What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If I took the carpet out of the XJ I'd be able stop with my feet. :blah::happy175:

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice yak!! Sit-in or sit-on?
SOT but the seat is removed when carried ! I built a DIY rear load bar from PVC pipe and a piece of larger ABS pipe and I use the spare tire to load it on the roof as well !

Some teaser pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOT but the seat is removed when carried ! I built a DIY rear load bar from PVC pipe and a piece of larger ABS pipe and I use the spare tire to load it on the roof as well !

Some teaser pics:

Nice Smallie!!! :waytogo:

Really like your 'yak too - very well set up.

Bob

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the sway bar links for some moogs.
I've had a persistent clunk noise coming from the front left whenever I go over bumps. The noise ls less now, but it's still there. I wonder if my sway bar is slightly bent as the end link was very difficult to get flush with the bar?

Also, does the renegade model come with a larger sway bar? I bought new Moog sway bar bushings but they were toosmall. The part was the correct fit for the Jeep Liberty, but when I pulled the old bushing out it had 32mm on it. The Moog replacement was 30.5mm. Is this unusual?
https://imgur.com/gallery/RyoC5

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All KJs have the same sway bar...that gap should go away once you torque it down. 110 ft/lbs. Have you checked UCA bushings? LCA bushings? What happens when you hit the brakes at low speed? If that makes it clunk, probably LCA bushings.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All KJs have the same sway bar...that gap should go away once you torque it down. 110 ft/lbs. Have you checked UCA bushings? LCA bushings? What happens when you hit the brakes at low speed? If that makes it clunk, probably LCA bushings.
I have the same clunk and replaced lca bushings, lca/strut bushings, sway Bar bushings, sway Bar end links, lbj, and jba uca. All moog PS parts.

My end links were hard to get on flush too, I prob just need extended/adjustable quick disconnect links.

I did torque the endlinks with no weight on them so maybe that's the issue.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the sway bar links for some moogs.
I've had a persistent clunk noise coming from the front left whenever I go over bumps. The noise ls less now, but it's still there. I wonder if my sway bar is slightly bent as the end link was very difficult to get flush with the bar?

Also, does the renegade model come with a larger sway bar? I bought new Moog sway bar bushings but they were toosmall. The part was the correct fit for the Jeep Liberty, but when I pulled the old bushing out it had 32mm on it. The Moog replacement was 30.5mm. Is this unusual?
https://imgur.com/gallery/RyoC5

had the same thing, the upper bolt needed re torqued

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the same clunk and replaced lca bushings, lca/strut bushings, sway Bar bushings, sway Bar end links, lbj, and jba uca. All moog PS parts.

My end links were hard to get on flush too, I prob just need extended/adjustable quick disconnect links.

I did torque the endlinks with no weight on them so maybe that's the issue.

Never had any issues on mine at over 4.5 inches, just have to get them on correctly and tightened down good

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yes with full weight like he said
I never install the bolts even until tires are on , bounced on it a few times. Then install bolts and tighten down

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it up to the really big beer store and swapped out the keg, plus got a few other goodies.

Brought it home and put the keg where it belongs. I cleaned everything before we left.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Today:

• Changed oil. This is the 14th oil change since I bought it with 42,250 miles. I am at 84,226 miles now.
  • Rotated tires. First rotation for my new (in January) General Grabber AT2s. 3,147 miles on them so far.
  • Touched up the Plasti Dip on the rims. I neglected to trim the areas around the lugs when it was first applied and some of it had "caught" on a few of the lug nuts and peeled it. I also had to touch up the new weights from balancing when I got my new tires four months ago. The Plasti Dip has been on there for nearly three years and is otherwise holding up quite well.

I also passed the four year anniversary of its purchase back on May 11, 2013. I have another big milestone coming up soon. Those of you who are good at math can probably figure it out. ;)

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went and redid the sway bar links and sway bar bushings. Got the bushings on ok and as mentioned, that gap closed up nicely with the right torque under weight. The links are nice and flush, too, torqued to spec under weight.

HOWEVER....as I was doing this job, I noticed the upper control arm ball joint boot was torn. I checked the other side and it too is torn. This was likely my clunking problem all along. Theyre torn at the rear of the boot so I guess that's why I didn't see it at last inspection.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hB93B

So now I need new control arms. Is this a difficult job? Could I do it myself or do I need to take it to a garage? Id rather do it myself if possible as mechanics in Oz (especially where I live) charge like a wounded bull. Any special tools required? Cheers

Edit; what control arms should I get? I have a lift. Would these be suitable: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4201893&cc=1430900&jsn=417&jsn=417

Last edited: