What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Today I put the Onki Stainless steel bullbar back on Giddyup.

While obviously not as sturdy, or nice, as an ARB bumper, I have no need for a winch and there are plenty of deer and other larger critters around here, and this thing is sturdy enough and tall enough and mounted well enough to keep them from going through through the radiator etc. or through the windshield if I happen to hit them dead on.
That said, I do ALWAYS try to hit them on their haunches...hmmm....somehow that sounds just a little wrong, but I'm just gonna let the statement stand on its own. :eek:
You must be registered for see images attach
It appears either I have free gas gift cards in my pocket, or Frieda Kahlo is just happy to see me. ;)

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he means is lights and bullbars create turbulence which interferes with how air flows through the radiator. doesn't matter how aerodynamic the are. You've got an overkill fan, so that helps rectify the issue when crawling along off road when flow is low. At highway speeds the fan shouldn't be running but airflow is in excess so no issue.

Personally not a fan of bumper light bars. Noisy as hell. Properly adjusted pods actually work better and can be adjusted to fill in the gaps.

Appreciate the comments, but it seems like some of you guys are overthinking this...

Sure, various forms of turbulence will always be created by anything mounted on the front or top of the vehicle ... thus my comment about expecting reduced MPG which is in fact a drawback to bullbars and/or non aerodynamically designed bumpers.

But simply in terms of engine cooling, and as you point out, at low crawling speeds there will be minimal turbulence that might interrupt airflow thorough the radiator and at highway speeds, also as you point out, excess airflow means turbulence wont be an issue, at least in terms of engine cooling. Maybe I should get out and remove the lights when driving at those in between speeds when turbulence might slightly (though honestly I doubt at all) reduces cooling capacity?? :rolleyes:

Of course, your point about light bars (I'll point out also roof racks) being noisier at highway speeds is true, but whether shes rock crawling or galloping down the highway, IMO the increase in noise is NOT going to be very noticeable over the racket of the mighty snorting diesel!!!

And if for some reason it IS a noticeable problem, I'll just turn the stereo up!! :)

Just sayin'

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
As an aside… the location and size are equivalent to the stock renegade fogs. They are slightly outboard of Sea’s location but shouldn’t cause a drastic reduction.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Went to adjust standard interior rear view mirror, it flew off & bounced into the passenger seat. :rolleyes:
Remounting it was easy, as long as you have the small T-bit driver. I guess some blue lock tight should be applied. o_O
The upper rear brake lights has the same T-bit, so I used some wax/ Spring cleaning time.

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had acquired a set of used tires a few months back for the Jeep. Turns out they weren't perfectly round (had been sitting in a garage for many years) so they went in the bin and I put a set of new tires on the Jeep today. Just some Westlake A/T's, nothing too fancy as I just spend $1600 on a set of tires for the wife's new car. But I will say these tires are round and don't shake my teeth out when I hit 80km/h :D

JTSherer

Reaction score
I have an 04. I removed the roof rack , cut the pedestals and will be shaving them to match the thickness of the trim. I'll be reinstalling them in the same footprint and installing a xj roofrack over the top of them. No pictures now but I'll keep you posted with pictures of some actual progress. It's given whatever momentum I have left at the end of the day.

JTSherer

Reaction score
Still need to smooth it out and torch it but it's coming along. The front bolt will be the one to hold the rack and the rear will just get an acorn nut until I find the right light to mount on each side.

Little by little.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-04-14-18-02-29-865.jpg
    IMG_2024-04-14-18-02-29-865.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2024-04-14-12-38-39-402.jpg
    IMG_2024-04-14-12-38-39-402.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 5

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gave the paint a good cleaning - clay bar to get all the little rust spots off, a polish, and a nice coat of wax to top it off :cool: