What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine isn't very heavy. Maybe 1500 lbs. It is a 16 ft Shasta aluminum with a 30 Hp Yamaha outboard, 2 batteries and and a trolling motor. It is outfitted for bass, trout, salmon and rock fishing. Does about 30 mph with me and my wife in it.

It is just that my Toyota wouldn't pull it at 55 up a hill, even with a running start. When the Jeep did it so fast and would have gone faster if I wanted to, I was really impressed.

cool, should be no problem with that.

With my bigger tires i'm doing 90 max (yes those are km. and 3rd gear od locked out.
cardhu-albums-smokercraft-171-pro-angler-picture4425-100000.jpg

while towing this.
cardhu-albums-smokercraft-171-pro-angler-picture4998-jeepboatr1.jpg

wtb, gears

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the T-case fluid, installed a hd cooling fan (Thanks to twobobs) then gave her a bath.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the T-case fluid, installed a hd cooling fan (Thanks to twobobs) then gave her a bath.

Did you notice that nice roar of the airflow coming off the mechanical fan when you first fired it up? Sounds like an 18 wheeler, right? :smokin:

Bob

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool, should be no problem with that.

With my bigger tires i'm doing 90 max (yes those are km. and 3rd gear od locked out.
cardhu-albums-smokercraft-171-pro-angler-picture4425-100000.jpg

while towing this.
cardhu-albums-smokercraft-171-pro-angler-picture4998-jeepboatr1.jpg

wtb, gears

Yes, your boat weighs more than mine. Nice setup you got there. Those smokercraft boats are built well. I'll try to geta pic of mine up here soon.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a blinker fluid flush both front and rear... Can really tell a difference in the blinker response, needed to be done!
:Moon: :Hump:

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a blinker fluid flush both front and rear... Can really tell a difference in the blinker response, needed to be done!

:Moon: :Hump:

Did you remember to remove the winter blend air and replace with summer blend air in tires too. If not you could run the risk of unenjoyable summer driving experiences .

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got rear brake replaced, and bought some ATF+4 and 80W-90 to do the T-case and diff as soon as I have time...so maybe in 2 week...

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started tearing the Jeep apart today. Got the rear drive shaft out, got it up on jack stands, wheels off and all the brakes disconnected. I'll go back tomorrow and finish up. Just gotta pull the shocks and springs, and disconnect the LCAs and I'll have the axle out. Didn't have as much time to work on it as I hoped I would today, but it won't take very long to finish up.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started tearing the Jeep apart today. Got the rear drive shaft out, got it up on jack stands, wheels off and all the brakes disconnected. I'll go back tomorrow and finish up. Just gotta pull the shocks and springs, and disconnect the LCAs and I'll have the axle out. Didn't have as much time to work on it as I hoped I would today, but it won't take very long to finish up.

Sorry, Snail, I'm late to your party. What are you doing to your KJ?

Bob

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Snail, I'm late to your party. What are you doing to your KJ?

Bob

A couple of months ago, I was driving down the road and the boomerang mount on the diff snapped in two.

You must be registered for see images attach

I live in an apartment building, so I can't do any major work on it here. So I talked to the storage shed owners in town here, and they said they don't mind if I work on my Jeep in one of their units, but it took this long for one to come available that the Jeep would fit in. I got the Jeep in the shed a couple of days ago, and like I said just started tearing it apart yesterday.

The bolts for the mount broke off in the differential, and I don't want to reuse the same boomerang system, so I bought this bracket and was going to build a truss to weld onto the axle.

However recently I was searching for something online that wasn't Jeep related at all, and I found a 4 link truss available that's already built and welded, so I'm going to buy that to save myself some time.

You must be registered for see images

I'm building custom control arm mounts to mount control arms to the frame rails, and I'm still not set on one brand, but I'm leaning more towards control arms from metal cloak, something like this:

You must be registered for see images

While I have everything ripped apart, I'm going to put all new brakes on, put new U joints in the drive shaft (only one was bad surprisingly), and replace the pinion seal in the diff. And of course I'll take more pictures as I go.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of months ago, I was driving down the road and the boomerang mount on the diff snapped in two...And of course I'll take more pictures as I go.

What a well thought-out project!

Can't wait to see the pics and progress - and how it drives afterward :waytogo:

Bob

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was payday and I couldn't wait any longer, I had the Destinations put on and the KJ looks BETTER. The ride is quieter and smoother, I also noticed the KJ is steadier when driving. Also couple weeks ago put on my Firestone Badge.

When I was first thinking of buying it and it had the ugly Goodyears on.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished pulling the axle today, and you can see from the pics how the bolts were broken in the diff. From the looks of it being how rusty they are, they were probably broken for awhile before the mount actually broke. Kind of odd that it wasn't making any noises and didn't drive any differently.

And of course my kids wanted to get in the picture.

Rhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the gear oil in both diffs. The rear diff cover looked a lil rough , so I sanded it down and painted. Also painted the wheels matte black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Drove 400 miles to visit my parents in Virginia and turned over 50,000 miles on the odometer along the way. The Jeep is just about broken in now - time to open 'er up and see what she can really do.

:signs6:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used it to pull our 16' Glastron out of the holes it made in the ground during our monsoons this spring.

Couldn't get the ball off the drawbar to turn the bar over, even with a 24" breaker bar and additional 24" pipe hanging off the end (rest of the pipe was over the full length of the bar), so I had to take off the spare. Will get a new bar and 1-7/8" ball just for the Jeep (my Bravada and Astro both need a 3" rise on the ball for stuff to be level but the Jeep's hitch is higher).

Pulled that Glastron like nothing was back there - I actually had to check to make sure the hubby had hooked it up!

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove 400 miles to visit my parents in Virginia and turned over 50,000 miles on the odometer along the way. The Jeep is just about broken in now - time to open 'er up and see what she can really do.

:signs6:

Nice! You still got a lot of life left in her! :happy107: