What did you do to your jeep today?

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by TheQ, Feb 13, 2012.

1. cplchris

cplchris Full Access Member

BNIB heater core and lines, a set of moog bushings for the lower control arms, rusty's gas tank skid, 5 MOABS powdercoated black with a set of yokohama geolander at g015 tires on them, less than 10k miles on the tires. Floor liners, a set of factory crossbars for the renegade tupperware, a roof basket i made out of emt, seat covers. A rear cargo platform i made out of birch plywood and wrapped in carpet. And ARB rear diff cover with the lube locker gasket still in good shape, (use the gasket at your own risk), Thats all i can think of now.

2. cplchris

Finished pulling everything i want out of it, trading it in a 2pm today, its almost bittersweet but long overdue that i get rid of it. Confirmed my suspicion that the dealership botched the acle work when i pulled the diff cover on the rear axle. The gear are wearing bad on the heel. Take it from me folks, make sure the shop doing the work is competent and well versed in whatever they are touching on your jeep. I made the mistake of assuming the dealer didn't suck, I was wrong.

3. yellocoyote

yellocoyote Administrator

Took it in for hail damage estimate. Minimum of $5000 worth of repairs, potentially a couple grand more if they have to replace the roof too.
    It heads into the shop next Monday.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Member Staff Member Administrator

That sucks! Insurance covering it? Got any pics of the damage?

5. yellocoyote

Yep. Covered up to the value of the vehicle... which nobody thinks the repair cost will get THAT high, thankfully.

Given the color of the vehicle (dark blue), damage is hard to see. I posted a video to FB the other day where I tried to show... but even on that, it's hard to see it all.
    The video is here: https://www.facebook.com/yellocoyote/videos/pcb.10162100202420052/10162100185400052/?type=3&theater

The hail also took out my right front marker light assembly, and cracked the upper 3rd tail light.
    Here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10162100184970052
    And here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10162100185300052

It was eastern Colorado. The hail was reported as ping-pong to golf ball sized. We were in the middle of nowhere, on I-76... where there was nowhere to exit, and no overpasses. It was a bad situation. We're really surprised it didn't take out my windshield.
    I've never been in a military gun-fire situation, but it's the only thing I could think to compare it too. I don't recommend it. :confused:o_O

6. profdlp

profdlp Grouchy Old Cuss

Ah, that'll buff right out... or not ... :eek:

nohitter64 likes this.
  7. yellocoyote

:p I wish!

8. sota

sota Full Access Member

leave it in the blazing sun. it'll pop right out. :D

Or at least that's what happened to my parent's Pinto one year. You could stand next to the car and hear the dents popping out as the sun beat down on the roof.

yellocoyote likes this.
  9. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

That must have been one scary situation, not knowing if the windshield was going to crack next..
    Sure brings a whole new meaning to "No Dent No Story" Eeeek !!
    Any idea how long the repairs are going to take?

10. yellocoyote

They're saying 4 days, but that's IF they don't replace the roof. They plan to replace the hood, but I'm guessing they'll have the new one on hand ahead of time and ready to go. Everything else is painless dent repair labor. And light assemblies.

LibertyTC likes this.
  11. cplchris

traded it in for the taco, thanks to everyone here for all the help and info over the years. I will probably drop in from time to time but my jeepin days are over for now.

12. sota

sota Full Access Member

I just read your sig, and now I weep.
    I coulda used those diffs :(

you mind posting up where you traded it and for how much?
    I might have to hunt for it now.

13. cplchris

lia toyota in colonie, NY , full disclosure, the dealership that installed the gears botched the job. the truetracs are still good i am sure but the gears may be a little iffy. when i pulled my diff cover there the wear on the ring gear looked ike the pinion was too deep. and it had a whine like the pinion bearing might be on its way out. motor and transmission were solid though. on paper they gave me 2,100 for it. sorry man i just didn't want to sell it to someone and have something fail on it shortly thereafter.

turblediesel and Aceofspades like this.
  14. CherokeeLiberty

CherokeeLiberty Full Access Member

I started teaching my girlfriend how to drive stick today. The jeep got a workout..

15. Royy

Royy Full Access Member

Replaced the radiator, and reconnected all the windshield washer fluid tubes that they forgot to reconnect when I got my windshield replaced last week.

16. Birdman330

Birdman330 Full Access Member

Finally got my new plates. [​IMG]

Aceofspades likes this.
  17. GitEmSteveDave

GitEmSteveDave Full Access Member

Picked her up from the mechanics with her new engine. So far she's running pretty well, but I do keep on getting a pending 02 heater circuit code. If it keeps up, I'll bring it back to see if theres a loose wire.

Anyone in NJ need a 3.7 engine w/no compression in cylinder 6? Only 135k on her. Must pick up.

LibertyTC likes this.
  18. profdlp

profdlp Grouchy Old Cuss

Got a large evap leak code to go with my very small evap leak code. Collect the whole set!

On the other hand, why fight it?...

[​IMG]

19. sota

sota Full Access Member

you tempt me, sir.

20. oblivionnewtonjohn

oblivionnewtonjohn Full Access Member

dropped the KJ off at the dealer to have the TCU flashed, and low and behold, for the first time in my ownership, she would not start in the service bay after check in. Lights, electrics seemingly worked, they tried a booster, she wouldn't make a peep. So we'll see..... Hopefully it's minor, they're apparently friends of Rocket City Wranglers, have a good reputation. Worst case, they give me a punch list, I tow her home to fix myself.