What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
I’d figure out where the starter solenoid was and jump it with a screwdriver first. I’m not home, so I can’t go look at mine to look where it is.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove to and from work. On my way back, the engine started stuttering at speed. Low rpm was worse than high. I stopped at a gas station and put a bottle of heet in the tank. It seemed to smooth out a bit on the rest of the drive. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
I’d figure out where the starter solenoid was and jump it with a screwdriver first. I’m not home, so I can’t go look at mine to look where it is.

****** rider,

Did some more trouble shooting:

Battery voltage 12.89
Starter relay fuse 15amp is good
Starter relay is good, swapped it with wiper on/off relay
Starter and solenoid are good, bypassed starter relay with a jumper cable
SKIM module is good, no key light on dash
Ignition switch is good, Liberty starts and runs when you turn it
Ignition switch actuator pin is in pieces and does not connect the lock cylinder to ignition switch

You must be registered for see images attach

This one is actually out of my parts Jeep but it doesn't look much different than the one in my Liberty.

Now that I figured it out I have to figure out if I want to replace it or bypass it.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove to work and back again yesterday. Same deal. It ran perfectly on the way up there, then ran questionably coming back, getting progressively worse. The scanner says something’s going on with the #1 coil pack circuit.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
I drove to work and back again yesterday. Same deal. It ran perfectly on the way up there, then ran questionably coming back, getting progressively worse. The scanner says something’s going on with the #1 coil pack circuit.

CherokeeLiberty,

Check your oil level, check your air filter

03GoingStrong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warmed up today and I washed the Jeep. Just the paint. Didn't think the wheels and tires were too bad until I looked at this photo D'OH !
Bought new in '03. Jeep has never been garaged or waxed. Never been through a car wash with harsh chemicals either. Hand wash only and I can't remember the last time I used anything other than just plain 'O clean faucet water. Clear coat still good and shines. Paint perfect? ... no, but I'm not ashamed to be seen driving this 18yr old Jeep either.

Slugger103

Reaction score
Started taking apart the front end to replace the suspension both sides...then realized I needed to order a couple more parts. No biggie - it's sitting in the garage nice & dry until the parts get here next week. In the meantime, I changed the A/C compressor (that was making a horrible grinding noise A/C on or off). That battery-powered Kobalt impact wrench was the best investment so far to fight 16+ years of rusted bolts (and a little penetrating oil!).

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the passenger side CV and intermediate shaft changed in the 07 after work today. I got the Napa remanufactured CV and crown intermediate shaft from Summit Racing. Hope that takes care of the random vibration in the front.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember the early Toyota pickups running around fine being a rusty sketch of their former selves.
I've had my share of those, the '80 and '88 were my worst ones until I got my '95 tacoma last year with a wide open hole the length of the wheel well. Found a plastic drop in bed liner cheap and now it's out of sight out of mind for now, I'll fix it later this year.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Ignition switch actuator pin problem solved forever!

And SKIM somehow bypassed????

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BTW, that's a custom made screwdriver that precisely fits into the ignition switch module to start the truck.

Enjoy and stay tuned for more shenanigans!

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discovered the washer fluid was frozen. Checked the bottle in the garage; It's slushy- Doesn't have a rating on it.
Guess I should have looked closer when I bought it. But it begs the question, why even sell this in Wisconsin at all???:confused:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Took the fender flares off, to restore them to factory color and make them all the same non sun faded color.

Rear door fender flares and bumpers will be next!

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed my windshield washer fluid is frozen as well. As far as I can tell, it has not broken the plastic box. I have never used that stuff in my life (71 years). I did notice at Walmart, ww fluid WINTER FORMULA.

So I guess the deal is, that, in this climate, also Minnesota, you gotta change the windshield washer fluid for winter.
dc

GenesLiberty

Reaction score
Tried to figure out if I could find the problem with the heater. Removed the easy panels told it to work better and put panels back on. Didn’t fix the problem

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ignition switch actuator pin problem solved forever!

And SKIM somehow bypassed????

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BTW, that's a custom made screwdriver that precisely fits into the ignition switch module to start the truck.

Enjoy and stay tuned for more shenanigans!

NO the SKIM is not somehow bypassed!
The video clearly shows that the key was inserted into its normal slot to enable SKIM.;)

This is not new....there have been several posts...some by myself...to remove the Ignition Switch and if there is rubbish falling down then the Actuator Pin Assembly needs replacing.

To drive the Jeep until a new Pin Assembly is obtained you put the ignition key in its normal position to enable SKIM and rotate it to unlock the steering.

Then use a small screwdriver to rotate the ignition switch and you can drive off.:)

This video is an ugly fix and removing the mechanism that locks the steering makes the Jeep easier to steal....will not start without the key in place but Jeep could be towed away!:(

Latest posts

Members online