What do people think on Synthetic Motor Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im about to do a oil change and am thinking about Synthetic Motor Oil for the 3.7 liberty.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run synthetic but I have since it was new. You might get better flow or longer change intervals but I don't think there is anything wrong with dino. How many miles on your KJ? What was in it before? If you are going to do regular changes I don't think it really matters. Use the right weight. My KJ says right on the oil cap 5w30 weight. Some take 5w20. It says on the cap. Use that weight.

Dave

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather not pay the money for it when a quart is gunna be gone in 3k miles anyways.. but respectively I'm not going to argue with someone who says it's a good idea.
Just not needed IMO, keep up on your oil maintainence and you'll be just fine using regular Dino oil.. I use semi-synthetic, but simply because I've been running valvoline high mileage in it religiously for 100k

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The only advantage with syn for the KJs is a longer drain interval. Dino oil has really come a long way. Can pick just about anything off Walmart's shelf in 5w30 and be good to go.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Synthetic change every 10,000. With a filter change at 5,000

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been running Mobil 1 full syn for over 25 years , maybe longer .
All of mine are ran up into the 200-250,000 range at least with no issues
Religious about changing it more than some think is required BUT it works for me
The 04 didn't go down over 1/3 quart in 4-5000 miles,( even with over 220,000 on it) the 03 is doing about the same. The 05 uses about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart in 5000 miles
so none are bad at all

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Synthetic change every 10,000. With a filter change at 5,000

10,000 miles is past my comfort level. I just change oil/filter when convenient for me between 4-5,000 miles.

Whatever you feel comfy with.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
10,000 miles is past my comfort level. I just change oil/filter when convenient for me between 4-5,000 miles.

Whatever you feel comfy with.

Dave

Used to do every 3-3500, but any more 4-4500
would never go 10,000 miles, too OCD

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why? I've ran my Simi 300,000 miles with out changing the oil. But I did have an oil bypass filtration system on. With oil analysis at every 15000 mile filter change. Oil doesn't wear out it just gets dirty. And looses some of it cleaning additive. But make up oil add for what has been lost over that time and at filter changes replenishes those additives .The only reason it got changed then was do to a faulty​ injector. I've ran several on this kj. at 5000 it was very clean with very little contamination and the oil life was still in the green. During this 5000 miles I added 1 QT of oil at roughly 3,000 miles.Changed filter added a little over half a QT to bring back to full. At the 10,000 mile mark oil came back still good but towards the lower end so dropped oil and replace.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used to do every 3-3500, but any more 4-4500
would never go 10,000 miles, too OCD

I must be OCD too. Years ago I ran 6,-7000 miles once on a vehicle and couldn't sleep at night.....had OCI-OCD, LOL

Dave

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why? I've ran my Simi 300,000 miles with out changing the oil. But I did have an oil bypass filtration system on. With oil analysis at every 15000 mile filter change. Oil doesn't wear out it just gets dirty. And looses some of it cleaning additive. But make up oil add for what has been lost over that time and at filter changes replenishes those additives .The only reason it got changed then was do to a faulty​ injector. I've ran several on this kj. at 5000 it was very clean with very little contamination and the oil life was still in the green. During this 5000 miles I added 1 QT of oil at roughly 3,000 miles.Changed filter added a little over half a QT to bring back to full. At the 10,000 mile mark oil came back still good but towards the lower end so dropped oil and replace.

Except it does "wear out" in the sense that it becomes more sensitive to shearing forces as the viscosity drops. BUT, as you say, adding in your top off quart restores some of that. More if you add more top off relative to how much it holds. Given that, you're right, keep changing filters and running a UOA, and you could get away with not changing the whole thing for a very very long time.

I had a 94 Grand Marquis, 4.6L v8 that had leaky valve stem seals... it leaked and burned oil at a rate that was not extreme, but made changing 5qts at a time not cost effective. So I changed the filter every 3-5,000, and added a quart to top it off about once every 2 or 3 months. Worked fine on that engine.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A 5qt system is vastly different then a 30+qt system using a special filter system.Also adding a qt with a filter change does not replenish additives,slight boost but not nearly what it needs to be.

Plus your not doing stop and go driving in a semi.

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to change conventional oil at 3,000 miles. Now I change synthetic every 6,000 miles. It's probably still on the conservative side but mine doesn't burn any oil between changes either.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to change conventional oil at 3,000 miles. Now I change synthetic every 6,000 miles. It's probably still on the conservative side but mine doesn't burn any oil between changes either.

This goes for everyone as well, if what you're doing is working, keep doing it.

If you've used conventional oil and cheap filters changed every 5,000 miles for the past 100k miles... clearly you're doing something right. Don't change it.