What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the Lib and the family to Frankenmuth to try out a new BBQ place and fool around in Bronners. Was a good day.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the front Dside brakes apart again. Still can't find the source of the clatter I get when lightly braking after thing heat up a bit. Cold it's dead silent. After a few stops the clattering begins. Looks like the slides are not holding the pads tight enough. Must get worse when if gets warm. Need to get some new hardware since the pads look great. Drove me nuts all week long which, for me, is a short trip. :Insane:

I'd cautiously suggest you may have a rotor with a bit too much runout. Seen them a few times when they don't have a noticeable shake at highway speeds, but when slower, IE a turn on one city street to another and the pads will "climb" a tight spot on the rotor and then clunk back into place on a looser area. (Think thick and thin areas). At just the right speed this will sound very much like a clatter.

Bob

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pads will "climb" a tight spot on the rotor and then clunk...At just the right speed this will sound very much like a clatter.Bob
On my KJ, the rear rotors made it feel like a wheel was bent. You'd only notice it going through the parking lot or at really slow speeds(happened from 1-25mph.) Hard braking caused them to chatter and sometimes click like a cv. Once the pads wore uneven they sounded like wheel bearings going out. The brakes were the last thing I would think was the cause of the noise but they were. Using parts store caliper slides instead of Mopar was another pain in my ass, and was having sil-glide the pins every other week to keep them from sticking.

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd cautiously suggest you may have a rotor with a bit too much runout. Seen them a few times when they don't have a noticeable shake at highway speeds, but when slower, IE a turn on one city street to another and the pads will "climb" a tight spot on the rotor and then clunk back into place on a looser area. (Think thick and thin areas). At just the right speed this will sound very much like a clatter.

Bob

Sounds like a good place to start. Like you said it feels like something catching but even in a straight line for the clicking or clatter. I noticed that both rotors had some unusual looking wear on the inside so maybe. Weird thing is it's only the one side and it's smooth and dead silent until lightly braking but only when warm. There is no sensation of warping or wobbling. Hard stops are smooth and quiet. I'll probably just go and replace the rotors and pads. The pads aren't that old but the rotors have been on there for a bit and I never replace rotors without new pads too.

You'd only notice it going through the parking lot or at really slow speeds(happened from 1-25mph.) Hard braking caused them to chatter and sometimes click like a cv. Once the pads wore uneven they sounded like wheel bearings going out. The brakes were the last thing I would think was the cause of the noise but they were. Using parts store caliper slides instead of Mopar was another pain in my ass, and was having sil-glide the pins every other week to keep them from sticking.

Mine is still only happening with light braking. Have to have some pressure but once it clamps down it's completely quiet. Slide or guide pins are still original and seem to be working as far as I can tell. Now that you mentioned it, the "abutment clips" are from the previous set of pads so may have been the cause of the funky wear. Current set didn't include them and I guess I cheaped out. I did pull them off and clean everything, then tweaked them so the pads would ride a bit tighter.

Thanks to both of you. May well be a combo of what you both described. I'm taking a test drive in a little bit to see if what I did yesterday helped.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually throw some sil-glide on the clips too. Make sure that the ears of the pads are smooth and don't have any thick paint ridges or anything. Had to take some Emory cloth to my powerstop pads to clean some thick paint off that made them drag.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually throw some sil-glide on the clips too. Make sure that the ears of the pads are smooth and don't have any thick paint ridges or anything. Had to take some Emory cloth to my powerstop pads to clean some thick paint off that made them drag.

Just got back from a quick test drive and no noise! I did grease the pins and clips lightly. They seemed to have a bit of dirty buildup on the clips and I never overdo the caliper grease. Maybe I got it a little dirty and it accumilated with the grease. I did get it into some mud a while back. I'm leaning toward the clips being worn. I tweaked them a bit to snug everything up. I'll see how it acts this week during my back and forth to work as this is my DD.

BTW, I had the same experience with Powerstops on my Avenger. Looked like a paint drip didn't drip and left a tight spot. Wouldn't allow the pad to slide right.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove to the sheriff's office to pick up my pair of 8's, which were stolen the one time I left my rig unlocked.
You must be registered for see images

My driveway is almost a mile long, and I have 2 dogs that wouldn't have let them leave with anything they didn't bring. I left for work one morning and when I turned the radio on nothing happened. Got out to check the fuse and notice my subs were gone. I always screw one of those $6 GPS tracker watches that runners use into panel the subs mount to in every one of my boxes. Can't tell it's there unless you feel the back of the panel (which there wouldn't be a reason to do). It took the sheriff's almost 5 months to get the company to give the GPS trail, which led them straight to my subs...almost 150 miles away. Like I thought the whole time, it was someone my dogs were familiar with that stole them. I didn't suspect the person that actually did it, but the cops followed the trail to him, then to his brothers house in Gainesville. I just ordered a $12 tracker that I can track online so it doesn't take so long if it happens again. Everybody said, "I don't know why you always do that, it's just a waste of money it will never work." Turns out its one of the most genius ideas I've had in a while (besides buying my first Jeep). Bet the bastards thought they got away with it. Glad to have them back(and in perfect working condition), gonna add one more and call it done.

The_Dealer: 1 Crooks: -2

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, I had the same experience with Powerstops on my Avenger. Looked like a paint drip didn't drip and left a tight spot. Wouldn't allow the pad to slide right.

Yup, that's exactly how they were. I had to tweak the clips a little as well, as mine were a little loose on the bracket. I ended up buying 3 front/rear Mopar slide kits when I heard they were going to stop production. Should last me until SAS time.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DEALER! THAT'S GREAT TO HEAR, the bastards all too often have free run with whatever they wish to steal!

Hope you have a bit of "education" in mind for the "buddy".

Bob

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
link to those GPS tracker things you used?

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove to the sheriff's office to pick up my pair of 8's, which were stolen the one time I left my rig unlocked.
You must be registered for see images

My driveway is almost a mile long, and I have 2 dogs that wouldn't have let them leave with anything they didn't bring. I left for work one morning and when I turned the radio on nothing happened. Got out to check the fuse and notice my subs were gone. I always screw one of those $6 GPS tracker watches that runners use into panel the subs mount to in every one of my boxes. Can't tell it's there unless you feel the back of the panel (which there wouldn't be a reason to do). It took the sheriff's almost 5 months to get the company to give the GPS trail, which led them straight to my subs...almost 150 miles away. Like I thought the whole time, it was someone my dogs were familiar with that stole them. I didn't suspect the person that actually did it, but the cops followed the trail to him, then to his brothers house in Gainesville. I just ordered a $12 tracker that I can track online so it doesn't take so long if it happens again. Everybody said, "I don't know why you always do that, it's just a waste of money it will never work." Turns out its one of the most genius ideas I've had in a while (besides buying my first Jeep). Bet the bastards thought they got away with it. Glad to have them back(and in perfect working condition), gonna add one more and call it done.

The_Dealer: 1 Crooks: -2

Congrats buddy glad you got those jerkos caught up. Thieves think they can get away with anything not this time. If you have the option to press charges do so to the fullest use full retail price for the subs and custom cost on a box is upwards of $200 sounds like a felony to me.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My transmission started shifting rough around 20-23 i guess thats 2nd to 3rd if i stay on the gas its shifts a little slow but if i for some reason ease off the gas at that time its a hard shift real hard all my other gears shift normal any ideas might have to start a thread for this. I have the 45 dropped my pan 2 months ago did the filters and put new fluid in.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My transmission started shifting rough around 20-23 i guess thats 2nd to 3rd if i stay on the gas its shifts a little slow but if i for some reason ease off the gas at that time its a hard shift real hard all my other gears shift normal any ideas might have to start a thread for this. I have the 45 dropped my pan 2 months ago did the filters and put new fluid in.

That ***** :favorites68: You used ATF+4 for the fresh fluid, yes?

With the 45 there are some issues with solenoids going bad - pop out the old put in the new and the ****** is back to normal. I have the 42 or I'd be able to be more help. Good idea on a fresh thread - that will get you more responses.

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea still good i literally just checked it yesterday seemed to start after i checked it or maybe it was just on my mind.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started a thread hope i can figure it out before things get worse. Thanks for the input guys.

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove the 07 to the polling station to vote in our federal election.

Gyro