What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a problem that’s gotten continuously worse. I’ve got a really bad metallic rattle in my 05 CRD. Thought it was timing components but I did a timing kit and it’s still there. It’s getting worse so I need to find what what’s going on. It only makes the noise at idle especially if it’s cold. As soon as you give it throttle it goes away and it’s not as bad when it’s hot. My mechanic said there’s a possibility of the turbo rattling, but it sounds like it’s coming from the engine not the turbo ‍♂️. Anyways the turbo does seem to be dying and I have an under-boost code so maybe he’s right. Any ideas to try?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Laugh all you want. Been driving Uber with Khan.
Have a bit of a crisis as Mama's Alzheimers is in the late stages and had to get her full time care. (No worries- that's just life folks) As a result been trying to find extra work to get us through the crisis to no avail. Apparently (and frustratingly) the artist turned engineer turned biologist makes me "overqualified" for everything.

Good news is I found a very profitable niche with Uber and have been clearing 200$ an afternoon! Aren't any drivers around the town south of Omaha I reside in, and thanks to all the work I did on the Rubi, am getting a whopping 21mpg! Only driving 14-1900 (2 to 7 PM for you civvies) five days a week.

The Rubi is gorgeous inside and out, so really helps with tips. Plus, I still drive if the weather is crappy.
Financial Crisis resolved and a little extra money to put away for gear and excursions.
Win-Win.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got to poking around the 65th.
******* me forgot his inspection camera, so I could only do some other basic tests.
plugs are the right basic part number and manufacturer, but iridiums. idiots.
scan tool says #6 misfire.
pulled the plug and it was wet with gas, and black.
swapped 4 and 6 coils to make sure it wasn't a dead coil, didn't follow.
unplugged the #6 injector and it runs less poorly. sounds like it's backfiring when the injector is working.

pretty confident it either dropped a valve seat, or a rocker arm. but man that passenger valve cover looks like a PAIN to get off. lots of stuff in the way.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it amazing how much people around me want for jeep parts. For example, there was a liberty for sale that was more rust than steel, guy wanted 900 bucks, or 200 for me to come and pull a few parts. NO thankyou.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not much different here really.
seems like part of it is scrap yards are paying a bit more than they used to.
and some places (like here) the salvage yards don't even have them any longer, as they're crushing anything that's older than 10 years it seems. Or they're being bought out and the property turned into condos.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody let's anything go cheaply anymore, I'm lucky enough to have an old style scrapyard just up the road.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Well I took a stab at changing out the heater core today.
Started after work and got as far as the dash is loose and hoping to install the hear core tomorrow morning.
Watched a few you tubes before starting and flew at it.
Will report back when I’m done.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I find it amazing how much people around me want for jeep parts. For example, there was a liberty for sale that was more rust than steel, guy wanted 900 bucks, or 200 for me to come and pull a few parts. NO thankyou.
Speaking of which, I keep sending you messages about the stalk I sent you for troubleshooting. It has been several weeks and I have still not heard from you. If it worked let me know and we can negotiate a deal. If not, please send it back.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a problem that’s gotten continuously worse. I’ve got a really bad metallic rattle in my 05 CRD. Thought it was timing components but I did a timing kit and it’s still there. It’s getting worse so I need to find what what’s going on. It only makes the noise at idle especially if it’s cold. As soon as you give it throttle it goes away and it’s not as bad when it’s hot. My mechanic said there’s a possibility of the turbo rattling, but it sounds like it’s coming from the engine not the turbo ‍♂️. Anyways the turbo does seem to be dying and I have an under-boost code so maybe he’s right. Any ideas to try?

Nobody let's anything go cheaply anymore, I'm lucky enough to have an old style scrapyard just up the road.
I know I paid 500$ CAD for my niece 05 liberty(needed a head). Pre covid that would have been 150 tops.... and only because I know the scrap guys would have only tossed them a 50 if that

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving rich people out to their million dollar retreat in the Middle of Nowhere, Iowa was fun.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Where I'm from, a multi million dollar retreat can be a 4000 sq ft property with a crack shack.... not even joking either

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to replacing my ignition lock cylinder today. I bought a dorman self coding replacement. I spend about 1 second of my life coding it, without having to swap out any of the wafers..... it was a thing of beauty. I also replaced B2S1 O2 sensor to fix a heater circuit code and installed the fuel tank skid plate. I then proceeded to shoot the breeze with my coworkers and talk about christmas part shenanigans from last night.

Attachments

• 20231216_144643.jpg
    20231216_144643.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 9

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Just finshed installing a new heater core, went for a cruise and it feels I went to hell and back that the KJ is so warm. Picked the Jeep up in 2020 and I always knew that I needed a new heater core.
Once I removed it today, I went and pulled the top plastic manifold off of the old heater core to see what it looks like inside.
At first glance, it looked like there was pink jelly in numerous tubes, then I thought why don't I try to fill up the 12 U tubes with a water bottle and see how many are plugged. Well I had flow out of 3 of the 12 tubes.
That makes the core 75% plugged.
I know there is hear say that there is a bypass in them, wrong, no bypass's in our heater cores.
I had a bit of heat on setting 2 and no heat on setting 3 and 4 for almost 4 years.
I also tried 3 times to flush it out, but the solution I used just went to the path of the least resisitance through the 3 tubes.
If you got no heat, put a new heater core in, I did it without evacuating the A/C, it was tight and I made no modifications to the new heater core.
Took most of it apart on Friday night and then went at her Saturday morning.
First time doing a heater core and now I'm an expert. JK.
10 hours from start to finish.
Miller time now.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which, I keep sending you messages about the stalk I sent you for troubleshooting. It has been several weeks and I have still not heard from you. If it worked let me know and we can negotiate a deal. If not, please send it back.
pm sent