What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I wondered about the hood vents causing a problem. #6 likes to short to the block when it gets wet.

8 or 9 years with hood vents and no issues at all , sat out in rain etc never an issue.
Now if you have screen doors then a lot more water and possibly issues, like removing your hood and leaving it at home. common sense ya know:whip::happy175:
We also found not all coil packs have the rubber flap around them which allows some moisture to enter

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8 or 9 years with hood vents and no issues at all , sat out in rain etc never an issue.
Now if you have screen doors then a lot more water and possibly issues, like removing your hood and leaving it at home. common sense ya know:whip::happy175:
We also found not all coil packs have the rubber flap around them which allows some moisture to enter
I've driven Mustangs with no hood at all for months and never had an issue. It's probably coincidence, the boots and sealing skirt do a good job of keeping the plugs dry

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled all of the coil packs, sure enough no skirts. Weird becuase they came with the Mopar crate engine thats in the Jeep. Replaced 3/6 with new ones, had a skirt and used tons of dielectric grease to help seal it all off on all of them.

But I have driven many cars/trucks with no hoods and never any issues, even in rain. But the three of us that has these vents all have the same problems.

It rained today at work, so before it started to get bad I put a "paper blanket" under the hood. Got back to the Jeep at 11pm, and it was soaked. So water is definitely getting under the hood. Maybe coming from the bottom up......She started right up, had a slight miss, but after getting her warmed up and down the road, she calmed down and evened up. Seems like the "paper blanket" helped keep the water off the coils. But I cant do that every time it rains. Gonna let it happen naturally next time and see what happens. Might just take my Tig welder and seal up the vents.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've driven Mustangs with no hood at all for months and never had an issue. It's probably coincidence, the boots and sealing skirt do a good job of keeping the plugs dry

Little difference in where they sit as well ( spark plugs)
I ran a 55 Chev for 3 months as well with no hood, but again with plugs down along the side no issues

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled all of the coil packs, sure enough no skirts. Weird becuase they came with the Mopar crate engine thats in the Jeep. Replaced 3/6 with new ones, had a skirt and used tons of dielectric grease to help seal it all off on all of them.

But I have driven many cars/trucks with no hoods and never any issues, even in rain. But the three of us that has these vents all have the same problems.

It rained today at work, so before it started to get bad I put a "paper blanket" under the hood. Got back to the Jeep at 11pm, and it was soaked. So water is definitely getting under the hood. Maybe coming from the bottom up......She started right up, had a slight miss, but after getting her warmed up and down the road, she calmed down and evened up. Seems like the "paper blanket" helped keep the water off the coils. But I cant do that every time it rains. Gonna let it happen naturally next time and see what happens. Might just take my Tig welder and seal up the vents.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I only had one issue like that after power washing the engine bay. Other times I came out with no issues.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What hood louvers do you have?

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little difference in where they sit as well ( spark plugs)
I ran a 55 Chev for 3 months as well with no hood, but again with plugs down along the side no issues
The 4.6 in my Cobra has the cop right on top like the Kj. The tops of a cop are encapsulated in epoxy so the only place moisture will effect it would be the boots(cracked, split, rotted) or the connector plug. The connector plugs have a seal, so it can't really get much moisture there.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The 4.6 in my Cobra has the cop right on top like the Kj. The tops of a cop are encapsulated in epoxy so the only place moisture will effect it would be the boots(cracked, split, rotted) or the connector plug. The connector plugs have a seal, so it can't really get much moisture there.

Oh thought we were talking about real Mustangs back in the day:shrug::icon_lol:
Yeap 4.6s have them on top, didn't know thats what you had

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh thought we were talking about real Mustangs back in the day:shrug::icon_lol:
Yeap 4.6s have them on top, didn't know thats what you had
I've had a dozen of those as well, but they are tfi ignition and plug wire. The cop didn't start until 96+ in the 4.6 dohc and in the crown vics. Stock for stock the 4.6 has a huge hp advantage over the old 5.0's we all grew up around. The 5.0/302 motors just respond to mods extremely well. But when was the last time you saw a 280k mile 5.0

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First day off in weeks! Replaced the worst tire on my '04. Finally got around to installing resistor pack for ac/heater fan motor. Just in time for winter. Placed ad in St. Louis area craigslist for 16" rim an left rear tail light...woohoo! I'm exhausted, time for a beer or three!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had a dozen of those as well, but they are tfi ignition and plug wire. The cop didn't start until 96+ in the 4.6 dohc and in the crown vics. Stock for stock the 4.6 has a huge hp advantage over the old 5.0's we all grew up around. The 5.0/302 motors just respond to mods extremely well. But when was the last time you saw a 280k mile 5.0

I grew up around 390s in Mustangs:icon_lol:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Had both a Torino, and a Mustang with 428SCJ. Plug changes were a memoriable experience.

Bob

Used to work in a Ford Lincoln Mercury dealership and yes when you saw one of those come in for a tune up, you went to lunch:happy175:
I had 2 Mustangs ( 68 and 69 ) and a 69 Cougar all with 390s
Never had any of the new fangled what they called 5.0s :emotions34:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Went out to drive home from work late last night and heard a chime go off. I knew I had plenty of gas...

...then I saw the G A S C A P notice. Got out, tightened it, no luck. Got out again, took it clear off and then put it back on. No more chime.

??????? :shrug:

Latest posts

Members online