What did you do to your jeep today?

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by TheQ, Feb 13, 2012.

1. tjkj2002

tjkj2002 Full Access Member

Gotta say not a fan because my tail lights can be seen in my rear side mirrors so I can see if a brake light or turn signal is out while driving.

2. dude1116

dude1116 Full Access Member

The OEM housings were never good for that. The Euro style are.

3. tjkj2002

tjkj2002 Full Access Member

I have the euro style tail lights.

4. dude1116

dude1116 Full Access Member

My point exactly.

5. Tog

Tog Full Access Member

My brake lights have gone out a few times never noticed it in mirrors. Vehicle is a workhorse and almost never on the road after dark.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

6. Adam Roby

Adam Roby Full Access Member

Quick rant... photo bucket has gotten insane with the ads lately, you can barely navigate without 3-4 popups with different ads or videos blocking your way... I need to find a new free service.

The trailer light converter blew on me, noticed last weekend. I have a slew of things in my basket on eTrailer, planning on installing a brake controller with all the bells and whistles, but now I need to borrow a friend's trailer tomorrow so I needed a new converter tonight. Hate when necessity takes over and you get stuck paying more for less...

I wanted to do it quick and dirty for now, will "reinstall" when I get the controller in. Since the old converter was mounted to the bumper, I decided to just cut it off there and solder the new to the old. That saves me from probing and splicing the original wires, and keeps the new wires are their original length to be trimmed when I do the full install later on.

Old converter

[​IMG]

Splicing...

[​IMG]

New converter

[​IMG]

Tested it... works well...

Didn't know what this converter actually did before I played with it. All it really is, is an XOR (for anyone that knows electronics or programming). Realistically I can build my own with 5 transistors and a few biasing resistors. Almost tempted to try... meh, maybe the next time it blows.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  7. krisP

krisP Full Access Member

just google ad block plus....no more ads anywhere

8. Adam Roby

The last time I downloaded an ad blocker, I got ransom ware and lost everything on my hard drive. I'll keep the annoying ads...

9. uss2defiant

uss2defiant Full Access Member

what browser do you use?

i use postimage for my pictures.

10. Leeann

Leeann Full Access Member

I've been using adblock plus for, well, at least 5 years. No problems at all on my Macs or my work PCs.

What adblocker did you install?

11. GunnerSchenck

GunnerSchenck Full Access Member

What did I do with my jeep today?
    Well I used my KJ to take my girlfriends, now ex's, stuff to her. A trip well worth making.
    The jeep is officially the best investment I've ever made. It outlasts everything.
    Used it 4 years ago to pick her up for the first time, spend hours stranded at 2am in a January winter in Pennsylvania with her, lost a whole wheel assembly off it with her in it, went in 2 ditches with her in it, rear ended someone with her in it, drove over a tree with her in it, hit deer, blew a radiator, locked up brakes..
    Yet the Jeep outlasts it all my friends. Invest wisely in the things in life that will truly last, so my best advise.
    Buy another jeep!

12. profdlp

profdlp Grouchy Old Cuss

I mounted mine behind one of the taillights. Keeps it out of the weather. Just a suggestion.

If you use a major browser just make sure you install the add-on from the official site, not one of those "we have a bajillion utilities" sites or from {shudder} one of those one-click fix-it places. :)

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Full Access Member

Wow, I appreciate you trying! I wasn't sure how they were fastened but ours was missing when we bought it (looks like someone had replaced the window regulator on that door). Maybe I'll find a full panel in good shape somewhere locally or a damaged panel that I can get cheap and destroy, but there don't appear to be too many around here in the wrecking yards.

I hope you were able to get the parts you needed!

Scott

14. Royy

Royy Full Access Member

With a very sharp utility knife you might be able to remove enough of the glue to get the trim piece out without breaking it in the process. I just didn't have the right tools for it with me.

I did indeed get everything I needed :)

15. jharrisliberty

jharrisliberty Full Access Member

Headed to the junk yard today. Found one here in the Denver area that has 10+ kj's in their yard. They have at least one of each year from 02-07. Should be fun looking through these even though I only need some rear isolators. :gr_grin:

16. rockdart

rockdart Full Access Member

U-Pull on 66th or the one in Aurora? I need some rear seat head cushions- didn't have 'em when I bought it.

17. Adam Roby

Currently using Chrome, IE was taking eating up the CPU usage for some reason.
    I'll check out postimage, thanks.

It was a few years ago now, but I think I had downloaded it from Source Forge which is usually virus free, at least with everything else I have downloaded.

Yeah this new module I used a self tapping screw and mounted it just under the tail light and then tied up all the loose wire. For now I just made the connector long enough to not touch the pavement in case it comes loose, and I tucked it into the rear frame piece (cross member?). Once I go back I will mount a 7/4 pin connector to the bumper.

18. uss2defiant

uss2defiant Full Access Member

19. Royy

Royy Full Access Member

Try Littleton U-Pull, or the U-Pull-And-Pay in Colo Springs. They both usually have 8+ KJ's in stock. The other places around Denver, you're lucky if they have 2 or 3.

20. CzarKJ

CzarKJ Full Access Member

Used it as a mobile tool box to build a trail sign out of spare wood for a nearby non-profit.[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk