What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lite Brite’s tour of the Magnaflow factory in San Diego, CA

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noooooooooooo

Just got a message that the Magnaflow KK cat back kit is out of stock / discontinued and they are refunding my money. Boooooo

Edit: to clarify, I did not order directly from Magnaflow. The kit is out of stock on Magnaflow’s website, and was hoping this other company had one in stock. Apparently not.

Edit: Chatted with MagnaFlow in CA. The KK kit is discontinued. Bummer.

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for a quality cat-back exhaust? FYI, MBRP is for the KJ only. Flowmaster is too loud for me. Options I’m seeing for the KK are Walker (cheapest), Dynomax, BRExhaust, Gibson (priciest). Not interested in a super aggressive sound but want a quality unit that will last.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for a quality cat-back exhaust? FYI, MBRP is for the KJ only. Flowmaster is too loud for me. Options I’m seeing for the KK are Walker (cheapest), Dynomax, BRExhaust, Gibson (priciest). Not interested in a super aggressive sound but want a quality unit that will last.
dynamax will work and not bad sounding
walkers are cheap, cheap, for a reason
Gibsons sound great but are expensive for sure

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
*****, Johnny. Sorry to hear the problem remains.

Maybe the problem is in the wiring. Other end, by the computer? Everything else has been replaced.
Dunno. Stumped. Going to dissemble, clean and dielectric the under hood fuse box. Only thing other than the computer I can think of. Stuck relay maybe.

That doesn’t work going to have a shop look at it. Hate spending that kind of money, but heck, already spent a trip to the shop on parts.

Mshack

Reaction score
Got the old clutch off, what a pain in the tail!!
Really jus cooling off and thinking while typing (all the stuff I wanna do).
So the heavy cooling system is an option? Didn't know. Have the big plastic fan that mounts to the water pump, plus the electric. Don't hear the electric to often so,

gonna replace my temp sensor also, old one is removed and new one ready for install. Think I'll pop in another map sensor while I have the alt off. Be a lil easier while temp sensor is removed.

Wish I had a intake gasket set. I would remove that and clean the inside of the intake. Last person that owned this kj had the old pcv set up and the intake was jus full of oil muck. Been cleaning from the external but that map sensor still gets some gunk in it. Drives me

Also cleaned the front of the engine bay while the front end is disassembled.

Back out to this scorcher of a day and it's only 945am.

Maybe next time I'll purchase a 40yr old jeep instead of 20 yrs old

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger on a new exhaust, and not a moment too soon.
I think I am getting there soon myself. The Jeep is starting to sound like my old Tracker. I'd go down the road and little boys on the sidewalk would start eagerly looking around to see the hot rod, then look confused...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Had a good one today
Local KJ owner stops by and asks me to check for a rattle underneath his KJ in the back
Jack it up and see new muffler and tailpipe
He had asked me a while back what I would charge since he had both, easy job so 50 bucks
Never hear anything else from him ,....mmmmm
WELL, he takes it into a local new shop, that advertises 4x4 repairs etc
Find out they charge 125 to install a muffler and tailpipe and now has a rattle
Took it back and they said they fixed it for,............ONLY oh yes another 20 bucks
2 days later , rattling again
Jacked it up to find plastic wire ties ,....................
Yes they cut the hook off that held the tailpipe on off the old tail pipe
Did not install hook for the new tailpipe into the hanger and of course we had a rattle
Remnant's of 4 plastic wire ties holding the new hook/hanger to what is left of the hold one
So they found rattle, charged him only 20 bucks for 4 wire ties
Tailpipe wasn't hanging right anyways, so I took it apart , got everything where it was to be , no rattle, no wire ties used LOL
No charge , he had already been bent over twice for a simple 15-20 minute job

so folks check over what you pay good money to have someone else do
ya never know

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a thread with a poll in the KK section so we can continue the cat back exhaust conversation. KJ folks are invited too!

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so folks check over what you pay good money to have someone else do
ya never know

This really applies to where I am at in FL, if you don't personally know the shop (sometimes even if you do lol) always check the work!

Mshack

Reaction score
Even tho it was way too hot, the little stuff I did, seems to have helped out on a few issues.

Fan clutch installed, new map sensor, new coolant temp sensor, also replaced the ambient/compass sensor, wrapped wires that were missing the wrap.

So this vibration I would get went away. Figure that was the old clutch. Runs a lil smoother. Electric fan kicks on while idling, didn't do that b4. A/C is blowing much cooler. So all in all, glad I was able to knock that out.

Old man is tired...feel like I ran a full route of mail.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Ugh, sloppy work is bad enough. $20 for zip ties is just wrong.
Bought new tires and ball joints installed on my Ford at a local shop years ago. They skipped the ball joint work, did the alignment, shorted me one new tire, and put the worst tire of the bunch up underneath with zip-ties. Reputable shop with multiple outlets in the area. Got squared away with them and never intend to go back. The zip-tie repair method seems popular. I'd expect to get fired if I did that in a shop.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine isn’t straight either. :( But everything is in spec. Not sure how that works.
You sit the steering wheel straight before you even adjust the toe
Then you adjust to keep the steering wheel straight
OF course most of these blokes do not want to take the time to actually do it right

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sit the steering wheel straight before you even adjust the toe
Then you adjust to keep the steering wheel straight
OF course most of these blokes do not want to take the time to actually do it right
Yeah it was a no-appointment tire shop that did the alignment. On the plus side, it is aligned well except for the crooked steering wheel. :p

runfor5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger on a new exhaust, and not a moment too soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

Oops

This is on the way:

Nice! I considered this one back around ~2017 but went w the Gibson stainless system for about $650 at the time. I sprayed it all (minus the chrome tail pipe of course) w high temp black paint to help w rust. It’s been great no issues ever since then. Hope the Magnaflow treats you just as well!

runfor5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be interested in how you like the headlights. I installed TYC in my 2005 a couple years back and they resulted in a "dark zone" in front of the vehicle although they are supposedly correctly aligned... I don't think I am blinding anyone at night (no one has ever flashed high beams at me) so I don't think they are sitting too high. Changed out the bulbs for higher output models but it still looks like it's too dark out to about 10 ft or so. Maybe a shadow from the headlight housing?
Admittedly I’ve only driven twice at night w them since changing out. First off the front end looks a million times sharper w new housings lol. FYI I swapped out my nice existing Sylvania bulbs for who knows what the pair came w inside them.

As for adjustment, well I’ve played around w it but may ask a shop during annual safety inspection to formally adjust them for me (it’s prbly $20 whatever). I will say the adjusters on my original ones took effort to turn. Idk if that’s cus of age or what (yes 18 year old originals). The TYC adjusters spin so freely it’s weird. Maybe once I get them set to my liking toss a dab of something at the threads so they don’t turn on their own. Install was super easy btw, you just remove the grill.

Latest posts

Members online