What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just called over to the Jeep Wreckers. No luck sorry. Hope U find one at the Philly yard.
Unfortunately no. They unbolt the fuel tanks to drain them when a new vehicle comes into the yard, then recycle the gas tank hangers.

I may have to find a “part-out” Jeep on my local Craigslist and go remove it myself.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
figured out where the obnoxious noise was coming from up front.
pulled the right front wheel bearing off, and at first I was like it's not bad. but then I found a "hitchy" spot in the rotation, that went away when i spun it hard. and then I heard and felt it. the harder you spin it, the louder the noise it makes, with it completely unbolted from the knuckle and axle! test spun the brand new timken bearing I have here; no noises. Kid is home at 3pm, so i'm waiting to reassemble then, so I can show him what it feels like when a wheel bearing dies.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found a gas tank hanger at a yard about 30 minutes out of the city! It’s not the skid plate version but it will do for now.

You must be registered for see images attach

There are some dents and creases because it looks like the donor Jeep went over a curb or something. (Actually I think the creases are from the junkyard’s forklift.) But not too much rust!

I spent 30 minutes with some wood scraps and a hammer and did a decent job of pounding out the dents. It won’t rub the tank now. The next step will be to clean it up and paint it.

I also picked up a Mopar fuel pump with only 80,000 miles on it.

It looks like it’s been on a warehouse shelf for a while and has dirt and dust inside.

How do you all suggest I clean that crud out? Will brake cleaner be safe for the seals? Carb cleaner? Throttle body cleaner? WD-40? Isopropyl alcohol? Spitballing here.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Pulled the 03 in the shop today to clean her up a bit, ( not finished in this photo ) and adjusted the DEER lights
Yes I know , still have to replace the fastners on the right side flare that deer tore off , but its not falling off .........yet

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The 03 is looking good Tom!!
THANKS !!
Have two people wanting to buy it , both serious buyers with cash
Thinking about it , plus trading the 05 in on something a little newer
Thinking ahead
But ten years from now will more than likely be driving a KJ LOL

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
THANKS !!
Have two people wanting to buy it , both serious buyers with cash
Thinking about it , plus trading the 05 in on something a little newer
Thinking ahead
But ten years from now will more than likely be driving a KJ LOL
Trading in the 05 on something a little newer… like an 07? LOL ;) I can’t imagine you driving anything but a KJ, and I know you could repair or build one from the wheels up with the knowledge and parts stash you’ve got!:p

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My god-daughter just turned 16 and I’ll be helping teach her to drive soon. My wife and I have been thinking that a KJ Liberty is a safe vehicle for a young driver, and if/when she needs one for school/internships/jobs. I’ll be looking for one probably in a year or so. Low-ish mileage, well cared for, not too expensive…they do exist. I figure I can use a lot of my KK knowledge to keep it running. I’ll have to resist the urge to mod it out too much, LOL.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a gas tank hanger at a yard about 30 minutes out of the city! It’s not the skid plate version but it will do for now.

There are some dents and creases because it looks like the donor Jeep went over a curb or something. (Actually I think the creases are from the junkyard’s forklift.) But not too much rust!

I spent 30 minutes with some wood scraps and a hammer and did a decent job of pounding out the dents. It won’t rub the tank now. The next step will be to clean it up and paint it.

I also picked up a Mopar fuel pump with only 80,000 miles on it.

It looks like it’s been on a warehouse shelf for a while and has dirt and dust inside.

How do you all suggest I clean that crud out? Will brake cleaner be safe for the seals? Carb cleaner? Throttle body cleaner? WD-40? Isopropyl alcohol? Spitballing here.
Use gas with a little bottle like what gear oil comes in.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
SSSHHHHHHHH
it is very quiet here today
people are sleeping or working on their Heeps LOL
I had to install new wiring for trailer lights
this wiring was already installed when I bought the 03 so hard to tell how old it is
But I do know it is cold in the shop today
Happy though to have some time off to catch up on a few things

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got mine ready to tow tomorrow. put the good tires on the trailer, figured out i'm going to have to deal with the wiring on said trailer sooner rather than later it looks like. test run around the block had everything working fine. getting between 8 and 10 IBC totes tomorrow to turn into firewood storage cubes.

Reaction score

Finally got around to assembling my front springs. Took them all the way to a buddy's shop in WV that he works for. They got one of them beefy OTC wall mount compressors, got em together without an issue.

Next is to buy the JBA arms and make the relocation brackets for the rear axle. Its an 07.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Finally got around to assembling my front springs. Took them all the way to a buddy's shop in WV that he works for. They got one of them beefy OTC wall mount compressors, got em together without an issue.

Next is to buy the JBA arms and make the relocation brackets for the rear axle. Its an 07.
You're doing it right !!
3 minute job making a drop down bracket for the rear brake lines
Where in WVa did you have to go, anywhere near me ?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a jeep, but put an auxiliary transmission cooler on my Nissan Juke. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal until you realize the entire bumper, one wheel, fender liner, battery, battery support, computer, and relay box all have to be removed. These things were not intended to be worked on. I was really happy i had a 3 foot1/4 inch extension and wobble. Really made me appreciate how much easier the Jeep is to work on. Oh yeah found th leak in my radiator, driverside bottom where plastic meets aluminum, gave the tabs a squeeze (don't expect that to last, also trimmed the shroud. Made me realize you guys without HD cooling got it easy for serp belt replacement and other access.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the cold start cold weather misfires are back. Shut off. Wait. Start up. Gone.
Seriously nothing about this Chrysler / Jeep product makes sense.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You could have saved yourself a trip:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

(Don't try this at home, kids. Or anywhere else.)

Latest posts

Members online