What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Not supposed to shear off
I use grade 8 on all of the skids and never torn one off
Yeah, kinda ble.w my mind. I used the hardware that came with the skid. Might have just been a lousy batch of bolts or something. All sorts of quality control issues on stuff these days. Wonder if they got em from Fastenall. Those guys been selling garbage hardware at premium prices for years.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Got all the greaseable hardware lub.Ed up and the ball joint slip dealt with for now. Ordered the right rods to just slap a few tack welds on them. Trusty old JB Weld doing the job for now. Also started cutting steel stock to build the Liberator bumper. Really glad I did a plywood mock up. Makes prepping the steel easy.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not supposed to shear off
I use grade 8 on all of the skids and never torn one off
I had been wondering if upgraded fasteners would be appropriate.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I had been wondering if upgraded fasteners would be appropriate.
The rear bolt heads were the ones I've sheared. Fas direct contact with a solid rock ledge. Figure I caught the heads just right. Likely just one of those things. The front one that sheared proved to be my own dang fault: over torque.

Reactions: klc

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was out on a research trip in the NJ pine barrens today. Was slogging through sugar sand and took my eyes off the road to hit the ESP OFF button to try to make better progress. Immediately rounded a corner to find a washed out section of road! Found it not with my eyes but my b.utt when the Jeep’s left wheels fell into a washed out canyon of road maybe 1.5” deep! Skid plates took the hit. Was in 4x4 and crawled back out onto the other side without missing a beat, right front wheel in the air. Heard “whoa!!!” And “oh sh.it!!!” And “I’m buying one of those next time!” from the vehicle following me. One of the guys later asked me what kind of Jeep I have. No damage, but good story. Love this tough little Jeep.

Some areas I visited today had seen a forest fire recently.
You must be registered for see images attach

These tough little pitch pine trees can regrow their needles or resprout from the root collar after being burned over. They can even have serotinous cones — cones that are normally glued shut by resin that melts during the fire, allowing cones to open to release the seeds after the fire. Pretty sweet set of fire adaptations.

Also, there was a little bit of pine pollen blowing around in the air today.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Was out on a research trip in the NJ pine barrens today. Was slogging through sugar sand and took my eyes off the road to hit the ESP OFF button to try to make better progress. Immediately rounded a corner to find a washed out section of road! Found it not with my eyes but my b.utt when the Jeep’s left wheels fell into a washed out canyon of road maybe 1.5” deep! Skid plates took the hit. Was in 4x4 and crawled back out onto the other side without missing a beat, right front wheel in the air. Heard “whoa!!!” And “oh sh.it!!!” And “I’m buying one of those next time!” from the vehicle following me. One of the guys later asked me what kind of Jeep I have. No damage, but good story. Love this tough little Jeep.

Some areas I visited today had seen a forest fire recently.

These tough little pitch pine trees can regrow their needles or resprout from the root collar after being burned over. They can even have serotinous cones — cones that are normally glued shut by resin that melts during the fire, allowing cones to open to release the seeds after the fire. Pretty sweet set of fire adaptations.

Also, there was a little bit of pine pollen blowing around in the air today.

Glad to see your field season is back! Been worn hunting quite a bit, lots of zebra mussel veligers and cladocerans but as usual, nada Rhynchomesostoma

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Exciting night. Caught a dude trying to get my cats. He “fell” quite a few times on my stonecutters mallet before the cops decided to show up. They found over 50 cats in the back seat of his Honda. Got to dig through and retrieve the wife’s Subaru cat too.

Needless to say, I’m going to weld some extra armor to the skids to protect the cats.

Service connected insomnia and motion lights for the win. I didn’t file charges since he’s gonna walk funny for a very long time.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exciting night. Caught a dude trying to get my cats. He “fell” quite a few times on my stonecutters mallet before the cops decided to show up. They found over 50 cats in the back seat of his Honda. Got to dig through and retrieve the wife’s Subaru cat too.

Needless to say, I’m going to weld some extra armor to the skids to protect the cats.

Service connected insomnia and motion lights for the win. I didn’t file charges since he’s gonna walk funny for a very long time.
Son of a @#*%!!! That’s a shame he had that incident; I mean, Accident along the way.

Mshack

Reaction score
If your mail route is anything like our roads around here , they are notorious for wearing out suspension, tires, everything
Mail route wears everything out 4 sure.
Doesn't matter what you drive. Need the beefiest of parts.
Wears me out also. Roads are rough and lumpy. Country chip seal roads with no actual level to them, pot holes every where. One day....I wanna post a video to the FB page.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Mail route wears everything out 4 sure.
Doesn't matter what you drive. Need the beefiest of parts.
Wears me out also. Roads are rough and lumpy. Country chip seal roads with no actual level to them, pot holes every where. One day....I wanna post a video to the FB page.
I’d kill for tar and chip roads. Out here it’s straight limestone- no oil or nothing. I get back from the corn grid looking like a ghost.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jeep has developed a tapping/rattling sound on the passengers front when hitting potholes & washboards. I recently replaced the upper ball joints and sway bar links. Going to have to check the lower ball joints after this trip (after washing off all the mud). My records say the LBJ’s were last replaced in 2012, when the Jeep had 50,000 miles on it, pre-lift! That’s some pretty good longevity. Greaseable Moogs if I remember correctly.