What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, did some more testing. When I activate the hazard lights, everything turns on, but blinkers still don’t work. So I am guessing it’s the blinker relay in the hazard switch or the stalk. What do you all think?
You must be registered for see images attach

Your signals run through the hazard switch, then output to the BCM, through a couple relays and down to your signal wiring and the bulbs. Your entire circuit is good after the hazard switch. That leaves the multi function switch and the wiring between the switch and hazard switch. It's far more common to see the switch go vs the wiring.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have an interesting story to tell.
First, the jeep's been sitting for more than a month, possibly closer to 2. (this is important.)
Second, I took it for a drive today, for reasons. During that drive, my TPMS light started flashing. ..... I don't have TPMS sensors, and my system is disabled (more on THAT later.)
Get home, grab the scan tool, and start poking around. I have the PIN code for the SKIM system so I go and check... yep, TPMS is disabled.
BUT... to verify that, you have to ENABLE it, because my Autel MS906Pro is stupid, has both DISABLE and ENABLE "buttons" but really both act as toggles, and you can't confirm the state until you change it. (Yes, that's stupid.)
So I enable it, and BAM solid TPMS light, as it should (no sensors at all programmed.)
I disable it, and it starts flashing again. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
I drive it again, still flashes periodically, and of course chimes when it goes through it's flash cycle.
I look it up, and flashing TPMS means bad/missing spare sensor.
Again, this jeep has NEVER had TPMS active... EVER.
So i'm out, we go get cat food, and I happen to glance down... my left rear looks a bit low.
I get home and check... 16 psi. Well that's not good. I go around and check everybody.
LF 22psi
RF 24psi
LR 16psi
RR 28psi
I reset everyone to 33psi, and take it for a drive. No more flashing TPMS light.

So my postulation:
Despite having a "disabled" TPMS system, because this is an 07 (might work on 06's as well) and has full 4 channel ABS, it still runs some rudimentary TPMS calculations, based on wheel speed data from the ABS system, possibly also the steering angle sensor (realized I was having to turn the wheel a bit to the right to stay straight.)

So the possible lesson... even if you don't have TPMS, and you have an 07 (possibly 06? or higher?), AND the light starts flashing and chiming, check your tires. :D

eta: just for chuckles I fired up the 906, graphed all 4 wheel speed sensors, and went for a drive. the lines were completely overlapping, except for when I was making a turn, which is to be expected.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have an interesting story to tell.
First, the jeep's been sitting for more than a month, possibly closer to 2. (this is important.)
Second, I took it for a drive today, for reasons. During that drive, my TPMS light started flashing. ..... I don't have TPMS sensors, and my system is disabled (more on THAT later.)
Get home, grab the scan tool, and start poking around. I have the PIN code for the SKIM system so I go and check... yep, TPMS is disabled.
BUT... to verify that, you have to ENABLE it, because my Autel MS906Pro is stupid, has both DISABLE and ENABLE "buttons" but really both act as toggles, and you can't confirm the state until you change it. (Yes, that's stupid.)
So I enable it, and BAM solid TPMS light, as it should (no sensors at all programmed.)
I disable it, and it starts flashing again. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
I drive it again, still flashes periodically, and of course chimes when it goes through it's flash cycle.
I look it up, and flashing TPMS means bad/missing spare sensor.
Again, this jeep has NEVER had TPMS active... EVER.
So i'm out, we go get cat food, and I happen to glance down... my left rear looks a bit low.
I get home and check... 16 psi. Well that's not good. I go around and check everybody.
LF 22psi
RF 24psi
LR 16psi
RR 28psi
I reset everyone to 33psi, and take it for a drive. No more flashing TPMS light.

So my postulation:
Despite having a "disabled" TPMS system, because this is an 07 (might work on 06's as well) and has full 4 channel ABS, it still runs some rudimentary TPMS calculations, based on wheel speed data from the ABS system, possibly also the steering angle sensor (realized I was having to turn the wheel a bit to the right to stay straight.)

So the possible lesson... even if you don't have TPMS, and you have an 07 (possibly 06? or higher?), AND the light starts flashing and chiming, check your tires. :D

eta: just for chuckles I fired up the 906, graphed all 4 wheel speed sensors, and went for a drive. the lines were completely overlapping, except for when I was making a turn, which is to be expected.
4 WHEEL ABS is a very euro way of getting tpms. Pretty effective and low cost and nothing to break. You can likely thank Mercedes for out smarting you on that one :)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the fog light one
I have my old non-fog one in a box. (I added the factory fog light kit and installed it myself.) If you suspect it may be the stalk let me know. I am pretty sure you'd want the fog one anyway, but might help for troubleshooting purpose.

Ironically, the fog switch on mine now does nothing. This happened after most of the steering column was replaced ten years and four days ago. I've been considering just wiring my fogs to an independent switch since as it is now they come on with the parking lights and stay on.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my old non-fog one in a box. (I added the factory fog light kit and installed it myself.) If you suspect it may be the stalk let me know. I am pretty sure you'd want the fog one anyway, but might help for troubleshooting purpose.

Ironically, the fog switch on mine now does nothing. This happened after most of the steering column was replaced ten years and four days ago. I've been considering just wiring my fogs to an independent switch since as it is now they come on with the parking lights and stay on.
Just let me know how much shipping costs, it would be nice to know for sure

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calling all wisconsinites! Anyone got control stock set that's out of the vehicle? :D

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 WHEEL ABS is a very euro way of getting tpms. Pretty effective and low cost and nothing to break. You can likely thank Mercedes for out smarting you on that one :)
Would have been nice if there was some documentation about that some place. I might not have wound up chasing my tails as much as I was. Also, since this current set of tires is past its expiration date so to speak, when I get ready to get new ones maybe I'll play some experiments and deflate a single tire heavily and see what happens.

Also, what's the current consensus on predominantly road but still want some unimproved terrain capabilities? I'm thinking of going with falcon wild peak at3w at this point.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well apparently it's not fixed. I drove it today and before I even started moving it's was flashing. about 15 minutes into the drive it flashed again

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of my 3 XJ's only the '98, with a 2" lift & 31" MT's is that bad.

Of course we don't buy/run Jeeps for economy, but it's so depressing that Jeep haven't managed to improve on an '84 (or earlier) 4.0 straight 6 in something with the aerodynamics of a house brick.
True. The 3.7 should have been an improvement over the 4.0. The 3.7 isn’t a bad engine, but I miss the 4.0 in my previous XJ.

The reason my KK is so thirsty is that I haven’t regeared but am running a 4” lift and 31” tires. On the highway I can get 17 mpg (or even 19 sometimes!), but the stop and go city driving is a mpg killer. My average in the city is around 11 mpg.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I track my fuel usage and services on an app, Gas Buddy. When we moved to our new place last year, my jeep’s average mpg was 16.5mpg, and today it ticked to 16.9.

You must be registered for see images attach
Thats about what I got on Bert, +/- 0.5 running 87 10% EtOH.
For comparison, Khan gets 18.9 around town, 23 highway with the 2L turbo and Shell brand non EtOH 87. No difference with the 91, EtOH or not.

No clue why, but on both vehicles I lost about 2mpg running other brands of fuel.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Have to say the novelty of fuel consumption for a "new" vehicle swiftly palls - like after the 1st 2 or 3 tankfulls. My 1st XJ did a steady 20 mpg, all day, every day, come what may. The KJ doesn't come near that, in fact the KJ seems to have been particularly ill-served by advances in technology, because it's not significantly better than a 4.7 WJ I had.

Then again, my recently acquired Suzuki Grand Vitara only manages low 20's on the highway, presumably because although (or maybe, because) it's only 1600cc, it cruises @ 4,000 RPM, whereas the XJ rarely goes above 2,000 (can't speak for the KJ 'cos it's so long since I drove it any distance, I can't remember.)

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True. The 3.7 should have been an improvement over the 4.0. The 3.7 isn’t a bad engine, but I miss the 4.0 in my previous XJ.

The reason my KK is so thirsty is that I haven’t regeared but am running a 4” lift and 31” tires. On the highway I can get 17 mpg (or even 19 sometimes!), but the stop and go city driving is a mpg killer. My average in the city is around 11 mpg.
Both my XJ’s got really good mileage on long trips. The first, an 89, was particularly good, yet it was lifted 4” and had 31’s. Without any wind, my usual 3 hour trip was good for about 25mpg. Once, I had a 30+mph tail wind all the way home. I filled up and calculated 31mpg. It also didn’t balk at trailers. My ‘90 was a pig with any trailer, loaded or not. It was stock, and it didn’t get nearly as good mileage.

Both averaged 14-16mpg around home, though. I was always racing friends.