What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Libertard2k6

Reaction score
PCV valve, oil change, and air filter today, tomorrow I’m gonna vacuum the liberty and attempt to change the fluid in the transfer case…anyone have a how to handy on that procedure by the way?

EagleKJ

Lurking member
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
PCV valve, oil change, and air filter today, tomorrow I’m gonna vacuum the liberty and attempt to change the fluid in the transfer case…anyone have a how to handy on that procedure by the way?
Very easy. There is a drain plug and fill plug. Both 10mm Allen wrench. Drain then fill with atf-4. It's like 1.6 quarts or so it takes. Under 2 quarts. I would get a quart bottle pump to pump it in the hole. I just changed mine last weekend.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As said above me, standard procedure on the t-case. Glad eagle knew the sizes for you, I couldn't remember them.

I always break loose the fill plug before the drain, in the event your hex breaks or the plug strips, you still have a t-case with fluid to go buy whatevers further needed to further fix the problem :)

Libertard2k6

Reaction score
As said above me, standard procedure on the t-case. Glad eagle knew the sizes for you, I couldn't remember them.

I always break loose the fill plug before the drain, in the event your hex breaks or the plug strips, you still have a t-case with fluid to go buy whatevers further needed to further fix the problem :)
Ah yea I’ve been there before, once when I was younger and it was one of my first oil changes, I bought the wrong filter, drained the oil and threw the old filter in the dumpster, lo and behold the new filter didn’t fit so I was stuck with a car with no oil lol, I appreciate the advice and the walk through, thankyou so much

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open the fill hole, then open the drain plug. Once it’s empty enough, put the drain plug back in. I use a hand pump that screws right on the oil bottle. It looks like a soap pump. If auto stores don’t have them, look into boating supplies. They’re popular for filling the lower units on the motors.

G33kxican

Reaction score
This should be a great thread that we can keep going. That way we can all keep up with the small day to day tinkering and give some ideas to those looking to do something! Pics are strongly encouraged!!! (Cheers)
Crash it against a barb wire fence while trying to avoid hitting a cow on a curb I'm currently looking for replacement parts.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Well, Last night I did oil and other fluids. I disassembled much of the dash and scrubbed out the desert and tobacco residue. I installed the classy looking seat covers. I retuned the sound system. I polished all the lights and ran various "system checks". Fixed a few minor wiring issues. Haven't had a chance to replace the U-joints or the totally shredded front tires, but it should be fine for around town for just a bit longer.

This morning I removed the "adventure load-out" from Bert. My field season isn't over, but for the first time since the beginning of the century I have a date. (Long story- in short- wifey and I had been planning to split for years, but the she messed up the plan and ran off with her ex out of the blue)

Currently, Bert is at an old buddy's car wash and pro-detailing shop. He has assured me that when his guys are done with it, "...the Virgin Mary herself will want a ride..." He used to make the bug gleam like one of those shiny exotic beetles.

I even warned this gal that Bert is built to work HARD in remote locations, is outfitted to deal with anything that may arise when I'm out solo, yet looks like what I jokingly call "full redneck". I also implied it's slightly safer to take Bert than it is to take the 58 BeelzeBug due to cool options like seat belts, and airbags, and heat. Also, the Jeep runs and the bug is in a state of disassembly after having some welding done to reinforce the pan for the obscene drive train I am putting in it... Bert drives over stuff, "Beazle" will just fly over stuff. I'm not embarrassed of Bert by any means, and this IS Nebraska, but I'm slightly worried her first impressions might be a bit off.

My hope is that this well educated lady of taste also enjoys the irony of a couple of academics (go figure, I got fixed up with a PhD) cruising the town in a suburban assault vehicle. I'll be completely out of my element, but at least I'll have the safety of the Liberty that has got my butt out of (well, and into) some serious scrapes. If anything, this is just another adventure/experiment that has all ready got me back in touch with old friends either pushed away by wifey, or by my former love of the bottle.

ADVENTURE! SCIENCE! THE LIBERATOR!

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had some errands to take care of with the next day or two off, so I wanted to get some fuel system cleaner to throw in the tank. It was buy one get one free for techron, and rustoleum self etching primer was on clearance, things were off to a good start.

Next stop was home depot, good sales on the red flavor battery tools at the moment. The sale I wanted was buy a tool, choose a tool or battery free. Both are in stock so I went to the store, but they informed me that's just an online promotion. I asked if I could order it with them at customer service since the tools, myself, and the money were all already at the store. They said go order it, and choose store pickup and come back and get it :confused:.

I go back home to order (didn't want to fumble on the phone with all this) and only one was eligible for store pickup, the other had to be shipped, and would lose the free shipping to do it that way. So of the tools I want available in stock there, I have to get them shipped. One arrives tomorrow and one arrives Saturday o_O LOL

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had some errands to take care of with the next day or two off, so I wanted to get some fuel system cleaner to throw in the tank. It was buy one get one free for techron, and rustoleum self etching primer was on clearance, things were off to a good start.

Next stop was home depot, good sales on the red flavor battery tools at the moment. The sale I wanted was buy a tool, choose a tool or battery free. Both are in stock so I went to the store, but they informed me that's just an online promotion. I asked if I could order it with them at customer service since the tools, myself, and the money were all already at the store. They said go order it, and choose store pickup and come back and get it :confused:.

I go back home to order (didn't want to fumble on the phone with all this) and only one was eligible for store pickup, the other had to be shipped, and would lose the free shipping to do it that way. So of the tools I want available in stock there, I have to get them shipped. One arrives tomorrow and one arrives Saturday o_O LOL
I tried using a coupon there once that said “online only” in fine print. The manager wouldn’t even come down to the checkouts. I buy my red flavored tools at another store, now.

Reactions: JRB

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of rustoleum, I’ll be doing some rust removal after this winter. I have some bubbles coming through the doors. It won’t be kosher. It may entail spray foam, if it’s bad enough. If not, just fiberglass and bondo. No shame, here.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleaned up the engine and fuel tank skid plates I got from DeadJeep. I will start painting them tomorrow.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
It is kind of odd rolling around in a spotless Bert. My buddy's crew really did make the vehicle interior immaculate. Over the weekend I disassembled much of the dash and cleaned all the filth and stink out of the vents. Lots of dead desert spiders and such in there. only found one hobo spider and two black widows this year- all properly desiccated. The exterior looks great to, if covered with lots of gravel strike and off road damage.
You must be registered for see images attach

Also decided to kill the ex with kindness and took her and her bass ****'s dog hiking as Bert has a free lifetime access pass (a perk for us twitchy vets in NE) to all state lands. I like dogs and hiking that much...

Hooked up Ernie and hauled ten sheets of drywall and a ton of overpriced lumber back to the Fortress of Squalitude. I'm amassing lots of raw materials to remodel the rest of the dump into something both comfortable and pleasing.

Also added a an additional Skar Audio 12" low profile box to the audio system. Took two years to find it as it is a discontinued item. Now there's no foot room in the back seat.

And ye shall know my by the sound of thunder that dopplers by in traffic.

Red Dog 6436

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking the KJ into the local dealership/shop to get the last 2 outstanding recalls taken care of. After 3 weeks they finally got in an airbag and a hitch mount (mixed feelings on that one). Slightly nervous about potentially leaving the KJ over night, will be the longest I've ever gone without it and it is my DD as well as "fun" vehicle.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been slowly disassembling the front end to get the new diff and other parts in. Went ahead and dropped a nut off upper control arm directly into the "frame rail". Why, you might ask? Because things were going too smoothly and I wanted to do something completely aggravating.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Not fun when when loose nutz going MIA !
Just like the windshield plastic cowling pin, lost to the abyss.
At least 1 new $6 dealer part was still available ! ;)

Erskine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beat my PB of 43.5mpg (Imperial gallons) on my commute to work. I was determined to squeak 44, was traveling south with no headwind, a very light 3/4 mph northerly tail wind and to my surprise clocked 47mpg!! This is in a 05 CRD btw.
Also got very frustrated with the absolutely pathetic ground clearance hauling a small load of logs across some fields and snagged a line of electrified sheep wire underneath. I've ordered all new suspension and it can't arrive soon enough.

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 5

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Liberty hit 200,000 miles on my way home from Michigan last weekend!. It is something like 200,450 now, so no point in taking a picture of that!

I was getting about 19 mpg averaging about 74 mph. That’s unregeared running 31’s. On the stock 29’s unlifted I could average 24 mpg on this trip following trucks. But that was like 10 years ago!

CRD’s like in the previous post have a serious mpg advantage.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Drove it to work
Packed up all my stuff and loaded it in the 05
Met my supervisor for lunch, thought he would buy since it was my last day and all, Heck no had to buy his and mine
Went back to work, finished out the day and DONE with that place, onto the next adventure
Drove home drinking a PB milkshake , what a great day in the neighborhood

Latest posts

Members online