What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If you step on gas and it wonders a bit r or left at hwy spreed = rear LCA bushings.
Rack bushing test by having someone turn wheel 1/2 turn and back and forth, while you visibly look under hood at at bushings /rack for movement.
My bushings were completely..
59972[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

59974[/ATTACH]"]

And suffered upward & sideways movement.

Attachments

• v7k8Vy7.jpg
    v7k8Vy7.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ANqPo0k.jpg
    ANqPo0k.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 0

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The rack could be the issue. There's a how to on doing a band-aid fix on it with rubber washers.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it doesn't wander only one way. it just kinda lazily goes one way, you correct, then a couple seconds later it'll go the other way, you correct, repeat ad nauseum (emphasis on the nausea bit for the wife and mom it seems, sometimes.) I thought at first maybe itwas road crowning and the width of the tires (245/70R16) being slightly oversized, combined with the track of the jeep, but it does it on the stock 225 tires as well. it also seems to do it slightly more when there's weight in the back, I guess meaning the nose is riding slightly higher and changing the alignment just a hair.

I'll try and make time to get under the hood and pry on the rack mounts and see if there's any deflection.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you step on gas and it wonders a bit r or left at hwy spreed = rear LCA bushings.
Rack bushing test by having someone turn wheel 1/2 turn and back and forth, while you visibly look under hood at at bushings /rack for movement.
My bushings were completely..
59976[/ATTACH]"]

59978[/ATTACH]"]

And suffered upward & sideways movement.

That looks awfully familiar.... I guess those bushings are next on my to-do list
I only get the braking pull to left - more noticeable at higher speeds. Brakes are New up front too...

Attachments

• v7k8Vy7.jpg
    v7k8Vy7.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ANqPo0k.jpg
    ANqPo0k.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 0

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
it doesn't wander only one way. it just kinda lazily goes one way, you correct, then a couple seconds later it'll go the other way, you correct, repeat ad nauseum (emphasis on the nausea bit for the wife and mom it seems, sometimes.) I thought at first maybe itwas road crowning and the width of the tires (245/70R16) being slightly oversized, combined with the track of the jeep, but it does it on the stock 225 tires as well. it also seems to do it slightly more when there's weight in the back, I guess meaning the nose is riding slightly higher and changing the alignment just a hair.

I'll try and make time to get under the hood and pry on the rack mounts and see if there's any deflection.

If you wanna just fire up the parts cannon, I'd fire a new rack at it. Made such a huge difference in mine. :gr_grin:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sounds like the steering rack. I have the same symptoms. Along with lots of clunking since mine are VERY shot.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not to be a negative nelly, but I don't see replacing bushings in an old rack. When I got my old one out, both bushings where seized in pretty good and I don't see anyway I could've replaced them with the rack out of the Jeep even, let alone with it still in the Jeep.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
y'all are making my head hurt.
which end of this donkey is being wonky?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sota, just by the description of wander in both directions, time 4 a new rack & pinion.
TwoBob's used a reman from Detroit axle Link: Any advice on replacing steering rack bushings? - JeepForum.com
I have had to do my bushings 3 times now, mainly the driver's side cause of oil spills getting on that bushing.
I now use gorilla tape covering the top of driver's bushing, before oil filter removals.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've started putting a plastic bag over mine and putting a gallon zip lock bag around the filter before taking it off, helps a lot.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was surpsingly easy to replace.
You must be registered for see images

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
After starting this project a year ago, I finally got my offroad lights mounted. There are two work lights on the rear of the roof rack, too. All ready, except for getting the wiring inside and hooked up. Everything on the outside end is complete, save for adjusting them once they are working.

I still need to get the wires inside the passenger compartment.

Full story here: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f293/debating-offroading-lighting-idea-60401/

My next project will be to boil a three-minute egg, a process I anticipate will require several weeks.