What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
You're all having more fun than I am. Shouldn't have got the CRD.

I surfed forums seeing how deep into the engine and pocket I'll have to go on my interminable timing belt job.

Considering the VW TDI engine swap... Anyone tried that?

Some of my best and WORST days have been spent commercial fishing.

Lester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I took the Libby on a 210 mile round trip to visit a couple of my daughters and their families (I have 4 daughters).

On the return trip, at about the halfway point (55 miles from home), I suddenly get a strong odor from the vents. The odor smelled like rubber burning. My first thought was that the after-market 80/100 watt headlight bulbs were too much for the electrical and perhaps the wires or sockets were overheated. I found a place to pull over under a bright light and popped the hood. The wires and sockets were cool to the touch, so no problem there. Drove a few more miles and suddenly the A/C stops cooling and the odor intensified to the point it made my eyes burn.

Pulled over under another bright light in a restaurant parking lot and popped the hood. Super strong odor and some black goo on the high pressure A/C line. Shut off the A/C and rolled down my windows for the rest of the trip.

Boy, I'm afraid that this is going to be an expensive repair job. Taking it in to my mechanic today and let him give me the bad news.
:mad3: (liblightk)​

Libby is going to the shop today for a $1200 A/C and tune-up job.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took her out to take some pictures turned out ok

Last edited by a moderator:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant seem to figure out how to get multiple pics in a post

Last edited by a moderator:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Host your pics on photobucket, or something similar, then copy the IMG code and paste in the post. That way also, the actual pics will display instead of little thumbnails.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Host your pics on photobucket, or something similar, then copy the IMG code and paste in the post. That way also, the actual pics will display instead of little thumbnails.

Thank you for the pointers i knew there was a way i just wasnt figuring it out

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the ATF filters (both pickup in bottom of pan and spin on). WHY they put a d@mned spin on INSIDE the pan is beyond my comprehension! Replaced both front and rear diff fluids with premium dyno GL5 and limited slip additive in rear. Ran out of time or I'd have done transfer as well. On my last three vehicles I've drilled a hole in the trans pan and brazed a threaded steel plug over it so I can drain the trans pan without such a horrendous mess as one gets trying to figure out where the oil's gonna want to spill out all over everything when dropping a full pan. I expect I'll pull the plug and refill with fresh ATF+4 at the next 2-3 motor oil changes.

Also had an issue with ac/heat vent selector not changing from defrost position no matter where the switch was set. Luckily, the other day while running wires for a MAGLIGHT rechargable I'd knocked a vacuum line loose. Simple fix.

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the ATF filters (both pickup in bottom of pan and spin on). WHY they put a d@mned spin on INSIDE the pan is beyond my comprehension! Replaced both front and rear diff fluids with premium dyno GL5 and limited slip additive in rear. Ran out of time or I'd have done transfer as well. On my last three vehicles I've drilled a hole in the trans pan and brazed a threaded steel plug over it so I can drain the trans pan without such a horrendous mess as one gets trying to figure out where the oil's gonna want to spill out all over everything when dropping a full pan. I expect I'll pull the plug and refill with fresh ATF+4 at the next 2-3 motor oil changes.

Also had an issue with ac/heat vent selector not changing from defrost position no matter where the switch was set. Luckily, the other day while running wires for a MAGLIGHT rechargable I'd knocked a vacuum line loose. Simple fix.

Bob

Yea i made a mess too when i dropped my trans pan uss2defiant has a method of syphoning out alot of the fluid through the dip stick or satchelmcqueen on youtube made a nifty gadget to do it with a brake bleeder pump keep an eye on you pan my oil pressure sensor is leaking little by little with the new atf and on a side note they do make after market pans with a drain plug but i feel they are pretty pricey

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been "dropping" ATF pans for 40 years (occasionally more literally than you'd imagine), the ones that don't make a mess are the exception.

Ya, the drain plug thing cost probably $2.00, +approx 1/2 hour of my valuable time:gr_grin:.

Bob

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i made a mess too when i dropped my trans pan uss2defiant has a method of syphoning out alot of the fluid through the dip stick or satchelmcqueen on youtube made a nifty gadget to do it with a brake bleeder pump keep an eye on you pan my oil pressure sensor is leaking little by little with the new atf and on a side note they do make after market pans with a drain plug but i feel they are pretty pricey

basically use some sort of fluid transfer tool to get most of your ATF out of the pan through the dipstick.

I DIYed a vacuum fluid transfer with a mini air compressor creating a vacuum in a catch can, from there a line through the dipstick.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered new 10mm spacers and now looking to see if I can find extended wheel studs, can still use my extended shank lug nuts but would eventually like to get studs to make it a bit safer. Keep in mind, I drove all the way to Florida and back, with 8mm spacers, on stock wheel studs with my extended shank lug nuts with no issues.

Lester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I did get the A/C system replaced and an alignment done. The tune-up didn't happen....I was quoted a price Saturday of ~$100 for a tune-up. Today, however, was a different story....$689 for a basic tune-up (plugs, coil packs, and fuel injector cleaning)!!! Really??? I'm not a mechanic and don't pretend to be, but I think I'll change my own plugs and the coil-packs on it are good, so they shouldn't need replacing. Sheesh!

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coil on boot plugs should only be replaced when they go bad, though some manufacturers do recommend that you replace them when you do the tune up..... I hate that.

Lester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop wanted to charge me $13.00 per plug and $28.00 per plug installation. Just the plugs! The coil packs were priced separately for parts and installation. Heck, I may not even need a tune...I get 19.4mpg city and 23.8 hwy in FT 4WD.

Last edited:

striped98

Reaction score
Had tune up,
oil change,
flush coolant, new thermostat
new tires.jetzon trail gaurd AP 235-70-16.
looks and runs like a new truck.