter combo has worked best for everyone. Thanks in advance!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of variations to follow I'm sure, but I've been happy with Wix filters and Mobil 1 High Mileage. OCI is usually about 3-4k

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I use Castrol GTX, change every 3k with a Pureoilator filter

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using Valvoline synthetic 5w30 and Purolator Pure One filters.

Dave

ps.......I don't think there is a "best one"

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all a ******* game with oil... Filters are a little different, I would say Wix makes some of the better stuff out there. I'm planning on doing a switch to a high zinc formula of Amsoil eventually but that's going to be a while. Stick with what suits your needs best.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odd, I run a shop, do dozens of oil changes weekly, and use the cheapest filter (not necessarily the sorriest) and oil I keep in stock in my personal Chevy Silverado SS. That's a Chinese made filter, "ProGauge", and Phillips66 semi synthetic oil. Trucks got 242,*** miles and is always full at 3,500 mile change time (that is if I don't go over 4k because of neglect). This is a high output, premium fuel only 6L engine I run the azz of of.

But go ahead and pay for the name brands and all their advertising if it makes you feel better.

Bob

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also run Castrol GTX 5W30 with a Motorcraft FL400 filter. Wix is probably a better filter but with oil changes every 3000 miles I'm not as concerned as I would be with extended mileage oil changes.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 and best NAPA filter, 217,000 on the KJ, 3 XJs went 250,000-300,000 with that combo, plus a few other Jeeps and Ford pickups
Use good quality oil and filter and don't take chances
( oh changed every 3-3500 miles)

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Synthetics are superior lubricants,,,,,after conventional oils have began to degrade from use.

Changing them on a conventional lube schedule is a total waste of money, but if it makes you feel good, or perhaps even a bit superior,,, GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

Bob

colorado76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:head3: Adding my two cents, for oil Havoline Pro DS Full Synthetic only for all my rides. Most of the time I use a Wix filter or Napa Gold (aka - Wix's filter), also Purolator filters all up to who has the better price.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Synthetics are superior lubricants,,,,,after conventional oils have began to degrade from use.

Changing them on a conventional lube schedule is a total waste of money, but if it makes you feel good, or perhaps even a bit superior,,, GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

Bob

Given the sludge issues these engines have I would be reluctant to leave any kind of oil in them for more than 4000 miles.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Always synthetics and good filter.
Lately have been using Penzoil platinum (full syn) and Mobil 1 filter.
53102[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Napa also has a synthetic media oil filter in their Platinum series, may try one of those one day.

Attachments

• cOeFxc8.jpg
    cOeFxc8.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 full syn extended performance, and go an easy 6k miles since the oil has anti-sludging properties, the opposite of how conventional oil reacts.
For a filter, I generally use either Mopar or STP. If you notice exact external similarities between some of the popular filter cans, that would be because Champion Laboratories makes the Mobil 1, Royal Purple, STP, Mopar, plus a handful of other names. I'm not saying the innards are exactly the same between them all though.
In the long analysis doing less frequent oil and filter changes with synthetic costs less money and time to use compared to conventional oil.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best oil is the one you change. No oil is better than another once it is dirty and thick use the brand that you like and change it when it looks dirty. That will give you the best oil. I change my oil around 3000 miles that is when it gets dark and not as clear and clean. I dont care how many miles i have driven i check levels at every gas fill up. If it is dirty i change it the next weekend. I use castrol gtx high mileage with a k&n filter that has a nut on the back. Other people might not like what i have to say but thats my opinion. Check your oil frequently and change it once its dark. I will be trying a Wix filter just for the rave reviews i see on the forum but the nut on k&n makes things a little easier.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Bob

Waste of money....mmmm I for one hate to waste money nor do I love changing oil that much that I just can't wait to change it weekly. But I do know for a fact that my engine still doesn't burn or lose any at 217,000 miles, still comes out as clean as it did when it had 500 miles on it.
So no doesn't make me feel superior or even good, well good to know I am not leaving dirty oil in there. Dusty back roads, crap in the air etc I'll keep wasting my time and money I guess :happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175: