What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the thermostat. When I replaced it this past November, I went with a MotoRad one. It lasted only 8,000 miles. So, I decided to spend an extra five bucks this time to get a Mopar one.

Turns out, the 'Mopar' thermostats are actually MotoRads. It's the exact same model as the one I had in there, exact same markings and everything. Hopefully it'll last more than 8k miles this time...

scottg

Reaction score
Replaced the thermostat. When I replaced it this past November, I went with a MotoRad one. It lasted only 8,000 miles. So, I decided to spend an extra five bucks this time to get a Mopar one.

Turns out, the 'Mopar' thermostats are actually MotoRads. It's the exact same model as the one I had in there, exact same markings and everything. Hopefully it'll last more than 8k miles this time...

seems weird to only last 8k, did you test it to confirm it was actually bad? It's possible to get a bad part out of the box, but that seems extreme.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems weird to only last 8k, did you test it to confirm it was actually bad? It's possible to get a bad part out of the box, but that seems extreme.

I didn't test the old thermostat after I pulled it out (not sure how to do that), but the difference in performance made it obvious that it was bad.
The engine would take forever to get to normal operating temperature, and performance in general was suddenly a lot worse. Switched out the thermostat, and it runs great again.

scottg

Reaction score
I didn't test the old thermostat after I pulled it out (not sure how to do that), but the difference in performance made it obvious that it was bad.
The engine would take forever to get to normal operating temperature, and performance in general was suddenly a lot worse. Switched out the thermostat, and it runs great again.

Put the old thermostat in a pot of water on the stove, heat water until the thermostat "pops" and check the temperature of the water. Should be around 195.

Usually Just feeling the upper and lower radiation hoses to see if the thermostat is opening is enough, but maybe it was sticking. At least its working better now, and besides the cost of fluid, a thermostat is pretty cheap and easy.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the old thermostat in a pot of water on the stove, heat water until the thermostat "pops" and check the temperature of the water. Should be around 195.

Usually Just feeling the upper and lower radiation hoses to see if the thermostat is opening is enough, but maybe it was sticking. At least its working better now, and besides the cost of fluid, a thermostat is pretty cheap and easy.

Already got rid of the old one, but that's good to know for the next time!
It must have been stuck in the open position, because it would take about 20 minutes for the engine to reach the normal operating temperature.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some plates welded onto the detour backbone and got my KC Pro Sport Gravity G6 LED lights mounted. Now I just need to adjust them so they throw correctly.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

At work the failure rate for t-stats bought at parts houses is 50% and rarely have ever gotten one from the dealer that was bad out of the box.It can happen just not as likely.

Yes stant and motorad make alot of the OEM t-stats,the same ones you buy at advance or autozone,but the quality control is much higher for the t-stats they make for auto manufactures as OE parts.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanic agreed to install my JBA 2.5" Silver setup. Waiting on rear shocks from Fedex....giggling with excitement like a kid on Christmas!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to get a stock rim to replace the one that Firestone had to cut off a week prior to my lift. Found a guy on crackslist who wants $60 for one that matches my other 4.

I'm going to run 245x75R16's on them and swap them back and forth if I'm going to get out and do real 4x4 stuff. Maybe save my other rims from the wear and tear - kinda like changing out from tennis shoes to hiking boots.

Only with an impact wrench instead of laces :happy175:

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to get a stock rim to replace the one that Firestone had to cut off a week prior to my lift. Found a guy on crackslist who wants $60 for one that matches my other 4.

I'm going to run 245x75R16's on them and swap them back and forth if I'm going to get out and do real 4x4 stuff. Maybe save my other rims from the wear and tear - kinda like changing out from tennis shoes to hiking boots.

Only with an impact wrench instead of laces :happy175:

What trails are you planning on hitting once the weather melts the snow off the mountains?

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What trails are you planning on hitting once the weather melts the snow off the mountains?

Not really sure yet. There's some old mining towns I'd like to check out around Cripple Creek though. Bear Pass would be cool too. I've never been in that area before.

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the rim. Probably could have talked her down to $40, but she had texted to let me know her interview ran long ... and it was apparent it didn't go well.

Stopped at Harbor Frieght on the way home and got bigger jack stands so I don't need to bend over as far :happy175: And a 3 pack of prys bars (cuz that's how they sell 'em.

And yeah - we are lucky to have these trails out here... but we still gotta get out there and do it. Would like to find a group to go with though.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Changed the oil in the 05. Pretty dirty looking for 3500 miles.

Does oil suffer in the winter like the rest of the Jeep? I changed mine about a month ago and it was the worst I remember draining out.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does oil suffer in the winter like the rest of the Jeep? I changed mine about a month ago and it was the worst I remember draining out.

I think so but tough to tell in this vehicle. This is only the second time I've changed it in the 05 since I bought it in December. The first time it was full but very dirty and had a sketchy looking filter. I only drove it a couple of times before I changed it. PO must have been going to some quickie place and not sure how often. :favorites68: I used some synthetic and a Motorcraft filter and went with a modest OCI this time (3500) but it was filthy again. Probably do another short one. I'm just using Walmart Supertech Synth for a few changes then I'll probably switch to Mobil 1.

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to change the rear diff oil and swap out the old cover for my new ARB cover, but all the bolts have been rounded off, presumably from previous oil changes. Ill have to wait now until I can get one of those sockets that grip rounded bolts.