What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a 12 ton press and a sawzall. Pressed out my front lca bushings (all of them). Then pressed in new ones. Had to cut out a lca bolt so waiting on that to come in tomorrow.

Then off for an alignment Wednesday.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got most of the passenger side of my front suspension rebuild done. UCA, LCA, clevis bracket, inner and outer tie rods. I also had to replace the lower brake line because the old one completely broke off a couple of days ago. When I disconnected the caliper, I found out the previous owner (or a lazy mechanic I guess) completely rounded off the bleeders, and they were badly seized so no way to get them out. Luckily Napa was able to order a set of calipers for me and they should be here tomorrow morning.

I had to cut one of the old LCA bolts. It was completely seized inside the bushing. Even after 20+ minutes of hitting it with a BFH it wouldn't move at all. The other bolt just came right out, didn't even need a hammer :emotions34:.

The rest (wheel hub, knuckle w/ LBJ) and the driver's side to follow tomorrow.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got most of the passenger side of my front suspension rebuild done. UCA, LCA, clevis bracket, inner and outer tie rods. I also had to replace the lower brake line because the old one completely broke off a couple of days ago. When I disconnected the caliper, I found out the previous owner (or a lazy mechanic I guess) completely rounded off the bleeders, and they were badly seized so no way to get them out. Luckily Napa was able to order a set of calipers for me and they should be here tomorrow morning.

I had to cut one of the old LCA bolts. It was completely seized inside the bushing. Even after 20+ minutes of hitting it with a BFH it wouldn't move at all. The other bolt just came right out, didn't even need a hammer :emotions34:.

The rest (wheel hub, knuckle w/ LBJ) and the driver's side to follow tomorrow.
Wow sounds like we had the same day. Which lca bolt was frozen for you? Mine was pass front.

Sawzall with Diablo thick metal blade cut it like butter.

If you're replacing any lca bushings I pressed out the center metal piece then cut the outter metal sleeve and then after a couple taps with a hammer and chisel it collapsed and slid out.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
starting to think maybe I should save my old LCA bolts. They weren't bad, despite the claims of the alignment shop, and I'd already obtained replacements so I just used them.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow sounds like we had the same day. Which lca bolt was frozen for you? Mine was pass front.

Sawzall with Diablo thick metal blade cut it like butter.

If you're replacing any lca bushings I pressed out the center metal piece then cut the outter metal sleeve and then after a couple taps with a hammer and chisel it collapsed and slid out.

Same one here, passenger front.
I ruined 3 crappy thick metal sawzall blades from Harbor Freight on it. Ended up walking 2 miles (and 2 miles back) to a hardware store to get different blades, and those did the trick. Still took a while though.

I used a ball joint press kit to press out the old bushings, literally took only seconds.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same one here, passenger front.
I ruined 3 crappy thick metal sawzall blades from Harbor Freight on it. Ended up walking 2 miles (and 2 miles back) to a hardware store to get different blades, and those did the trick. Still took a while though.

I used a ball joint press kit to press out the old bushings, literally took only seconds.
Lmao I too killed a pack of hf thick metal blades then went to home Depot for the Diablo blade.

I rented a balljoint press kit with adapters but my air gun wouldn't put out enough tq to move the bushings. Worked on great on the balljoints though. I did use some of the cups from the kit on my press for the bushings.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lmao I too killed a pack of hf thick metal blades then went to home Depot for the Diablo blade.

I rented a balljoint press kit with adapters but my air gun wouldn't put out enough tq to move the bushings. Worked on great on the balljoints though. I did use some of the cups from the kit on my press for the bushings.

Harbor Freight stuff.....cracked several of their sockets twisting a bolt off...with my bare hands and I am no superman...broke the square part of a socket extension that snaps into the socket on another one and it stayed in the socket....wtf never had that happen before or since. Bent screwdriver shafts, etc. All metal is not created equal...

Dave

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harbor Freight stuff.....cracked several of their sockets twisting a bolt off...with my bare hands and I am no superman...broke the square part of a socket extension that snaps into the socket on another one and it stayed in the socket....wtf never had that happen before or since. Bent screwdriver shafts, etc. All metal is not created equal...

Dave
Yeah hf is cheap for a reason.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what you get at HF I guess. I'll definitely never get sawzall blades there again. But their impact sockets are perfectly fine, and the cheap electric impact I bought there works great.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Dave

I only have the impact HF sockets but they have been great ! They have touched at least 60-65 Jeeps ( KJs/ KKs/ TJs/XJs, some way more than once ) so far and not a one has broke.
Now regular sockets may not be as good but have other ones for light work

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh line is junk, but the Pittsburgh Pro line is Taiwan made and gets good reviews. I just have one set of them in metric deep wells 1/2" dr and haven't broken one yet. Better than Chinese Craftsman!

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while Mastercraft AKA Canadian Tire isn't a premium brand, their stuff takes a beating and i'm pretty sure its not made in Canada. Still going to run you 10 bucks a socket for pieces not in sets.

While HF isn't cornwell, Its really nice to be able to pick up some specialty sockets like Security torex or a complete set of 3/8 drive metric hex keys for 10 bucks or less for the 5 times you'll end up using it building ikea furniture / swing sets.

As long as its not an E14 or the 10 mm hex, you'll need those more.

HF did provide me a nice tarp for my boat, but their in lb torque wrench wasn't calibrated worth a shit.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I only have the impact HF sockets...
I started out with the cheap ones but soon started replacing them with the impact sets as I got into heavier work. The cheap ones are still OK for small things.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started out with the cheap ones but soon started replacing them with the impact sets as I got into heavier work. The cheap ones are still OK for small things.

^^small things like throwing at small squirrels.......LOL

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just went back and looked at this and we went from "what did you do to your jeep today" to "throwing sockets at small squirrels".......sorry, my fault...... LOL

------------------

Back to topic....

Dave

K9JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that it depends on what you get from HF, some tools are fine as you won't use them but a few times. I have broken their tools before but just last week I was doing suspension on two of my buddies cars and I snapped a 2foot SnapOnn 1/2 inch breaker bar. I've also broken a SnapOnn socket, so it can happen at any level.
I mostly stick to Craftsman as it's easily accessible and they have proven to hold up over the last 10 years or so for me. If I was a full time mechanic I would go with SnapOnn or MAC, but I can't justify the price for my hobbies.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that it depends on what you get from HF, some tools are fine as you won't use them but a few times. I have broken their tools before but just last week I was doing suspension on two of my buddies cars and I snapped a 2foot SnapOnn 1/2 inch breaker bar. I've also broken a SnapOnn socket, so it can happen at any level.
I mostly stick to Craftsman as it's easily accessible and they have proven to hold up over the last 10 years or so for me. If I was a full time mechanic I would go with SnapOnn or MAC, but I can't justify the price for my hobbies.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Even Craftsman is not what it was . Most , well all of my Craftsman rachets, extensions, sockets and full set of open and box end wrenches are what I bought in 1972, all still work as suppose to and been used a lot ,about 9 years as a Ford mechanic and then almost it seems full time with lifts etc since 82.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way.........................
what I did today, cleaned (with tooth brush and cleaner ) inside the door jambs and waxed them, then started again on the motor.