What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I just pulled one of the KJ's spark plugs.
Perfect burn condition, new gap originally was .040 and after 12k miles is now at .045.
Any opinions on how the slightly larger gap may effect performance?

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walked back and forth from the back of the Libby to daughters Grand Cherokee fetching tools. Was replacing the brakes on the GC before I get it inspected. Still had the original Mopar disks on it. No wonder the breaks felt spongy. Still have one to go and it is taking forever. One lug nut on the front refuses to budge. At this point it is getting stripped. I have tried two different lug wrenches, an impact gun and a breaker bar, plus have tried heating it. Oh and it has been drown in PB Breaker. Any suggestions I am open to them. I have never taken 3 days to do brakes on a car. Tomorrow starts day four. Grrrrrrr!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed my oil filler baffle and checked the oil, it's spot on and still looking good. Of course, it's only been in there about a thousand miles, so... not sure what I was expecting. I can see why the baffle was missing, it's kind of a pain in the butt to get out once it's down in there.

Also, pulled off the rear hatch cover (again) and replaced the latch mechanism. Wish I'd noticed it was bad when I replaced the microswitch for the rear glass a few weeks back. Oh well. Now my Jeep locks again! :gr_grin:

Noticed a small, 6" diameter, fluid mark on the ground. Right under the transmission. Looks like it's leaking, again. Guess I'll have to run it back up to the dealer, since it's been only about a month since they changed the filter. Or, maybe I'll just buy one of those aftermarket deep pans and put it on there. Hm. That's tempting.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it for the first time since Wednesday morning. Still sitting in the driveway after returning from a brief vacation to balmy Albany NY. Nice coating of snow up there this morning and temp of about 16 F. At least the sun was nice today after days of rain. Hoping it will be warm enough to drive it this week (still haven't fixed the blend door actuator).

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Noticed a small, 6" diameter, fluid mark on the ground. Right under the transmission. Looks like it's leaking, again. Guess I'll have to run it back up to the dealer, since it's been only about a month since they changed the filter. Or, maybe I'll just buy one of those aftermarket deep pans and put it on there. Hm. That's tempting.
Ya I had a heck of a time with the stamped steel transmission pan leaking.
Even though we put it on a bench and it looked level, I still think it was somehow bent. On the second attempt at removal & gooping it, it seemed to hold well for about 3 months and then it started leaking again.
Had enough of this non sense & ordered from PML the 42RLE aluminum1.5 quart over stock pan with drain plug.
Also no more goop, used a Lube Locker 42RLE gasket and no more leaks now years later. :waytogo:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I eliminated the trans pan leaking issues from day one...

I bought a stick shift. :D

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got it back friday...
new transmission solenoid assembly
new transmission filter and fluid
new transfer case fluid
new front and rear differential fluid
new passenger brake caliper... old one was dragging, wore new pad down to the plate.
new front brake hoses
new front upper ball joint

after driving a ford fusion rental i come to re appreciate the lift

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 Sport
Passed Bi-annual inspection
New adaptive one pads and premium rotors all around and adjust p-brake
5 wheel rotation
Alignment

Gyro

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removed seat covers since mine was torn, break away fabric for side airbags tore last month. Gave it a good healthy drive today as well.

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the transfer case position sensor today and now the stupid part time is on all the time.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sensor needs adjustment.
there's something on here about how to.

edit: did you install the o-ring on it? assuming it didn't have a new one already?

based on some pictures I found, lacking the o-ring could cause the sensor to thread in too far, pushing the contact from 2WD to 4WD Part Time.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-change-transfer-case-position-switch-44188/

see that thread, specifically post #12. note the "wear" marks on the contact pads in the 4th picture. wouldn't take much travel for the button to push the contacts into 4PT.

Last edited:

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply SOTA. I will check it again tomorrow. I put a new o ring on it. I am trying to reason this out. In 2wd the light is on, in 4hi it is off, in n it is of and in 4lo it is on. Just wondering if I don't have it in enough or if it is two much. The old o-ring seemed pretty crushed compared to the new on I installed.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hot tip, boys and girls: double-check your work. I feel like a complete moron right now.

decided to try again and hunt down the KLUNK I've been hearing from the right front. determined that although the upper control arm rear bolt was tight, it wasn't tight enough, as I could move the arm around and hear it bang against things. solved that one easily enough. then I decided to just examine everything else, because I might as well as I have the tire off. discovered, the lower caliper bolt was GONE and the top was LOOSE. I must have forgotten to torque them down when I did the brakes many months ago. :(

$10 later at NAPA and I had new bolts. also the klunk is gone.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hot tip, boys and girls: double-check your work. I feel like a complete moron right now.

decided to try again and hunt down the KLUNK I've been hearing from the right front. determined that although the upper control arm rear bolt was tight, it wasn't tight enough, as I could move the arm around and hear it bang against things. solved that one easily enough. then I decided to just examine everything else, because I might as well as I have the tire off. discovered, the lower caliper bolt was GONE and the top was LOOSE. I must have forgotten to torque them down when I did the brakes many months ago. :(

$10 later at NAPA and I had new bolts. also the klunk is gone.

scary stuff. That could have gone bad quick.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Besides torquing -Let some thread locker be your friend as well.:party52:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Did a hillbilly flush of my Power Steering fluid. I guess I was still thinking about the gear oil job I did last week because I laid into that little hand pump with all my might. Trouble is, ATF +4 is much, much lighter and the first spurt sprayed out the hose and all over the driveway like an angry tomcat letting loose a cloud of cat piss. My little pan might have caught a drop or two of it, but everything around it looked like a blood-red crime scene. I'm glad I bought the 25-pack of shop towels. :gr_grin:

Anyway, drove it around afterward and it sounds good and steers well. One more to cross off of my list. :)

Staff online

Members online